Curious about others' opinions on this one

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nootka

Reaction score
Does it kind of rankle you that some of these new movies are two hour commercials for a product or several, and THEN you tend to see that person also promoting in commercials on tv as well?

I don't have problems with a little bit, but sometimes these go too far.

The Transporter, for example, both of them, were just car ads glorified with a weak storyline and action (which, admittedly, I enjoy) sequences.

I think what gets me most hot under the collar is these celebrities (cruise comes to mind just because he's at the forefront right now) selling their religions or cults with their status. I have to say I'm pretty much boycotting anything he does b/c of the silly concept of a religion based on a science fiction story alone, the fact that he's trying to claim that it's the answer to people's problems (such as depression, etc.) is to me, dangerous. I know reasonable people won't listen, but I think there will be a fairly big group that will follow just because of who he is. I find it a bit predatory and a lot narcissistic.

Seems to happen quite a bit. The media doesn't help, either.

I imagine it's been happening for centuries. Just curious who inspires your desire to avoid their products/movies/tv, etc. It used to be Michael Jordan, as he just couldn't seem to stay away and he was worth so much it seemed he never had enough, he was EVERYWHERE. *LOL* Thankfully he's gone away to hide at least a little.

Sorry if I've offended anyone, just my .02.

Liz M.

OMG Nootka, I couldnt have said that better myself. And oddly enough, Tom Cruise is one of the main ones I cant stand. And all thaat scientology crap/...Give me a break. All I know is that shortly after reading dianetics (Or what ever it was called)By L Ron Hubbard, my brother became so depressed, we honestly thought he was suicidal... Luckily all turned out ok and he doesnt believe that crap.

Why is it that these celebs think that their opinions are worth more than mine? BULL..

I still say why is Alec Baldwin even still in this country? He threatened to leave the country if Bush was elected... Hey, dont let old glory snap ya in the butt on the way out! :aktion033:

Ok, Ive said my piece, time to calm myslef down!LOL
default_wink.png
:

*LOL* TM, that is funny!

Yes, there are some "better than the rest" celebs who just think they can control a major group of people because they're so "beautiful/rich/talented" whatever and influence their opinions, etc.

I know it happens a lot, but I have to put the brakes on when it's so blatant and repugnant.

Some of these people have far more money and assets than anyone will know what to do with, they get free things all the time, their personalities seem to be that of a dishrag, yet someone who is just learning to think for themselves makes life choices based on these "wannabes" paid opinions.

Scientology is indeed a pet peeve w/myself and my family, particularly my dad. Just does NOT make good sense esp. when you consider how it started! If that can happen to turn into a religion, I guess it goes to show just how gullible many people are.

Whatshisname "Chef" from South Park Isaac Hayes is one of the biggest hypocrites out there, too. His decision to quit the show when the creators made light of "his" religion (Scientology) just shows how shallow he is, seeing as how the show poked fun at every organization/regligion under the sun and he went right along UNTIL the Scientology. Their money was good enough to a point, I guess. Maybe the truth hurts?

L.

I wasn't going to comment on this thread, or touch it with a ten foot pole, because of it's intense "contraversial" potential.

However, to remain silent could also be just as detrimental... :no:

So...what to do???

Pray, and then follow my heart as prayerfully lead with what to say.

First, I think with all thats going on since the onset of the war with 9/11, many people are desperately "seeking" answers however possible to them, and on many different levels in which they each can individually accept or not accept. This is where it is most important, (for me anyways, and hopefully those of Christian faith), to always hold in prayers that God's truth be revealed to those who do seek His truth, and in a very discetionary and prayeruflly lead capacity of faith as a Christian.

Our Christian Bible teaches of the coming of many false faiths/religions, designed, by "satan" or "evil forces" if you will, to distract/divert the hearts of man from God's genuine truths, as time for the coming of Christ's return for us approaches.

Some will even hold as doctrin the "interwining" of multiple beliefs/faiths/religions to be as one true, and thereby, according to Christ's teaching, is in of itself a false religion. As our Christian Bible teaches that Christ does not share His throne in that manner as one "universal" entity.

Ok, I know that statement alone will grant me the need to get a flame suit. But, if folks could just understand that I'm not making judgement against a "right or wrong", only making a judgement for MYSELF in what I can accept to believe for myself, and that's all I was stating by saying that...just what "I", personally, have come to learn and accept for myself, based on the teachings of my faith. Christ is only that of Holy Trinity, being God the Father, God The Son, God the Holy Spirit.

Those who do not follow Christ, or Christian teachings may feel different or believe otherwise. And that is ok...for them.

There again though, is where it is the Christian duty of those who do follow (or at least for "me" anyways), to always hold in prayers for those who do seek "God's truth", that it be revealed to them, through prayerfully lead sought after answers of God's truth for them.

That said....I find it interesting of the subject of this thread being that of the "Scientology" belief system. In that, I wholeheartedly DO NOT follow nor believe of it's teachings...from what little I have been able to gather of what it even is. Very concerning of me for those who do believe this stuff, in what little I do know of it.

Here is an interesting internet source of what I've come across of it:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~fishman/fable.htm

This being a very Anti-Christian organization...has some very alarming teachings that are reaching globally in numbers. It's almost no wonder "the world" is angry with Americans in general, based on this particular "belief system" alone. Then multiply that by the true vast numbers in diversity of faith based systems that are out there.

Christianity...being just one of them, and also a few of the far older faiths as among Muslim, Jewish, Buddists, and so on. To include even Scientology, although that one is only a little over 40 years or so, in it's existence.

Again, who is to say (of those so very old faiths or any even) is the one right or wrong to follow...only the individual can answer that for him/herself of what they can or cannot accept to believe and then follow...or not follow.

But, for me personally, as one of Christian faith...I hold it my solemn Christian dutiful prayer that God's truth be revealed...to all who do earnestly seek such truth.

Aside from all that though...(as this is always a debatable issue that could be discussed till the cows come home, and has been throughout history of man)...

On another note....just a question of curiosity in something that has intrigued me for some time now...

I know that Mr. Walt Disney was one of the early followers of this Scientology stuff. My question is...does anyone know much of Mr. Disney's parents? I've searched the net the world over almost, and can barely find any historical references to them at all, other than their names as parents of Walt, and of their forevermore resting place, here in Paisley, FL. Ironically enough.

What of they themselves though? No one seems to know much at all about them. Are there no historians (or possibly even family descent) at all out there, in the know, of what and who Mr. Disney's parents where, what their lives were comprised of, beyond that as the parents of Walt and siblings???

I truly would love to know more of them, if there is ANYONE on God's green earth, who exists or lives today, that could reveal more of them?

Is there such a person???
default_unsure.png
:

Or is this one of life's many "mysteries" that I will just have to wait till Heaven to learn answers of?
default_wink.png
:

I can't explain "why" I'm so intrigued by the mystery of who they were in their lifetimes, as I truly don't even know why..I just am???

Last edited by a moderator:
I still say why is Alec Baldwin even still in this country? He threatened to leave the country if Bush was elected... Hey, dont let old glory snap ya in the butt on the way out!
I'm surprised anyone still remembers that. Many of us would gladly have paid for his one way ticket out of the country.

Oh there are plenty of others I wouldnt mind seeing leave this country. Whoopy Goldberg, Barbra Striesand, Ben Affleck, to name a few.... Like I said, dont get me going!!!LOL...

I laughed my butt off when Bush was elected, guess all those celebs opinions dont mean as much to us, as they think it should.

That whole scientology stuff is just frightening... And to have so many celebs out their spouting off about the benefits from it, is truly sickening.:smileypuke:

Will I PAY to go see Mission Impossible 3? NOPE.. Did I see MI 2? NOPE....Anything with whoopy, ben , babbs? Not if I can help it.

Now this is only a sliver of the celebs that rub me wrong..Paris Hilton,????UGH..please, I dont type fast enough to go on about how much I dispise her. Do I stay at Hiltons when I travel??LOL.. You guessed it! :no:

I never really thought of it that way. When i go see a movie or rent one, I rent it for the story not to pick out whats advertised in it. However i can see what your talking about, the transporter is one big add :lol: but i'm still confussed as to why people payed for that poor story line anyway. what you said made me think of the new "Italian Job" ever since I saw it I wanted a mini cooper :lol: . And i can understand why the people who make these movies do it as well. people go to movies to see something they have never experinced, to have a story told to them, and most of the time they walk out thinking "i would have loved to be inside that story" people want to live the movies. so when they see that they can have something that was in a movie easlily then they will buy it.

I understand what you are saying, I'm not going to touch the religion thing. The best thing to do is not watch movies that you think are going to try to sell you something you don't want to buy, it's no more different then hanging up on the tell-a-marketer.

Ain't going to touch the religion thing, I personally am VERY confident in my own beliefs and don't let others scare me, but I'm always interested in what others believe.

However Celebs and politics makes me want to PUKE these days, I was so upset the other day! I DEARLY love the Douglas's, Kirk and Michael, but to see Michael on the Jay Leno show the other day saying the reason he came to Cleveland was to help Dennis Kucinich just turned my stomach, ugh!!!! :smileypuke: He has no CLUE about the great BOY BLUNDER as he's so infamously known here in our little state, give me a BREAK!!!

Sigh, and to see Paul Michael Glasier doing quickie home equity loans is so incredibly sad, what happened to his ethics? Talking people into losing they're homes, so incredibly sad. Thats right, tell people to turn those CC debts into a home debt, then if you can't pay it they just take your home!!

I for one make it a huge deal NOT to follow advertising and to actually laugh at it, you can NOT make me want or buy that stuff, I've gone back to my roots on my lifestyle and will NOT be sold by a label, I don't care who you are, ain't selling it to me :bgrin

And Barbara? PLEEEEEZE ship her out already! Don't you love those that go back on their word?

Oh, and I was more impressed way back when with Tom dancing in his tidy whities to Bob Seger way back when, lol, can we go back to the fabulous 80's?

Please?

krisp

KrisP..Where in Ohio are you? Im in SW Ohio, in the boonies.

We seem to share a lot of the same opinions...
default_yes.gif
:

Is your name Kris or is it your nickname? Im a Krista P..LOL

My mind is a veritable fortress of single-minded determination and focu ... Oooh! Lookit the Horsey!!

So far, the commercial types of things in movies haven't bothered me. I sort of get a kick out of identifying that kind of product placement.

The thing about celebrities that does really bug me (especially when their opinions aren't in line with mine -- go figure) is when they make policital endorsements. It just really gets under my skin because there's a huge number of people that will put way more significance on their (often assinine) political opinions than those opinions ever deserve.

Good topic, btw
default_smile.png

I am a bit sour on this topic and should
default_shutup.gif
: . I was raised in Clearwater Florida and know way TOO much of the happenings in that "religion" of Tom Cruise
default_sad.png
I rode the same bus with kids that lived in the "hotel" and they talked often ...scared me enough not to ever listen! These 13 year olds were considered adults and had there own apartments and no supervision at all and they "shared" pot with those who wanted it (made their life sound cool to others and others got sucked in that way I guess)!! I remember once in Jr High I saw John Travolta walking down the road and about died - but soon realized why he was there and I didn't like him so much after that....the stars usually showed up during election times.

I just found this group of articles of the history of that Scientology's rape on my home town if your interested

http://www.holysmoke.org/cw.htm

I think they're incredibly annoying, but really I don't pay any attention to them at all when it comes to product endorsement, etc. I realize that using celebrity faces to push your products is good marketing, although I'm not any more likely to buy a griddle from George Foreman than I am to have bought a Mr Coffee from that baseball guy that pluigged them way back--heck, I think that was the very first celebrity endorsement ever... or was if Joe Nameth with his pantyhose?

Personal issues... very annoying, either religious or political, but Tom's smile isn't going to get me to trot over to a scientology seminar or whatever. for the most part I consider those types of things the most sleezy of all though.

Celebrities on commercials are just business, but when they shove their personal agendas at us, that's tacky.

VERY annoying! I remember seeing The Assasins, with Stallone and Sharon Stone. That whole movie was about killing people yet it was absolutely loaded with anti-gun stuff. Makes a lot of sense
default_wacko.png
:

The Scientologists here have started having a booth at our Flea market. They try to coax you in to get a "stress level" survey.....yeah right!

I don't go by what celebrities are selling (well, maybe Tom Selleck :bgrin ). Most of them seem to have mush for brains anyway.

hmmm...

I have to agree and disagree...

There are several issues here...

PRODUCT ENDORSEMENT IN MOVIES

I know everyone knows this, but I'll say it anyway -- actors and actresses do not have anything to do with product placement, unless perhaps they are also the producers of the flick. Perhaps we can criticize the likes of Tom Cruise, since he most likely has the clout to keep it out of his movies if he were of a mind to do so. Even so, let's not confuse product endorsement in movies with doing commercials...the latter is definitely within the individual's control, the former is not.

CELEBRITY OPINIONS AND ENDORSEMENTS

Let's turn this around: if they were NOT well-known, would anyone criticize them or question their right to speak out? Just because they have become well-known, are they no longer to be allowed free speech? They have signed no waiver of their right to state their opinions. Yes, they are more likely than others to get their opinions broadcast, but even that is not their own fault. It is the fault of those who are too mindless to form their own opinion without Paris Hilton saying it's okay.

I believe that EVERYONE, famous or not, has a right and OBLIGATION to use every means available to speak out and stand up for what they believe. Everyone also has the right and OBLIGATION to not listen, or better yet, speak out if they object.

Now, let's be honest...

I'll admit that I get irritated with Charlton Heston (although he has my sincere sympathy for suffering from alzheimers...) for using his celebrity to promote the NRA. But I recognize that I am annoyed because I disagree with him and I vehemently oppose his position. I do not question his right to voice his opinion, however repugnant it is to me.

Funny how we object more when the celebrity speaking out disagrees with our own values and opinions...

(Even funnier how when Tom Selleck is on the tube, I turn off the volume so that I can watch the scenery without having to listen to what that handsome mug is saying...hehe...ahem...)

SCIENTOLOGY

Yep...it's crap...especially when L. Ron Hubbard, back when he was a writer of science fiction, stated publicly that the easiest way to make a fortune is to start your own religion...

Many more popular religions also become objectionable when relentlessly shoved down your throat...but it once again falls under freedom of expression. If one truly has faith, they are naturally driven to express their beliefs -- and it is their absolute right.

Do I have to listen to it? NO...and when it is on TV I have a hair trigger with the remote control. I may hit mute or change channels (or turn it of all together), but I'll fight to the death their right to speak out, no matter who they are.

BACK IT UP

Finally...what about those like Angelina Jolie, who donates one third of her income to charity? Is this a celebrity who should just shut up? I've never seen any of her movies and don't plan to, but I'm glad she uses her fame and fortune to promote causes that she believes in, and that she puts her money where her mouth is. Not many of us have the means to back up what we say so effectively...thank goodness that some are in that position.

susanne, you make excellent points.

I suppose that my repugnance on the subject stems from some disagreement, but I also feel badly for people who identify with these people and make mistakes because they listen to their advice (i.e., Mr. Cruise's take on depression/meds, etc.) and then it just rankles me, too, that movies have to have a LOT of the product placement (I really don't mind some, and as long as it doesnt' overpower the subject line, no big deal) and then you see the celebrity all over endorsing the same product, it just gets a bit much. And on top of that, you see actual commercials while waiting for the movie to start, that you paid $8 or more to see!

I agree there are some celebrities who do a lot of good, and even the ones who are doing things I can't understand, if they're quiet about it as far as wanting to change other people's minds, I'm fine.

Not against the right to speak out/have an opinion, I just get tired of it turning into another form of mind control and the brainwashing of some ad campaigns. *LOL*

(good to see ya, susanne, how are things?)

Loved Jill's quote here:

It just really gets under my skin because there's a huge number of people that will put way more significance on their (often assinine) political opinions than those opinions ever deserve.
*LMAO*"ohhhhsnap!" (as Colton would say)

L.

if they're quiet about it as far as wanting to change other people's minds, I'm fine.

Liz,

I totally agree about product placements and the commercialism that seems to creep into everything in our lives...

But as far as wanting people to keep quiet about their points of view...as someone who never keeps my mouth shut, I can hardly expect others to do so! I guess I just assume that everyone else is as mouthy as I am! What's the saying...

"Well-behaved women seldom make history"

(I'm doing well...up to my eyeballs as usual...)

Hmm...yeah, maybe I'm not making myself clear.

I think what bothers me most is the ones that tend to come across as judgmental as well as the ones that are trying to get others to "follow them" it all boils down to some form of advertising to me, or some sort of power/ego trip.

Guess it's human nature to be flattered/want others to think the way you do, but how boring would that be, if it came true?

Glad you're doing well. Any more shows on the agenda?

I had to opt out of the Area 8 show, just not enough $$$ more than anything, though I'm disappointed for Kyan not be able to show his little self off as a "mommy free" little man (hasn't happened yet, but would have by then).

Heheh, Gramma told me to tell you she has not had a fritter since February and she wants the little ones w/the diced apples on top next time (I think Freddy's has those) *LMAO* J/K it's my turn to come YOUR way! I know what Mingus likes best (admiration) but what about your other little guys?

L.

All three of them LOVE breakfast cereal...Keith bonded with them over Frosted Mini Wheats...sort of a guy thing, LOL. Of course, this time of year they think they're in heaven if you give them grass and scratch their remaining winter woolies...

I'm still debating the area B show, but I'd be on my own and that just isn't as much fun. I think I'd just go for Friday, then come back for the Columbia County Schooling Show that Saturday. It's just one mini class (although I'll see if we can cross enter and show against the big boys too...), but it should be a blast...sort of a Hwy 30 contingent show. Perhaps Mouse and/or Kyan would enjoy it? Or Brandon could show Cherry Bomb?

I don't know if this counts but I would buy a mattress from Linsday Wagner anyday. She's a very nice girl and a wonderful actress and she wouldn't lie to me about back pain.

Latest posts

Back