Could use your good thoughts too...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim~Crayonboxminiatures

Reaction score
I've had a trying week!

Wed. morning my favorite mare Spring was acting colicky, but with treatment seemed okay, then was back to acting "off" again on Thursday so I had the vet out to see her, she ended up pulling blood as well because she had a bit of jaundice, liver enzymes were slightly elevated, but nothing too crazy. We tubed her with water and a little oil, banamine, etc. and by Friday morning she was doing much better. I also gave her electrolyte paste several times. My vet thinks she had a high impaction, she said they are seeing a lot of impaction colics in their practice because of the fall weather/temperature changes. Thought the jaundice could be something she ate in the pasture and the colid too. Wed morning when she first showed signs of colic, I pulled the other two mares from the pasture so I could watch them all better.

Friday morning one of the other mares in with Spring, Frosty Chip didn't eat her pellets and seemed depressed, her temp was 99 degrees at 9am, then when I checked her again at 11am and her temp has spiked to 104 degrees. Vet came out, she had elevated heart rate and respirtory rate from being stressed, gums were tacky, so also a bit dehydrated, and she looked a little jaundice too. Vet gave her banemine, oxytet (antibiotic), and pulled blood to test her as well. Test results are back and at this point she could have some kind of virus, or possibly an odd late case of Potomac. WBC count was good, she was mildly dehydrated so had to keep her drinking. It is possible that Spring & Frosty ate something in the big pasture they were in that is causing this, the only difference is the fever, Spring has a normal temp.

This morning (Saturday) Frosty Chip nibbled on a little warm mash I made her for breakfast this morning, but wasn't really intersted in eating much of it, or any treats, she is grazing on hay & grass, so has a pretty good appetite. She drank some water overnight, and pooped too! She has developed thumps this morning, so I had to call the vet, I've never seen anything like it! It's like hiccups, her diaphragm (sp?) contracts in time with her heart, it's caused by a calcium deficiency. I am treating her with liquid calcium per the vet and I'm watching her closely for any changes for the worse or better! She is passing some manure, so that is good, and her temp is staying down. It's still a wait and see, I sure hope she is feeling better by tomorrow, I'm trying not to worry!

Spring is very bright today, eating, pooping and eager to share the warm mash I made for Frosty Chip. I think she is on the mend and is pretty much back to normal. I've never been so happy to see a stall full of poop!!
default_wub.png

I'm very confident in my vets, they are very good at what they do, and they always have someone on call 24/7 which is awesome!

And to add to my troubles my dog is also sick, so I'm nursing him as well. I would appreciate your good thoughts and prayers for all of us!

Sorry this turned into a bit of a book, but I wanted to share, be sure to watch the pastures after a frost, and be sure to offer warm water. I didn't plan to have them in that particular pasture, but because of some other horses leaving later than I planned I had to have them out there a week or two longer than ideal, of course I'm kicking myself now...

Hoping and praying that both your girls as well as your dog will be OK! Sounds good that you caught it all early!

Kim, what were the mare's white counts? low like a virus? That sure sounds like that wierd virus that has been showing up late this summer and fall.

I hope all your 'fur kids' are well on the road to recovery. It's hard not to worry, isn't it?

Charlotte

Sorry to read about your triple wammy! I hope your animals get to feeling better really soon.

Kim, what were the mare's white counts? low like a virus?
Frosty Chip's white count was normal, not low or high. I don't think they tested Spring's WBC because she didn't have a fever ever, she was always 98-99 degrees.

Frosty's "thumps" finally stopped, but she still isn't acting bright, I think her fever might be coming back....but she did drink water in the stall so that is great! I think it will be another long night watching her, I'm so thankful for the stalls with cameras!

Thanks for your support, I'm getting very tired, it sure is hard to have them sick.

When our mare had calcium deficiency her thumps stopped, but that didn't mean she was better--it was just a progression of her condition. When the thumps stopped she started having muscle twitches in her face and jaw--it took almost 40 cc of calcium, given IV, to fix her up. Oral calcium wouldn't have been enough for her. Just something to watch for.

I hope your Frosty will be okay, and SOON!

Please keep us posted. Prayers your way!!!

Wow Kim you have your hands full Prayers are with you and your Kids hoping they get better.

I'm kinda having a time with my animals to Last week Debutant my Mini colliced real bad. I was able to bring her through it after about 12 Hours we ended up giving her an enema and I syringed water to her all day long with oil , Banamine and electrolytes it was real ruff shes so little and wanted to roll like an alligator when she was down. and then I had a Dog with a stomach ache and one that was having seizures I was real busy. It looks like everyone is calming down now.

My prayers are with you

You know I am there for you !!!! Hang tough. I know you will be doing a different kind of mare stare all night tonight. Prayers and hugs..

Hope everyone is ok so that your life can calm down. Keep us posted.

Barbie

Frosty and you will be in my thoughts tonight. I hope the morning brings a good report.

I keep wondering about that virus. Low calcium and colic symptoms went along with it. Some horses never had temps and some really high. One was 106.9. Supportive care was all that could be done but to my knowledge all recovered.

Charlotte

That's interesting Charlotte! I haven't had any new horses here though, so I would have had to bring it on the property somehow...my vet thought the younger horses would have picked up a virus first, but you never know.

I just came in from checking Frosty Chip, her temp is holding at 99 degrees, and she is stable as far as no thumps or tremors. She ate a little bit of her alfalfa pellets/beet pulp mash, so that is good too, and has passed some more poop! My vet said the low calcium is not unusual after a colic, and she also gave her oxytet yesterday which I'm pretty sure she said as she was giving it that it binds calcium, and she was slightly dehydrated yesterday. I'm thinking the combo of things probably caused the low calcium along with her being pregnant.

They say it comes in threes, so if that is true once frosty is better you can rest. Prayers for your 3 babies and hugs to you. Some of my have been having really soft poops, like cow patties and I am pretty sure it is the leaves.....I have been working constantly on trying to keep the leaves up but I swear those mares watch for them to blow arcross the pasture...and the wind in Oklahoma latley.....whew!

Hang in there. The weather in this region the past several days doesn't help much either. I Finially woke up to a sunny morning today. Hopefully they are all on the mend and can enjoy the break in the weather.

Carolyn

Thank-you so much everyone for your support, Frosty Chip is much, much better this morning! She was bright and eager for her "mash" and had passed a good amount of formed poop overnight!
default_488.gif
Her calcium was stable all night as well, no more thumps or anything!

Latest posts

Back