Crafts for Christmas

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's it Chanda! Now you have truly put the quilt bug in me. I have to try and as you said will start with something small. Thank you for the book suggestion as well :)

Here are some pics of past soaps, these are made from "melt and pour" glycerine soap base.

6800_1181278326209_5919063_n.jpg

Pineapple Upside Down Soap - I ended up cutting into soap slices :)

6800_1181389368985_3514452_n.jpg

I called this one Margarita (with ice)

6800_1181413049577_2565945_n.jpg

These I made for a co-worker's kids. The fragrance I used of course was "chocolate"

I do however prefer making soap from scratch which is the blending of various oils and using lye which you do have to take precautions but it's the only way to get the chemical reaction you want to make oils saponify. :)

That's it Chanda! Now you have truly put the quilt bug in me. I have to try and as you said will start with something small. Thank you for the book suggestion as well :)
yeah! I do really like that book, its great for beginners and not too bad for someone who's quilted before. Here's the quilt I made my mom a few years ago, the pattern is in the book I recommended:

Mom-s-Quilt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Lord that looks complicated, lol. Will go and look for the book next week at Chapters and if not will try and get through Amazon.

Lord that looks complicated, lol. Will go and look for the book next week at Chapters and if not will try and get through Amazon.
That's the beauty of it, it looks complicated, but its just simple squares sewn together. I place a couple different colors of fabric where others said I shouldn't, but I did, and it turned out just fine.

I have one more question, how do you decide what colors and fabric patterns go well together or do you just use what you have on hand.

I have one more question, how do you decide what colors and fabric patterns go well together or do you just use what you have on hand.
Many fabrics come as coordinated groups of fabrics; a collection can be from 4-12 fabrics, so very easy to pic fabrics you like that go together. Most sales clerks in fabric stores are more than happy to help newbies pick colors that go together. Or, just go with what you like. I'm pretty sure there is a chapter in that book that talks about choosing fabric. [When you are ready, you can always check out the fabric in my store, there's a link from my horse website linked in my signature.]

I enjoy making candles on occasion but its been a while.

I've been making cards for a long time that I really love. It relaxes me. I've established a little clientele and they keep me hopping. Working on Christmas cards now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh good gosh I love seeing what everyone is doing. Certainly gets the creative thought process going.
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back