cover letter feedback

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maestoso

Reaction score
So I normally wouldn't share something like this but as this particular job is sort of my dream job, I want all the feedback I can get on this letter, and I figured this is a good place to get pretty instant feedback. Im willing to accept feedback on content or grammar/spelling/mechanics . . . so have at it!

Oh, this is a 4th grade teaching position, though I will use a good chunk of the letter for many teaching jobs that I apply for . . .

March 28th, 2010

Paul Andrade

21 Main Street

New Berwick, Maine 03906

Dear Mr. Andrade,

I was excited and eager to submit my resume when I saw the fourth grade position posted on schoolspring. I am seeking a position to utilize my skills and be apart of a staff that I can learn from and grow. I see my career as an educator as a life-long learning experience and I look forward to the opportunity to see what M.S.A.D. 60 can teach me.

My experience with children and in education is extensive but i believe it is my desire to grow and learn that makes me a unique candidate. I believe that the last year of my life has been a turning point for me, and I have learned something new and grown a bit each and every day. I have discovered myself on a personal level, as well as a professional level. I have made a jump from being a USM college student, to being a young professional ready to begin a career in the education field. More importantly, I have developed goals for myself, and I am working towards reaching them. Each experience has been rewarding and it is my goal to continue that growth and share my desire to learn and grow with my students, hopefully inspiring them to follow that path. I believe that to be an effective teacher I must model what I teach. I believe that teaching is more than just a job. I must always model what I want to instill upon my students. I will show them that I love to learn. I will share with them what I am learning. And I will be the kind of person that I am asking them to be. This is the only way to be an effective teacher. With my own love for learning I can support and follow through with the M.S.A.D. 60 to foster a life-long love of learning. I have seen and felt the positive effects of learning and growth and I want that for my students. Also in sync with the M.S.A.D 60 mission, my goal is to develop a classroom community where each student cares about themselves and one another, makes responsible choices, and uniquely contributes in a positive way.

I believe that my role as a teacher is more to facilitate and to encourage, rather than to lead. I want to produce leaders in my students. I believe in inquiry based learning and that relevance is key to reaching all students and pushing them to their full potential. As an educator, I provide relevance by making sure that my students know why they are learning what they are learning, and applying it to their everyday lives. If I can't answer a student with a good explanation when they ask, "Why are we learning this?" then I am not doing my job as an educator. Every student is a unique individual and deserves the opportunity to enjoy a positive learning experience. Each student deserves to feel successful and in my classroom they will! I believe that a teacher's expectations of a student directly influence how the student will perform in the classroom. With positive encouragement and the right resources and tools provided to them, every student can succeed.

I would love the opportunity to share my passion with you in person, and discuss how I can contribute to the M.S.A.D. 60 community. I went to school in M.S.A.D. 60. I have worked as a substitute teacher, permanent substitute, and most recently a fourth grade intern in this district. I started here and haven't left, and it feels a part of me. I feel at home here. I want to continue my contributions to a district that I believe produces students true to what its mission boasts. I look forward to an interview.

Sincerely,

Matthew Drown

If it's something simple go ahead and post feedback here . . . if it's more please PM me or email me, [email protected]

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm no pro on cover letters, but I was taught that it should only be a half of page, tops. Each paragraph should only be 1-3 sentences. It should be brief, but explain how you meet their needs. Use simple language and uncomplicated sentence structure. Never rehash your resume, you can highlight it but don't go into too much detail about your experience. And lastly, if you don't personally know the person, use a : after the name, rather than a comma.

Your cover letter sounds really professional, but it seems a bit long to me. Also, is "schoolspring" a program or website? It seems to me that it should be capitalized? Hopefully someone else can give you better advice. Good luck! I too work with children and love it!

Oops, and make sure that you personally sign it on top of your name. :)

Okay, I'm not an expert either but I will give it a whirl. I'm tired but quickly reading it these are a few things that I would word differently.

It is with much excitement, I respectfully submit my resume for the fourth grade teaching position.

To me, being an educator is a life-long learning experience and I look forward xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

My experience with educating children is very extensive; however, it is my desire to grow and learn that makes me a unique candidate.

I too think your letter needs to be shorter. If you want I can take a better look at this tomorrow after I've had some sleep.
default_biggrin.png

Maybe "schoolspring" should be capitalized? Not sure if this is a websight or just what.

Dear Mr. Andrade,

I am eager to submit my resume to you in regard to the fourth grade position posted on schoolspring. I am seeking a position to utilize my skills and be apart of a staff that I can learn from and grow. I see my career as an educator as a life-long learning experience and I look forward to the opportunity to see what M.S.A.D. 60 can teach me as well as what I can contribute to it from my past experiences.

My experience with children and in education is extensive but i believe it is my desire to grow and learn that makes me a unique candidate. I believe that the last year of my life has been a turning point for me, and I have learned something new and grown a bit each and every day. I have discovered myself on a personal level, as well as a professional level. I have made a jump from being a USM college student, to being a young professional ready to begin a career in the education field. More importantly, I have developed goals for myself, and I am working towards reaching them.

Each experience has been rewarding and it is my goal to continue that growth and share my desire to learn and grow with my students, hopefully inspiring them to follow that path. I believe that to be an effective teacher I must model what I teach. I believe that teaching is more than just a job. I must always model what I want to instill upon my students. I will show them that I love to learn. I will share with them what I am learning. And I will be the kind of person that I am asking them to be. This is the only way to be an effective teacher.

With my own love for learning I can support and follow through with the M.S.A.D. 60 to foster a life-long love of learning. I have seen and felt the positive effects of learning and growth and I want that for my students. Also in sync with the M.S.A.D 60 mission, my goal is to develop a classroom community where each student cares about themselves and one another, makes responsible choices, and uniquely contributes in a positive way.

I believe that my role as a teacher is more to facilitate and to encourage, rather than to lead. I want to produce leaders in my students. I believe in inquiry based learning and that relevance is key to reaching all students and pushing them to their full potential. As an educator, I provide relevance by making sure that my students know why they are learning what they are learning, and applying it to their everyday lives. If I can't answer a student with a good explanation when they ask, "Why are we learning this?" then I am not doing my job as an educator.

Every student is a unique individual and deserves the opportunity to enjoy a positive learning experience. Each student deserves to feel successful and in my classroom they will! I believe that a teacher's expectations of a student directly influence how the student will perform in the classroom. With positive encouragement and the right resources and tools provided to them, every student can succeed.

I would love the opportunity to share my passion with you in person, and discuss how I can contribute to the M.S.A.D. 60 community. I went to school in M.S.A.D. 60. I have worked as a substitute teacher, permanent substitute, and most recently a fourth grade intern in this district. I started here and haven't left, and it feels a part of me. I feel at home here. I want to continue my contributions to a district that I believe produces students true to what its mission boasts. I look forward to an interview.

Sincerely,

Matthew Drown

I just copied and pasted you letter with a couple of changes that I would suggest. I think that the others are right about the second paragraph being a bit long. In fact, if you could condense the content a bit as they have suggested, it would probably be a benefit to the letter.

You sound really excited about this position and I wish you all the luck in the world in landing this job. Best wishes!

The letter flowed better as you got further into it and you did a very good job of getting your passion and excitement across. However in the rougher first portion you used the words "learn" and "grow" way too often. It's repetitious. I would also avoid the overused and unspecific phrase "utilize my skills." What skills, specifically? What do you bring to the company? You showed that better down below but you want the whole letter to have the punch of the last couple of paragraphs. Your resume gives them the facts of your experience so don't restate them; just emphasize what those facts mean for the company who might be hiring you. A wise friend told me the cover letter sells you for the interview and the interview sells you for the job.

Keep the enthusiasm and passion in this letter but make it more concise and impactful.

Good luck!

Leia

Latest posts

Back