Coyotes, anyone have problems with them & their Minis?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone for posting, I really want to thank Jacki Loomis for the link, lots of info, I feel a little better knowing more about them. I won't be taking chances with my minis. We intend to up grade our fences more and get a couple big guard dogs. Our dogs we have now are med- sized old chickens, they shut up and hide when the coyotes are around. I can't say I blame them, that's what I feel like doing too.

You are very welcome, I hope it helped.

Several people have emailed me to get additional wildlife damage control & management articles, we do have an extensive library of resources so please don't hesitate to email me if I can help or visit our site at www.icwdm.org. This site will put you in touch with various articles and give you contact information where you can talk in person to a Wildlife Damage Control expert.

The site and experts are compliments of the Internet Center for Wildlife Damage Control at the School of Natural Resources, University of Nebraska - Lincoln.

Jacki Loomis, Manager Nebraska Maps & More Store

[email protected]

402-472-7550 office

Two days ago, I got a lamb killed again. We have 6 feet non climb fence a tree broke on the fence, coyote went up the tree and jumbed in. I saw the tracks but wonder it took the inside out of the lamb

and left the rest, unusual for a coyote.

I put a line with empty cans so I can hear if the beast stikes again

I had a coyote out here yesterday afternoon 3:30 p.m. stalking my horses - that is why I am wondering if there have been any confirmed attacks on mini's. I've never seen one here before. Hubby says he hears them when he leaves for work, but my horses are put up at night so I have never been concerned until now. Now I am having a hard time relaxing wondering if this coyote is truly going to try to get in with the horses. We called the DNR and they told us to shoot it and bury it if we see it again.

I was wondering if anyone has had any trouble w/ coyotes, have any ever went after minis before? And what could be done to keep them AWAY?

IMO, the best way to keep predators away from your animals is to have a good livestock guardian dog (or two).
default_yes.gif
We don't have coyotes here, but we do have cougars/mountain lions, and from what I've been hearing there are a LOT of them.
default_new_shocked.gif
There was also a wolf shot just 15 miles from here, so wolves are a possibility as well, not to mention people's dogs that are allowed to wander (sigh)... I've seen my dogs in action against a pack of dogs at the fence, and there is a lot of barking and snarling going on, but only a dog with a death wish would try to dig under or go over the fence to get IN with my dogs inside.
default_smile.png
Speaking of fences, good ones are essential, but as Anita stated, things can happen to make fences less than foolproof. (Sorry to hear of the loss of your lamb, Anita!
default_sad.png
) I've had livestock guardian dogs for four years now, and though neighbors have reported mountain lions in their backyards, etc, I've yet to see any sign of any here. As someone else said, make sure that your horses aren't easy prey, and the predators will look elsewhere for a meal.
default_yes.gif

As we have coyotes around us we have been lucky not to have to deal with any of them. Just this past winter it was late and the the cattle dogs was barking so I got up and one was on the porch. Just a few days later Hubby was leaving to go to a horse show and was at the truck and one went thur the back yard. so I called the DNR and this is what they told us to do.

Shoot dont kill that one just drop it. it will start to yell and the others ones will come b/c it is hurt. then fire away make sure you can kill as many as you can.

Hope this helps out it did for us
default_new_2gunsfiring_v1.gif

We also live in a very rural area with mountain lions, bobcats, bears, coyotes and dogs that will pack up. Since getting our livestock guardian we have had NO trouble - all the neighbors have had issues, lost pets, etc, but thankfully we have been left alone -- I strongly believe it is due to our LGD's guarding. That said, we also bring all the mares and foals in at night and the rest of the horses are up by the barn.

Latest posts

Back