Crystal update [Is she pregnant?] LOL

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crystalsowner

Reaction score
Well now shes just wide load all the way around.. And if shes pregnant if the lady was right she had like 3 and a half months to go. But here are some new pics. What do you think does she look pregnant?

ip35zn.jpg

29ne5w6.jpg

15qau4y.jpg

2q8vwub.jpg

It is really difficult to tell from your pictures - you need to get down on your knees on the ground and get a good side on pic of her down at her level (your pics are taken from 'above' because you are standing up). The ones taken from her rear do show a low bulge on either side of her tummy, but a lot of my elderly mares also look like this after many foals so that's not necessarily much help!

Any sign of a growing udder, and, sorry cant remember, but when do you think she would be due?

She's such a pretty girl!
default_yes.gif

It is really difficult to tell from your pictures - you need to get down on your knees on the ground and get a good side on pic of her down at her level (your pics are taken from 'above' because you are standing up). The ones taken from her rear do show a low bulge on either side of her tummy, but a lot of my elderly mares also look like this after many foals so that's not necessarily much help!

Any sign of a growing udder, and, sorry cant remember, but when do you think she would be due?

She's such a pretty girl!
default_yes.gif
Bad back it is impossible for me to get on my knees on the ground and get back up okay. LOL. I thought I was getting down low enough. Ill see if my daughter can get lower ones.

I dont have a due date. The lady I got her from had her in with a stud since March 29th, but said she may have been in one with one when she got her. The story kept changing. I have had her since June 29th.

Thank you!! I just love her looks and her personality. Shes sooo spunky but well behaved. She has been such a joy. We got a 4 month old "big horse" foal into the rescue about a week ago and Crystal is the only one that will be friends with her. Crystal is smaller LOL but the boss.

Okay hopefully these pics are better. From today. She did not like me sitting on the ground lol

mjbddk.jpg

j60ww6.jpg

Aww bless you - hope your back is ok! The first one certainly gives her that 'wide/tight' look under her tummy and the second one still looks about the same - it could be a foal lying there. Have a good feel of her sides - in front of her hip bone and above the possible foal 'bulge - does she feel a bit 'flat' there? When the weight of a growing foal settles a bit, a mare will often feel a bit 'flat' in that area as against her normal body 'roundness'. Hope this makes sense!!

But I really think that all you can do for now is to keep an eye out for any filling of her udder or the appearance of an edema like swelling showing just in front of her udder, as this would not only confirm (or not) the pregnancy and also give you an idea as to when she might foal.

Hehe, thanks. The back is never really okay. Have to get surgery ugh. Anyways.

Ill try to feel for what you said, and see if I feel it.

Yeah I fear nothing will give me a real answer. Your guess, I wont hold you to it. Is your guess she is or isnt?

Another thing you might try is putting your hand flat up against her belly, just in front of her udder. If she is at least 6 months along, you should be able to feel a little flutter or 'kick.'

Another thing you might try is putting your hand flat up against her belly, just in front of her udder. If she is at least 6 months along, you should be able to feel a little flutter or 'kick.'
I have tried this and did not feel anything. But she is not big on attention alot of time, though she is getting used to it. And would not stand very well for this. I will try again tonight,

How old did you say this mare was? If she is not a maiden (has had foals in the past) it is harder to tell since she could be as little as 4 months along and would probably not look much different open or bred at this point. My guess based on the pictures and my own mare that has had foals is no. But time will tell, if changes take place, as AnnaC says, my guess could change because it is just a guess.
default_smile.png

She is def not a maiden mare.

I am gonna post pics that I posted to Annac on PMs because this is what has me thinking she is pregant, and farther along then 4 months.

This was taken about a month ago, I can get exact date is needed. She seemed to have a "bulge" to her left side. Not only in pics but in "person" as well.

23sztp3.jpg

Then it seemed to go away mostly, and her belly hung down more it seemed but you can still see it on the left. Please excuse shes a mess lol

34j3l38.jpg

Then this are current. And the bulge is on the other side more so now.

j60ww6.jpg

Not the best cause she is leaning in this pics, but you can still see what I mean

2q8vwub.jpg

Posting this not in disagreement but for those that havent seen progression pics. I dont see how a fat belly, or past foal belly could do that much moving around. Can it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmm, considering those pictures she sure looks more pregnant than in the previous ones I was looking at. In pictures 1 and 3 of this last group it sure does look like a foal belly. I don't understand why she looks less pregnant in some pictures than she did earlier. And I agree she looks more than 4 months along. I based that on the date you took her tho, you said you got her on June 29 so she could be as little as 4 months or as much as 7months. If she is pregnant she may foal as early as the end of Feb (based on my perpetual foaling chart) or as late as the end of May. It is still possible she is not in foal but I would be watching around January for signs that she is getting ready. At least if the old owner gave you accurate info on when she was in with the stallion you will have a time frame to work from.

Hmmmm, considering those pictures she sure looks more pregnant than in the previous ones I was looking at. In pictures 1 and 3 of this last group it sure does look like a foal belly. I don't understand why she looks less pregnant in some pictures than she did earlier. And I agree she looks more than 4 months along. I based that on the date you took her tho, you said you got her on June 29 so she could be as little as 4 months or as much as 7months. If she is pregnant she may foal as early as the end of Feb (based on my perpetual foaling chart) or as late as the end of May. It is still possible she is not in foal but I would be watching around January for signs that she is getting ready. At least if the old owner gave you accurate info on when she was in with the stallion you will have a time frame to work from.

The old owner didnt even tell me the right age. When she first told me about her she said she was 7. When I meet Crystal I could tell by her teeth she was no where near 7 yrs old. I loved the mare at first meeting though and agreed to take her anyway. Later she sent me her registration number. Me and a vet friend had guessed her in her late teens. The registration number they gave me matched her and was a 19 yr old mare.

As far as what I was told when she was in with a stallion I got different stories too. I was told at first she was in with a stallion before she got her. When I told her that i didnt not mind either way if she was pregnant or not she told me she was not in with a stallion ti she got her.

Agggh, I shudder when I hear stories like yours. Well, I won't try guessing any more, the pictures suggest she is... or isn't lol. Sounds like your mare is lucky to be away from the last owner and at least she is with someone who will monitor her and try to make sure if she is pregnant that all goes well for her and the foal. Good luck. BTW 19 isn't all that old, I have known minis to continue to have foals into their 20s with out issue and if she is healthy and has good care she should have many good years left.

Agggh, I shudder when I hear stories like yours. Well, I won't try guessing any more, the pictures suggest she is... or isn't lol. Sounds like your mare is lucky to be away from the last owner and at least she is with someone who will monitor her and try to make sure if she is pregnant that all goes well for her and the foal. Good luck. BTW 19 isn't all that old, I have known minis to continue to have foals into their 20s with out issue and if she is healthy and has good care she should have many good years left.
The sad thing is as I researched into this mare it didnt really sound like she ever had a "home" to settle into. No one much even remembered her. Which is why I am guessing she is not used to the interraction she gets here. I think she thinks Im a pain sometimes. Haha. But shes settling in well and has found her forever home. I do love this little gal very much. Ive had large horses for many years but never a mini, I LOVE this gals personality. Shes so tiny but she would take on the world. But yet she is well manored and respectful. I feel lucky to have her!!

As far as if shes pregnant. I find it interesting to compare the pics and see what everyone things, and someday well know the answer. I will watch for a forming udder, or signs she is close. Though I have very little experience with pregnant horses we have raised dairy goats for a little over ten years, and what ive read some signs are similiar.

She sounds like my mare. Mine is only 6 but hasn't had anyone to really bond with (we suspect she may have been an Amish horse at one time but not 100% sure). She has taken a long time to warm up to me. Mine is pregnant and due around March- April (best guess since she was with the stud an entire year but the owner saw him mount her at least once the last week of April which doesn't mean anything lol). I have not yet been able to feel her foal move, but I do have some a tip from past experience with mares. The best times I've been able to feel the foal move is when the mare is eating, just had a drink of very cold water, and sometimes tapping on the belly right in front of the udder, if the mare will tolerate it, will get a kick in response when they get a little further along.

Good luck with her, and thank you for giving her the forever home she deserves
default_smile.png

Back