Cremello/Perlina

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Janis

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

We had a colt born here & when he was first born I thought he was perlino - his mane & tail were a golden color & his body color was white. Now, his coat, mane & tail are all the same color. How do you tell the difference (physically)?

Thanks,

Janis

By eye??

You cannot.

If you really need to know test for base colour (Perlino will be Black + Agouti base, Cremello will be Red +/- Agouti )

What colours are the parents as some DD Creams will be Red and Black base as they will have both-
default_wacko.png
:

His sire is a buckskin & his dam is a cream buckskin. I thought when he was born it was so obvious, but then he changed. So the best way is to get him tested? Thanks for your reply.

Janis

The chances are he is Perlino with two Buckskins for parents- Buckskin = Cream + Black + Agouti and Perlino = Cream + Cream + Black + Agouti so as I said, chances are.........

If you test do it for Red , Black, and Agouti that should give you some idea.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Just had a look at your website- you do like to complicate things don't you??

Sire looks like Silver Buckskin and so does Dam- so foal could also be Silver- it would not be possible to see until he has a Silver foal you will never know- there is no test for Silver.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ditto Rabbit (Jane). Knowing what the parents are does help and makes it much more likely that he's perlino. Plus if you have a silver gene in there, it will further dilute his color.......

MA

A cremello has a cream-colored coat, a white mane and tail, pink skin, and blue eyes. A perlino has a cream-colored coat, reddish-tinted points (mane, tail, lower legs), pink skin, and blue eyes.

See that is just the problem.

It ain't necessarily so
default_smile.png

As said, it is not possible to tell the difference by looking.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

And people forget alot that there is also smokey cream, a double dilute but on black, so yes the only way to tell for sure is testing.
default_wink.png
:

Last edited by a moderator:
Many times you can visually tell the difference if you have trained your eye to see it. It is like learning conformation with a trained eye. At first all horses are pretty, then you learn to spot conformation differences and what is correct and what are faults. It is in training the eye to see the differences that you start to spot the markers. Michelle at Wesco has Roger that we know is a perlino but very light and she just about scrubbed his legs off last year until she realized that was his normal coloring. He has slightly darker legs which come from the buckskin.

I had a perlino and a cream on the high school equestrian team and they looked identical until they stood next to each other and then you could see subtle differences. The perlino had slightly darker points where the cream was white based.

Also remember that dun has a very wide range of coloration and they dilute down to look like palomino. I have seen many big horses registered as palomino but also have the dun markers that means they really are diluted duns and not true palominos.

Kathi the main problem with that is there is NO specific difference.

I have known a number of Perlinos, tested as such, that are visually a Cremello.

If it is important, the only way to be sure is to test, no matter how trained your eye is!!!
default_smile.png

Also remember that dun has a very wide range of coloration and they dilute down to look like palomino. I have seen many big horses registered as palomino but also have the dun markers that means they really are diluted duns and not true palominos.

They could very well still be palominos that also carry the dun gene, but you would have to do a test for cream to verify that fact.

Rabbit is a Red Dun, no Cream, BUT you would be amazed the number of people willing to argue the toss with me that he is Palomino!!!

Add to that the people who just assume he is, or assume I am wrong!!
default_rolleyes.gif
:
default_smile.png

Well, let me complicate this a little more
default_wacko.png
: The cream buckskin dam is a dun (she has the line all the way down to her tail) so maybe she's not a buckskin? His sire is not our herdsire, he's sired by a Buckskin Buckeroo son owned by Triple K. We'll definately have to have him tested so he is registered correctly, but should we have the dam tested also?

Janis

I realised he was not sired by your stallion- I still think his sire may be Silver.

He can be a Buckskin and a Dun- the two are not exclusive, also he can be Buckskin only and have a dorsal (Buckskins can have a dorsal, Duns must have a dorsal)

There is no test for Dun or Silver, yet.
default_smile.png

default_wacko.png
:

There's no chance this d*mn colt is Pinto and Appy is there?????
default_rolleyes.gif
:

ryder_head_may_06.jpg
I'm sorry I'm causing such a problem. Let me show you what we're talking about
ryder___Lloyd1.jpg

This is the colt in question.

Bishop4-bodyforemail.jpg

This is his sire

image.jpg

This is his dam

Nope, can't be a pinto or appy :bgrin

We'll just get this little man tested & see. Thanks for all the input!

Janis

Seeing the pics of sire and dam I would have to say perlino.

Why? Two buckskins can also have a smokey cream or cremello foal.

Just like two bays can get a black or chestnut.

Is is al about being heterozygous/homozygous for black and agouti.
default_wink.png
:

Latest posts

Back