'crazy' buyers.......

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

running in the red

Reaction score
I have a 18 month old filly for sale. had a request for pics and info. I sent-requesting about where she would be kept and care- this is my first baby born here......the interest said that she was wanted for pasture pal for her wawrmblood stallion-I replyed no way would I consider selling her for this purpose.......she replyed that I was 'stupid' for not wanting to sell here to her...........I replyed when you are the owner then I pick and choose where my horses go!!!!!!!!!joy

You have every right to refuse a sale regardless of reason. Period.

I wouldn't have sold anything to her either!

default_new_shocked.gif
good for you for standing up to her! crazy indeed!

I would not sell a filly for a pasture companion for ANY stud regardless of the size of said stud. Is she NUTS???
default_new_shocked.gif

Reijel's Mom, We might have one of those crosses this coming spring... however ours is switched as my daughters 14.0h AQHA mare got bred by our then 33" B&W Mini stallion. All I can say is he caught her on the side of the hill and the rest they say is history.. he looked very smug with himself after that. He is now in his new home so no more of those crosses will ever be made! We sold all of our minis except for one mare that will live out the rest of her days here. She is also bred for a spring baby to the above mentioned stallion but the baby is already spoken for. Could be interesting to see what the AQHA has if in fact she is in foal.

Sherry

Reijel's Mom, We might have one of those crosses this coming spring... however ours is switched as my daughters 14.0h AQHA mare got bred by our then 33" B&W Mini stallion. All I can say is he caught her on the side of the hill and the rest they say is history.. he looked very smug with himself after that. He is now in his new home so no more of those crosses will ever be made! We sold all of our minis except for one mare that will live out the rest of her days here. She is also bred for a spring baby to the above mentioned stallion but the baby is already spoken for. Could be interesting to see what the AQHA has if in fact she is in foal.

Sherry

You'll have to post that one!
default_smile.png

Now, I do feel much more comfortable with a "big" being impregnated by a "little" than vice versa, for obvious reasons! I actually was concerned about that for a brief time, too, I brought a rescue mini stud home and he was a little terror in the couple of weeks before we could get him gelded. He broke through gates, took a couple off hinges - all to get to my girls - one who was a mini mare and one who was my ancient riding mare. NEITHER got pregnant, though. My mini was not in and told him off and my riding mare was quite willing but he couldn't reach and I got him out of there ASAP!

We all thought "nooooo he cant reach her..." but I guess the saying is true about where theres a will theres a way? lol.. The only reason this happened was because in the summer all of my big horses are on 26 acres of pasture and the minis stayed at my mom and dads house to keep that pasture down and for the kids to have easier access to them. Well my daughter showed this horse in 4-H and it was late when we got home and she WASNT in and it was easier to put her at my parents for the night and I had all intentions of getting her early the next morning and leading her up the road to the other pasture... and well... the next day I went down to get her and get her. and well guess what I found.??? a mare in SERIOUS FULL BLOWN HEAT and she was more than willing to stand and let him try and try until he succeeded. Cajun (the AQHA) wouldnt let me catch her, Renegade the stallion was playing big, bad stud and doing his dangdest to keep her away from me. Needless to say I dont know if she actually took or not... there are times when I look at her and I swear she is and then other times I just think she is fat. Guess this will give her good practice if she is pregnant and/or for when she gets to "date" my palomino tovero paint stallion. I will post pics if we have one born it should be due April/May if she is indeed pregnant.

Sherry

We had one of those too. A pony mare and an arab colt that was slated for gelding. The foal was almost as big as mom at birth.

Although I would never, ever breed a big horse stallion to a mini mare on purpose (and we don't know that is what happened with this pony either), I have got to say that that colt is gorgeous!

I've turned down buyers for the same reason. I ask a ton of questions because I want to make sure the horse and human are a good match.

A lot of people here in Maine are new to minis and just don't understand. They think that their big horse is so gentle that they'll never hurt a mini. But some of my minis can be very annoying even to each other-- especially when food is involved. It wouldn't take much to seriously injure or kill a mini.

People want a bred mare too--probably because of getting a cute baby. But I give them a lecture about the dangers and describe how sad it would be to find a dead foal still in the sac. When I tell them that I watch them 24-7 and broadcast my camera over the Internet so I can have extra eyes they begin to understand.

It's all about education and love.

That stallion would probably eventually kill that filly.

You have every right to refuse a sale for any reason.

I know its a tough market out there but I have to feel in my heart that they are going to somewhere at least as safe or better than here.

Robin

That filly is lucky to have you! No way should she be pastured with a full size stallion! I bought a mini gelding once that had been pastured with a larger horse and horned cows and he had a big gash in his rear that became a deep scar to show for it. Poor guy
default_sad.png

If they were rude enough to write back and call you stupid then they have more problems than just wanting to pasture a Mini mare with a full size stallion.
default_no.gif

I did have a mini gelding in the 70's that we did put in pasture with the other big horses. It was kind of funny because Dandy was this tiny little guy that fit in the back seat of my pinto hatchback and there was a draft cross gelding in the pasture that was so afraid of the mini. They were ok at first but I don't know what happened but that draft cross would see Dandy and turn and run in fear. The mini was super gentle and worth his weight in gold with the kids. Who knows what happens when we are not around.

Latest posts

Back