Just curious as to what you think

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taylor Richelle

Reaction score
I was just wondering what you guys thought of horses who have conformation faults showing? Obviously ones that are cow hocked or toe out wouldn't do as well in halter classes as the ones without those faults or others. At least that's what I have been told. I have a gelding (Sox) most of you have seen my posts on him in the past. He is both cow hocked and he toes out a bit. Yet 3 out of the 4 shows I went to this summer he got two 2nds and a 1st in Geldings/ Stallions halter. I was SURPRISED! There were some REALLY nice horses in the classes. Ones who normally place really well. See with him though when i get him to square up his legs really don't look that bad and he doesn't seem to toe out.

Have you guys ever seen this happen? Horses with not so great conformation place higher then the good ones? I guess it's just the judges opinion?
default_unsure.png
Just curious. Sorry if I sound like I'm not coming off clear with my question.

I do love Sox very much so I am Bias even if he isn't great.
default_wub.png

Taylor

I have said this many times. Every horse has faults. But some faults are worse than others. So when you show a horse it is up to the judge to decide which fault is worse. So you may see a toed out horse win over a horse with better legs. But it could be because the horse with better legs had some other fault that the judge felt was worse than being toed out.

It varies greatly as to what is in the class. For example lets say you have a halter class with 4 entries. But all 4 are very poorly conformed. But the judge still has to pick a winner and place them all. So the judge will just pick them in order of what he/she feels are the lessor of all the faults.

I hope that makes sense
default_smile.png

I agree with what Kay said, and also every time you go in the ring you pay for the judges opinion. Since we are allowed to hand set our mini's we can hide the slightly cow hocked apperance by pushing out on the hocks, you can't really hide a toe out very well, but as Kay has said the judge looks at the whole horse. Personally I'm a leg person and like straight front legs in a halter horse, but I've seen judges place severe toeing out horses over straight legged ones, even at the National level because they liked the horse they placed better. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. With our own horses our heart wins over their faults.

Okay well what you guys have said makes sense! Sorry if I sound ignorant this was only my 2nd summer showing. I'm still new to everything. The class I got first in the judge came up to me a few times in and out of the class and commented on how much she really really liked him. There were some other really nice horses in the class that I thought deserved to place higher. Though I'm not complaining with my first
default_rolleyes.gif

Taylor, Oh no, never complain about getting a first! Most judges have a sheet or score card, they write down the things they like and the things they find fault with, before sending to the steward or announcer they add up what they have written down, such as using a ten point system, ( just an example) 2 points for hips, 2 points for legs, 2 points for head, etc. So if your horse places be proud, your horse won so the judge of the day really liked what they saw.

Taylor, Oh no, never complain about getting a first! Most judges have a sheet or score card, they write down the things they like and the things they find fault with, before sending to the steward or announcer they add up what they have written down, such as using a ten point system, ( just an example) 2 points for hips, 2 points for legs, 2 points for head, etc. So if your horse places be proud, your horse won so the judge of the day really liked what they saw.
I knew they kept score just wasn't sure how! Thanks so much for clearing that up makes perfect sense now and it makes me more impressed that he placed first
default_wub.png

Yes I have seen that happen- as someone mentioned, every horse has faults. Perhaps his faults were less than what the judge tolerated on other horses that were in the class? Some may not have been obvious, however, are faults none the less.

Good for you on your placings! Enjoy your showing and have fun! Sounds like you are!

I was at a show once watching this mare trotted and threw out one foot, looked like she was doing a Nazi salute, placed first. I never understood how the judges couldn't overlook that, but they did.

People that know how to set a horse up properly hide a myriad of flaws/faults, but then again the perfect horse hasn't been born.

Congratulations on your placings!

Kay explained it very well. I just wanted to add that I personally believe leg issues are over looked quite often by judges. But maybe as Kay said, it is because other faults are viewed as more objectionable. There were horses placing World Champion and even World Reserve Grand Champion with a multitude of leg issues. I personally despise leg faults, but I think many are accepting of them. I guess considering all the possible faults, they are not that bad.

Taylor never be sorry for asking!! Thats the only way to learn!

I am also a leg girl so if I was judge I would probably lower horses more for leg faults than say another judge who thinks ugly heads are a bigger fault. Or they think a big hip makes up for cowhocks. In the big scheme of horses cowhocks are a pretty mild fault. Even though I am big on correct legs I would place a cowhocked horse in front of a horse with a poor neck or hip.

Every judge interprets the standard of any breed, slightly differently. We must all be thankful for a win and a good sport when we don't. There's always another day.

I've only seen a few Mini shows, so will take this opportunity to ask something. If there is only one horse in a class and the judges do not think it is a good example of the breed, do they sometimes withhold the first place ribbon? I've seen it done in dog shows.

Lizzie

I've only seen a few Mini shows, so will take this opportunity to ask something. If there is only one horse in a class and the judges do not think it is a good example of the breed, do they sometimes withhold the first place ribbon? I've seen it done in dog shows.
Yes a judge can NOT place first place if they feel there is no deserving horse. But it rarely happens. They could even do it if there were more than one. The only time I have personally seen it happen is when a dwarf was being shown and was the only horse in the class. The judge rightfully refused to place the horse. The owner raised holy he**. I have a ton of respect for that judge. Other judges place them anyway just to avoid the huge resulting outcry.

there have been many times i have seen this happen.. i have been on both sides, my gelting has nice conformation, he jsut isnt as refined as some .. the first time he took grand, i asked the judge why.. lol

she said, your horse is a b size right? i said yeah he was in the b class... he had the best substance to his feet while the other geldings had their feet so short, that i was suprised none were lame.

something as simple as that !

that said every horse has faults and i have seen judges not place anyone in a class... i have also seen a horse be the only horse in the class and the judge place them 2nd or lower..

showing our minis i have seen some judges over look so many things and it used to make me MAD it doesnt bother me now. i just ignore it..

we love showing and really we do it for fun, yes its nice to bring home a ribbon or 2 but all in all we just have fun doing it !

Latest posts

Back