Cougar (Puma)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

circlec

Reaction score
Well, we've been hearing a cougar scream every night at about 11pm for the last 3-4 days out behind the house. I'm starting to get a little uneasy about it. It's the first time I've ever heard/saw one. I really didn't even think we had them here! BUT, I saw it the other night. It's a big black cat and it makes some HURENDOUSLY loud screaming noises. I'm worried about the horses as I turn m ine out at night. I don't know if it will bother horses or not. Of course, I keep Oascar (mini) in and foals, but still. I'm VERY uneasy about the whole situation. I just can't figure out why in the world it's sticking around! It comes from the same place out across the road behind the neighbors porch and comes accross the road into the brush field between our house and the other neighbor and continues down along the barn. The other n ight, it came right up through the yard and walked under our pole light. That's how I saw it. I'm almost petrified to go out at night. I don't like it at all!

I'm not sure what you saw but cougars are not black, panthers are but there aren't panthers in our country, I dont' think. there are some animals that make terrible noises that could be mistaken for a cougars scream too. I'm not dismissing the dangers of a cougar, a girl here just had one attack a colt two nights ago, the donkeys and dogs scared it off and the colt is in the hospital. But cougars aren't black. But I can see why your scared, I would be too.

I'm not sure what you saw but cougars are not black, panthers are but there aren't panthers in our country, I dont' think. there are some animals that make terrible noises that could be mistaken for a cougars scream too. I'm not dismissing the dangers of a cougar, a girl here just had one attack a colt two nights ago, the donkeys and dogs scared it off and the colt is in the hospital. But cougars aren't black. But I can see why your scared, I would be too.
Cougars, panthers and Pumas are the same thing. The eastern cougar is black. We saw this one walk across the yard and it was COAL BLACK, so you tell me what it was then!

And the sound this thing makes ain't no bird! Hers in the site of the sounds it makes. Sroll down to the puma. It's EXACTLY, to a TEE what we heard it do last night. It's called the yowel. The other nights we have heard a combo of the cry and the purr.

http://www.bigcats.org/abc/identification/sounds.html

I did say "I don't think" they are black. I admit, theres alot I don't know, I'd never heard of a black cougar in the county. Ok, you know, you are right. I beg forgiveness and hang my head in shame, ok, you have a cougar in your yard.

I'm not sure what you have there but I believe you have a very bad thread on your hands.

We did have black panther in Florida but I believe they are on the endangered species list.

If it's a cougar or a panther, it is most likely their breeding season which would explain the huge sounds it makes and how it is traveling.

If I were you, I would immediatly take precautions and not leave your horses outside unattended during the day and definately lock your barn up tightly at night.

We have cougar and bobcats among other things from time to time, not often though, and you have to be very vigilant when this occurs. We leave out outside lights on and have lights up around the barn too, but that has not persuaded them from not coming close. They seem to be very bold at times and don't act like they fear humans. They are scared of our dogs barking though and that sent the ones we have here back into the forest.

Here is a link for you:

http://www.naturealmanac.com/cougars/faqs.html

I don't doubt you saw a big cat, what time of day was it? I ask this because there is not a puma, mountain lion, cougar(they are all pretty much the same) that is black.

The only black cat, (panther) is truly a black leapard.

My husband and I used to raise exotic animals, and we have had cougars, leopards, lions tigers, you name it, and never have I seen a black cougar.

I would keep my guard up, we know a man that has been having trouble with one injuring his cattle. I don't think it has killed yet, but if it got ahold of a calf I think it would be a different story.

Taken from the same site:

Black (melanistic) pumas have been reported, but have never been verified.

One theory which has been put forward is that whether a cat is perceived as 'black' or 'brown' can depend upon the lighting conditions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wondered about the black thing myself... having never heard of a black cougar - an entirely different cat than the usual black "panther" people refer to...

Size and Color: Adult cougars weigh an average of 140 pounds and are seven feet from nose to tip of tail (tail is almost as long as the body). Color is brown to gray above and whitish below. Black cougars have been reported, especially in South America, since at least the seventeenth century (see image at left margin of 1812 book with a chapter on "The Black Cougar"), but no scientific specimen exists of a black cougar in North America. Young are born with spots that fade during the first year.
That from this interesting site... Eastern Cougars

Cougars go by many names - puma, panther, mountain lion... but the term black panther does usually refer to the black leopard or jaguar.

When I worked on the mini farm in the Rockies... we had a large male cougar living in the cliffs just down the road. I saw him only once in 5 years... but mainly saw his tracks on the road, often crossing mine. He never bothered the horses and seemed to prefer deer and bighorn sheep.... thank goodness.

Regardless of what kind of cat it is, you have something to be concerned about here. Just because it ain’t native don’t mean some stump hasn’t imported it and somehow let it get out. Humans are famous for introducing new species to ecosystems. (and subsequently destroying those ecosystems as well…destroying the planet IS what we do best)

Anyhow, Marty’s right. I’d start off by taking some basic defensive actions like the one’s she suggested. Anything you can do just to make your place seem less big cat friendly should at least be pondered over briefly.

Then CYA. Call your local agencies to find out the rules about shooting them should they threaten your horses. See if there is someone who could track the animal to identify exactly what it is and what it’s eating. IF you are dealing with an endangered species that does not belong here, you might get lucky and find a wildlife reserve that would take in your guest. Find out what all your legal options are for your area.

Maybe it’s found a large population of rabbits. Easy food will bring ‘em back every time. Something else (as Marty said) to keep in mind is breeding. Breeding season tends to make all animals a little less predictable. Keep your eyes open and study the cat’s habits as best you can. Knowledge is power.

well i live in mississippi, and we have what we call "black panthers" they are rare but they are here...they arent natvie to our country but have, i gues you could say migrated, this way. he park rangers call them panthers and they are beautiful and a little shy. There is a community about 15 miles away that has a breeding pair that live their and some times when then young are weaned, they travel this way and we see them. I havent ever heard of them killing and domestic animals around here but peolple have witnessed them killing deer. I love to hear the "screaming" it sends a chill up my body and its almost like an adrinaline rush...i know i didnt spell that right but oh well.

Will

Ok folks, going out on a limb here but the point is not what color cat there is but that there is a cat, I would put them out during the day and lock them up at nite, cats are mostly nocturnal. We have 2 around as well as bears, and I'm on the NY/Pa border. My kids are always in their stalls at nite.

If I were in your shoes I would contact the local wildlife management center near you. As eastern cougars are on the endangered animal list and if you are caught attempting to destroy it you could face large fines and possible jail time. The wildlife management facilities are in place to address these types of issues and they will attempt to trap the animal and relocate it. Hope everyting works out well. Keep us informed

Foals would definitly be at risk, but I don't think one would attack a full grown miniature. The screaming you hear could be a territory dispute going on. We have a little bobcat that has hung around for a couple of years. A few weeks ago we heard a screaming cat fight going on. Now we don't see the little one any more, but a large one. I wouldn't count on all cats being nocturnal--ours shows up in the afternoon. Here he is. I took this photo from my living room door.

bobcatapril2006.jpg

I'm not sure what they are but back in Feb. my niece and I were coming back from a late night Walmart run and we saw a black large cat type thing run across the road in a area of the gamelands here. It was no house cat, I would say the size of a dog. It really scared the you know what out of us.. We are in NW PA on the PA/ Ohio border. And we only live less that 5 miles from were we seen it. I wish we knew what it was, someone told me a bobcat.. But I know nothing about wild cat/animals.. But something is roaming and it is scary...
default_sad.png

Jodie

Foals would definitly be at risk, but I don't think one would attack a full grown miniature.
Please think again.
We had a major problem with cougars here in 1991. There was more than one mature, full size horse attacked. One of those attacked was actually a small draft horse--the cat landed on it & clawed it up pretty bad--the horse put up a real fight & actually died of a heart attack. One was a 2 year old Quarter Horse gelding--that one survived, but he was clawed up very badly and still has the scars today. Another breeder about 6 miles west of us lost at least 2 foals to cat that summer. We had one coming around here a lot of nights--it never attacked one of our horses, but it made basket cases of them by coming to our barnyard & watching them. I have no doubt that if the cat could have caught one of them (Morgans, we didn't have Minis then) unaware, it would have attacked. The thing about cats, they tend to develop a liking for a certain type of meat--if they get horsemeat once, they will start hunting horses, at least that is what I've been told my more than one wildlife expert. Two or 3 years ago there was a horse (mature Arabian) killed by a cougar just a few miles east of here. The horse was in a corral in the yard. Nearby was a pen full of calves. The cat bypassed the calves, an easier kill, to go for the horse.

In 1991 when I called the game wardens to ask about cougars, they denied up and down that there were any cougars in southern Manitoba. I know people that actually saw the cats in this area, but the game wardens said nope, it cannot be. Two or 3 years ago when we had timberwolves come around here & I called the game warden, he pointed out that we could very well have cat too, as there's known to be cougars around. No kidding?? I said.
default_wacko.png
: A few weeks ago a game warden was in my office to look up some property ownership. I went over & asked him if Natural Resources had released some cougars here in the early 90's. (I had started to think they must have, and that's why they had been so adamant that none existed here.) He said no, the cougars just moved in here, either from Minnesota, or Alberta. So, I asked why they had denied their existence back then. He said because they just did not believe that there were any here--regardless of all the people that called to report cougar sightings (and they did get a lot of calls in 1991!) the game wardens had not seen any cougars for themselves & therefore did not believe there were any around here.

So yes, cougars actually like horse meat, and if they will attack full size horses they will surely go for a full grown Mini. A mini foal would just be an appetizer.

We live in coyote and cougar country. Fortunately there are plenty of small wild critters available for them to eat as well.

However, to keep predators off of our property (and so far so good, knock on wood) we do take precautions.

For one, we have our perimeter fence lined with electric, we keep any horses that don't come up close to the house or inside the barn at night in GROUPS. We also have donkeys in one of the groups and llamas in a couple of other groups. Our barn is kept lit at night and we keep a radio playing. Our moms and foals ALL come in at night - no question!

None of this is fool proof, but it's at least an effort.

Oh, and there is one other thing my husband does around the immediate border of our property (when no one is looking) which I know is supposed to keep coyoties away........but I won't post in public. If curious, PM.
default_wink.png
:

MA

Another cat that no one has mention is Jaguar. They USED to be here in Texas but have been driven out - my father has physically seen on at the deer lease, with in the last 25 years. At one point, someone had released a black panther in our area (metro) and it roamed for years until it was killed.

My worry is always these individuals who OWN big exotic cats. The laws regulating these individuals are loosely enforced. I constantly worry about someone's "pet" escaping and finding dinner in my barn!

COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and scary at the same time. could it be possible that some one was keeping this "big black cat" as a pet and then he got to big and they dumped him near your home? you should call wildlife controll or something like that in your area to see what they do about it.

when you find out what it is you have to tell us!!!

I know this a danger for you and your animals, you should keep then inside unless you can watch over them. I just think this is so cool, How many people get to say "well one night I woke up and saw a black cougar near my house"...well not that many people where I live can say that, and I would love to see one the way you have. I think once we had problem with a Jag some years ago he excaped from a zoo i think. any way keep us posted...or atleast me
default_yes.gif
:

-Vanessa

Well, I called our local Game Commission. This is what they said: "Well, we really have no interest in your cat sighting unless you can give us physical proof like a photo of a track, photo of the animal, a video of the animal, etc. Big cats don't exsist in our area."

BULL PUCKY! They're so arrogant! Do they REALLY think I'm going to get close enough after dark to get a good photo? Umm.....I DON'T THINK SO!!!

We're going to wait up tonight and see if we can get at least the scream on tape. Hopefully, it comes across the yard again so I can take the tape to the commission and throw it in their faces!

Well, we have had cougar sightings around here off and one for several years, but so far I have never heard of one attacking horses. There are wild goats in the mountains and numerous deer herds, and maybe they like those better than horse. I naturally worry about things attacking my horses, and it is extra worrisome that the big cats might prefer horse over some other prey. We live in a rather wild, rural area and it gets a little depressing sometimes that we are always having to destroy something to save something else. Right now we have no domestic animals, except my two horses--it is just too hard to keep pets around here. Our game wardens ALWAYS take us seriously when we say we have sighted something, and I am sure he would help us trap/hunt anything that we felt was a danger. There is a bounty on bobcats here, and our neighbors questioned why we haven't killed "ours". I think more large predators are beginning to show up in semi-rural areas, since they are no longer as actively hunted as in the past, and neither are the animals they prey on, such as deer. There is something about a seeing big predator that give you a gut feeling that they are not fuzzy toys... Worry, worry, worry!

We have problem here in that people get exotics as kittens and when they too big they either let them go or the fencing doesn't hold andthe owners don't do anything because it is not legal to have them - they are accustomed to people feeding them so they go to houses. They also love cat food if it is out or dog food. Keep all food stored away. They stay away from lights unless they've been human raised - try leaving bright lights on - home depo has cheap bright work lights that are easy to put out. We used them for shows and grooming sometimes. If it is human raised you'll be able to get a picture in the lights - if it is wild it will find somewhere else to hunt. Best wishes!

Latest posts

Back