Covering Mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BallynoeBaby

Reaction score
Hi to get start to the point i am hoping to get my mare covered this year and hopefully have a new foal next year. I just do not have any experience with mares in labour and things to do before and after. I have read up on the subject but im sure there is no place better to get info than from others who have done it many more times than i can imagine. So basically any tips, pointers and info i will be glad to get.

Thanks

Muiread

OK, well, this can be a wonderful experience -- or not. The "or not" is why you need to read up and be prepared, have a vet who will come quickly if needed. Hopefully you will have a mare who, as most do, have no problems foaling.

Go to the "Best of the Forum" area and you will see some subjects about foaling.

Read Blessed are the Broodmares, excellent book.

Prepare a great area for her to foal and you to stay awake many, many nights waiting.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Take a phone and camera to the barn when foaling time arrives.

Because there is just so much to say -- I'd suggest the forum area of great tips to be read, then hit us with specific questions. Beyond that, I wish you great success and a beautiful foal.

I'm assuming you have "done" your homework on the stallion/mare backgrounds and feel comfortable with the choices and that the mare is fully matured and ready to breed.

I see you are new on the forum, so tell us your background with horses & minis. We may be able to reply with more informative & helpful info, once we've gotten to know you a little more.
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
If you haven't done it before I HIGHLY suggest going to learn from someone in person, either a neighbor or friend that breeds or a short course like the one we teach here at CSU. Breeding isn't as simple as throwing the two horses out in the field. It takes a deep background to safely take care of things. Yes, you COULD just throw them out together, but you are taking a large risk. Definately learn about hygene, handling, and safety before attempting to do it yourself. Not only is it dangerous to the participants, its also dangerous to you as a handler. Minis are small, but they can still hurt each other and you. PLEASE go talk to someone and learn from someone with breeding experience or look into a reproduction and AI short course.

Before I take any outside mares, I check their registration, so a foal can be fully registered, not all my visiting mares I would personally own or have standing in my own yard, but if I feel the basics are there and my stallion will achieve something better/ or as good as, than the mare, I will consider it. Everyone blames the stallion when the foal is below par...................you as anyone are hoping to improve what you have got by taking her to the stallion of your choice. But I have refused mares before, for different reasons height, head size etc at the end of the day with all the wishing in the world you can never make a silk purse from a sow's ear :no: The owner of any stallion will discuss concerns with any breeding mares owner but my the time the 11 months have passed, no-one ever remembers what was discussed and are wondering why they haven't the next show champion in their yard.

Latest posts

Back