Couple of questions?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sassy'sMom

Reaction score
I have a couple of questions about mini donkeys. Can they be kept with mini horses? Do they generally get along? I know there is always a chance for personality conflicts, but I was just wondering in general.

And, I know that a jenny is female and a jack is male. But, is a jack gelded or a stud? Or are they called something else?

Thanks!

I know these other guys will be able to answer better than I can about horses and donkeys getting along, but I can let you know that a jack is an uncastrated male and a gelding is a castrated male.

I can also tell you that even though I knew there would be some bad behavior when I brought in my two new girls with the two I had in there already while they figured out their pecking order, I was still pretty surprised at how they went about figuring it all out. But it only took them a day to pretty much get things settled. I'm sure it would be that way if you were to bring the horses and donkeys together, too.

Good luck!...and oh, the donkeys are so worth it!

Thanks for helping me out. I thought that they could go together, but I wasn't sure. I found a little 7 month old spotted jack that is for sale for only $150! She is getting out of mini donkeys. I haven't talked to my husband yet, I am just checking things out and getting information. I just think the mini donkeys are so adorable!

default_saludando.gif
Hello, I have 2 mini donkeys living with a full size horse, with no problems!

We have a gelded jack donkey that has bonded with our blue roan mini mare. He thinks she is his mom and she thinks he is her baby. We got him very young and she basically took him under her wing. We have done this several times with horses and donkeys. All of ours have always done very well together. Inseparable actually..
default_yes.gif

i run my mini horses, donkeys and mules together, they get mixed-and-matched depending on what time of year it is (breeding or not) and depending on who needs a diet or a little extra chow... they all get along although i have noticed that the horses eat first, then the mules, and the donkeys last. we solved that problem easily by putting up at least one extra feeder in each pen and dividing the feed between them all, so if someone gets chased away they always have somewhere else to go.

also the donkeys will generally hang out together, and the mules will hang with the horses (probably because they were mom) if they have a choice, but we have done it here and we have friends who ONLY have one horse and one donkey and those two boys are best buds...

Thank you for all of your replies! I feel much better about putting a mini donkey in with my mini horses now! However, we have decided not to get the donkey right now. We are going to wait until next Spring or Summer and look for one then. It doesn't seem fair for me to buy another animal now when I it is just too cold most of the time to spend much time in the barn! So, I will wait until warmer weather. But, I look forward to getting a donkey, they are just too adorable!
default_yes.gif

Hello,

I too am fully new to mini donkey owning. We got a 8 month old male in early november mainly as a companion to a full sized quarter horse. (she was fighting with the other two horses and it was getting dangerous). Simon, the donkey, after being slowly introduced to the horses (feeding and tieing him up outside their paddocks) was introduced over a weekend in small phases. After two days Rayne, his quarter horse, and he bonded. We now have to bring Rayne in at night with him. She freaks when she can't see him. They are a very cute pair!!

With mini horses I can't see how they wouldn't get along. We did geld Simon shortly after getting him as the three horses are all mares and he was acting a bit studdy around them. Given his size that wasn't a great scenerio.

He recovered quickly and is now a gentle little guy!!

Simon is now our hobby farm mascot type of thing. Everyone at work and family always ask how Simon is doing
default_smile.png
He's been a fantastic addition to the farm.

sam

Latest posts

Back