Crested necks

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMS Miniatures

Reaction score
I just got my new stallion today and to find out he has a crested neck. Was not told that at all when I bought him so not too happy at the moment.

He is a little chubby but I defintelly wouldn't consider him overweight. His neck isn't thick and his mane isn't heavy. He has been getting Omelanne 300 which is a mare/foal feed with 16% protein and now he is getting the 100 which is just a 10% protein. Could high protein cause a crusted neck? If so will it straighten up? Also could a overgrown thryoid gland cause it? I thought it did but not experienced in crested necks. Is there anything else I can do to fix it?

Sorry that I can't help you should definately contact the person who sold him to you about this and maybe get your money back if you really aren't satisifed and it can't be fixed??

But definately a shame shame on the buyer who sold him to you!
no.gif

I personally have never seen one that was truly broken over go back and straighten up. You can try braiding his mane on the other side. Was this a horse you bought to show?

If it makes you feel any better, I know of a horse that has a broken crest that went National Champion and top ten at the Worlds.

I have had experience with cresting. I brought a stallion home that was pretty thin at first it was thought because he ran the fences he couldnt hold his wieght, after I started feeding him a higher fat food he started to crest over. I had my vet run bloodwork and found out he had CHRONIC HEPATITIS, if i were you i would have bloodwork ran, especially before breeding any mares to him. The cresting is caused by fat deposits because the liver is not functioning properly.

wpsellwood said:
If it makes you feel any better, I know of a horse that has a broken crest that went National Champion and top ten at the Worlds.
485201[/snapback]

I am hoping that was in performance and not halter right?

I too know there was a horse that did very well in halter

at the World with a broken crest.

Good Luck with your stallion. How old is he?

Sandy

WOW really a World National champion halter horse with broken crest..hmmmm

well there ya go guess you can show them then
smile.gif

I too know of one, an older gorgeous moving guy, his National Placing was in driving.

Anyway, she did not say it was broken. Just crested.

It can also be caused by insulin and thyroid problems, but once under control it can help it, but most likely will always have it to some extent. Maybe blood work is in order. But also, over weight it relavant to frame size and structure. Not just by appearance and what would be compared to other horses.

Frankie said:
I too know of one, an older gorgeous moving guy, his National Placing was in driving.Anyway, she did not say it was broken. Just crested.

485383[/snapback]

YOur right i just assumed with will it straighten back up meant it was broken but you are correct she didnt say that
yes.gif

And even though medical reasons can cause a cresty neck, genetics play a big part.

Whats the difference between broken and just crested?

I don't think braiding it will help cause it's really floppy to the point if I put any other pressure on the other side it will flop the other way.

He definintelly isn't overweight, he just isn't in show condition just a little round belly.

He is just a yearling and yes we bought him intended to show. We even payed extra for him cause they said he showed 2nd out of alot of horses at one show so I had to pay extra. I wasn't too happy about that but I liked him alot so I did. Than I found out the show results online and his placings weren't that impressive. Even the pics I couldn't see the crested neck. His mane ties in well with his body color. I'm defintelly going to tell the seller but trying to think up a nice way to say it
rolleyes.gif

He is such a sweet boy out of an outstanding pedigree. But he will probably be gelded now if nothing happens. We will get some blood work on him to see if anything medical is wrong.

Thanks

Sorry to hear you didn't get what you thought you had bought. And a yearling too, but it sounds like his crest is broken and his mane is on the other side already to keep if from falling. Try that, put his mane on the opposite side that it is on now and if the crest does fall over then yes its broken and you can't fix that. And for what you described I would also contact the seller about the horse.

[SIZE=14pt]A fallen crest on a yearling is bad news. It wont fix and if it were me that bought the horse, I would want my money back. That you had to pay extra for a second place is not kosher with me either. If I advertise a colt, for X price.... even if he went Champion when someone was interested he still sells for X price. If I have a potential show colt then he is priced accordingly as a potential show colt. It doesnt change after his show. Could you PM me a pic of this show colt?[/SIZE]

this is just my personal opinion and choice. If I buy a show colt he better not be broken over or even leaning in the crest!

Lyn

I would DEFINITELY try to get my money back on a yearling with a broken crest. It is suspected to be genetic and I have NEVER seen a neck right itself again. There are lots of suspected reasons as to why it would fall, but that is a terrible obstacle to try to overcome if you show him, particularly as a stallion (breeding stock) as most judges SHOULD know it can be genetic!

Was the neck not apparent in the pictures you got? I always request pictures from both sides, front, back, bite, and head (for future reference for those of you new to buying horses sight unseen).

Andrea

***edited to add***

Oh just saw your reply on this thread... and that you did not see the neck... I also saw his pictures on your website. I agree that those pictures sort of hide it under his mane, but his neck is awfully thick for a yearling. That farm is a big farm, I would hope they can work with you in getting your money back. To pay EXTRA too is horrible! I bought a gelding from the fabulous Angie Sauer of Hoofbeat Acres in MN... the colt went Reserve National Champion and she didn't raise my price. Placing well does well for her program, and not to rip clients off! A big farm should have told you about this fault of the colts' and if they didn't they should have had a price that was close to pet price to reflect the quality they felt of him. I am sorry you have to deal with this ... good luck... just be honest, that is always the best policy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey kiddo...

I have never seen one go back, either...... and like others on this thread I would be very concerned, especially if he is only a yearling....
no.gif

I would definately approach the farm where you purchased him from and try to work something out. And I also agree with disneyhorse's post that you should not have been charged extra for a placing at a show......
new_shocked.gif

I sure hope that this works out for you..... and that you find your dreamhorse soon....

Suzy Hooper

Show Horses by Suzy

Fresno, CA

Do you (or anyone else) have pictures they could post showing an obvious crested or broken neck??

I'd like to educate myself.

I do know last year in the winter when one of our large horses was struggling with chronic laminitis and arthritis and thyroid problems he was really hard and cresty in the neck and when his health improved the hardness and crestiness went away, but I don't know if it was the same sort of thing or not.

wait a minute. she said the neck was cresty not broken over. two very diff things! A cresty neck could just be a weight/over feeding problem or it could be genetic. In the pics its definately not broken over. Actually in the pics he looks like he has a very nice neck. I would adjust his feed (i think you already have) and try a neck sweat and excercise.

Lisa,

Sorry wasnt on to answer that question, it was in halter both A and R. Awesome horse too with the exception of the neck. It has been sweated and it really looks good, a person wouldnt even noticed unless it was pointed out, thats how good it looks now. Also it was in open.

Latest posts

Back