Cracking noise when he walks

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvminis

Reaction score
For the very first time we have a mini that has stiff legs. I do not know if this has been going on for a time and I didn't know it because at the same time, my father was dying. I was thinking that this horse didn't want to go outside and then he didn't want to come inside and I thought he was just being stubborn, but Friday we noticed that he was having a very hard time walking and was stiff. We called the vet and he told us to keep him off the grass and grain and use one dose of banamine each day. Today I noticed a cracking noise when he walks and heard it yesterday, too. He seems to be doing a little better and the vet said he would come out in a few days if we didn't notice any improvement, but I am VERY scared!! I am so afraid of what is wrong and what is ahead!! We also have a new farrier and there is nothing stuck in his hoof. I am not a horse pro and need your help. He is 6 years old. He eats orchard grass and gets strongid c every day. HELP!!!

Front or back legs? All four? Where exactly is the cracking noise coming from?

I have heard horses with arthritis in their hip and their fetlocks making a cracking noise.

Most likely, if it seems to be coming from the stifles (the knee joint which is at the very bottom of the "hip" part of your horse... the leg part by the groin... it is most likely "locking stifle."

You can read all about locking stifles by searching in the "search Topic" box at the bottom of the page on the Forum.

Andrea

Last edited by a moderator:
Listen to Disneyhorse, she has this enormous big brain and gushes good information from it. I very much agree with her.

However, I would also care to add that it sounds like your horse is foundered in his feet.

Can you take a close up picture and post it ???

Latest posts

Back