Crystal update [Is she pregnant?] LOL

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crystalsowner

Reaction score
Thought id give some updated pics of Crystal because i am seeing a change in her belly. Its less out to the sides now, but it seems to hang down a bit more. Is this just her loosing weight? Or could it be the foal "dropping" a bit? What do you guys think? Excuse that shes a mess, i havent had time to bath her lately and she gets sooo dirty lol

Side view.

20iui53.jpg

24azq11.jpg

15odnhk.jpg

Back view. She was not patient for this shot LOL. But you can tell the bulge on one side is still there. But looks different

34j3l38.jpg

Pics 17 days ago

23sztp3.jpg

2mdrju9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the person I got her from was not very honest. First I was told the person they got her from had her with a stud. Then later they said she wasnt, and she was only with their boy the whole time they owned her. But I dont know what the truth is. They lied about her age as well [i knew she was older when I got her, but it was later confirmed. Doesnt matter to me. But yeah they werent honest.] I got her on 6-29-2013. They bought her on 3-29-2013.

Heres pics right before I got her almost three months ago.

t81768.jpg

29krg34.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest....she very well may be about to foal.....most of my maidens look like your girl. Do you notice any udder changes? Is around her trailhead squishy and soft?

Wouldnt those things happen when shes close to foaling? Would they if he had months to go? I dont have experience with horses, but we breed goats and those things dont happen til they are like a month out. Is it different with horses?

Yep you are right....they would start happening around one month out. "If" it was the foal getting into position, hence the belly shape change, then you could expect to see a little one.

Around 5 months pregnant and on you can do an "at home" test. Go get her grain ration and tie her up while she is eating. Place your hand about 4-6 inches away from her udder and see if you feel any rolling or kicking. If I'm ever in doubt this is my go-to. Seems like all my foals are active at feeding time but you have to be patient and wait sometimes 5-10 mins before you feel something

It is not too easy to tell from your pictures, but one of the things I see is that she has lost 'weight' over her tail head, which could be a sign of her being fairly close to foaling or it could be the result of your trying to slim her down. Not too sure where you live, but going into the winter months on a slim down programme is not the best thing particularly with an older mare.

If it is true or possible that the people who owned her before March had her running with a stallion (for how long????) then it is perfectly possible that she could be close to foaling any time from now on. But you really need to find out as you will need to adjust her food accordingly - not sure what she is getting at the moment.

Yes it is possible to feel the foal move, as stated above, when a mare is eating and also immediately after she has had a drink, but if she is far along in pregnancy, then the foal may be too 'big' to have the space for much movement. Have you seen any increase in her udder size as this will give you an indication as to how near foaling she might be - if in foal. Could you get hold of the Wee Foal testing strips? Or for a bit of fun you could try the ring test - you are supposed to use a Wedding ring but frankly anything metal will do, even a nail, and tie it to a light piece of string approx 12" in lengh, then hold it suspended over the mare's back just level/in front of her hips (make sure there isn't a wind blowing!) and watch for the ring/nail to start moving - be patient! A circular movement means a filly foal and a straight line - along the mare's spine - means a colt. No movement means no foal! Only a bit of fun and not to be counted on, but it has always worked for me.

But seriously, you do need to find out for sure whether she is in foal or not as it seems possible that she could be further along in her pregnancy than first thought and therefore you will need to get a mare and foal feeding programme sorted for her as soon as possible.

Good luck!

That is quite a change in 17 days, which certainly could be the difference between a foal laying 'all around' or lining up. I'll be interested to read whether you're feeling any foal movement at all, or what you say about any udder development.

23sztp3.jpg
34j3l38.jpg

This last set of pics looks mighty suspicious to me! That is a drastic change in a short time! The bottom pic is more recent though? I had a mare that one year looked like 'maybe' one day but not at all the next. This went on right up until she foaled! And, it was the biggest baby she ever had, lol The next year was obviously pregnant and waddled at the end- and had a tiny filly. Go figure.

I would have your mare vet checked so you know for sure....

One way we usually can get a foal to move around inside is IF the mare is okay to clip, we will use the noisy vibraty clippers and (not clip) gently rub the mare's belly, flank to midline a few passes. I don't know if it is the noise or the vibration or both, but our foals start bouncy around. Worth a try.

I honestly dont know whats true and whats not a true about this mare before I got her. The people werent honest. When I first talked to them about her they said she was with another stallion before they got her. Then a few days later said yeah it was possible, but they werent sure. Then when they bought her out said that she was only with their stallion the lady had no stallions. But her age went from 7 to 19 as well from when they told me about her to a few days after I got her. Again I knew she was not 7 when they brought her but I didnt care.

Yes the buttom pic is more recent. I'm confused as well. Because she only looks to have "lost weight" from behind. She sure doesn't look like it if you look at her from other directions. Her belly looks more round from other directions. But yeah I dont get the difference in a short amount of time thats why I posted pics even though shes a mess!! I wanted you all to see the difference.

Shes not on a slim down program at all. Just a dont over feed her so she doesnt get any "bigger" If shes not pregnant. She has free feed grass hay in her pen all day. And were in AZ, the warmer part so it doesnt get to cold here. But I do wanna know if shes pregnant so I can feed/vaccinate properly.

Had a vet friend that was over, not to see her, just here. And had him look at her and he said... she could be pregnant. You should have some blood work done. Ive thought about getting a wee foal but Im getting so many different opinions on if its accurate.

Ill try to feel movements and feel her udder today.

Latest posts

Back