Cryptorchid Stallion?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carsyn

Reaction score
Has anyone every heard of a stallion having a testicle in his sheath? Does that make him a unilateral cryptorchid?

Last edited by a moderator:
No that's a new one on me! but I have seen swollen sheaths that look like one may be there and it's caused by edema.

In his sheath? I've seen some sheaths that looked fat & puffy but never heard of a stallion having a testicle in his sheath. Maybe his sheath needs a cleaning out?

WELCOME to Lil Beginnings!
default_saludando.gif

Is it a stallion, not a gelding? I've seen several geldings "done" by the Amish and there is so much scar tissue we've had blood drawn to verify testosterone levels. Some of them look like what you describe.

I've seen some nasty bee stings that would make you think it was a testicle.

I've seen bad allergies to shots that cause legs to "stock up" and the sheath to swell severely. I haven't heard of a testicle located there, but I guess anything is possible. Pictures?

I'm curious as to why anyone would think or suspect that a missing testucle is in the sheath. Do you know it is there and not in the abdomen? Crypts may have the missing one just high inside the ring, just out of reach of the normal gelding procedure, or it may be somewhere in the abdomen, usually quite close at hand to a surgical incision made in the lower flank, or more like under the flank, in the abdomen next to/just ahead of the sheath. In rare cases the missing testicle can be much higher in the body--I heard of one horse that had it up near the spine. I have never heardvofbone being in the sheath.

Mind you--I have noticed that some minis seem to have a stage where the testicles seem rather oddly placed, almost against the back, upper portion of the sheath--I have noticed that in a couple of yearlings but by the time they were gelded at age 2 the testicles were in normal position.

Latest posts

Back