cost of shipping to Europe

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WJS

Reaction score
default_saludando.gif

[SIZE=12pt]Love buying AMHA horses but the cost of shipping to Europe has killed any ideas of buying my dream horse.[/SIZE]

Does any one know of cheaper options, quarantine, flights, transport etc.

Total cost of shipping to Europe so far are aproximately $5000.00, that a lot of $ and then you've got to buy the horse. Well Ive got to have that horse!
default_wub.png

Any help would be appreciated.

Invent a teleport machine.

Just kidding... good luck getting that horse!

Andrea

Last edited by a moderator:
Boy that is higher than what it cost for horses we have sent.

Maybe you can PM me with where the horses are and what quarantines/exporters you have contacted.

I would be happy to try and help you.

I've not actually shipped one yet, but there are 2 or 3 transport companies within 2-3 hours from me. I had got the impression that it was much cheaper than you were quoted. Of course there may be additional charges on your end that we don't hear about over here.

Boy that is higher than what it cost for horses we have sent.
Maybe you can PM me with where the horses are and what quarantines/exporters you have contacted.

I would be happy to try and help you.
Thanks Joanne, I will do in the morning.

I've not actually shipped one yet, but there are 2 or 3 transport companies within 2-3 hours from me. I had got the impression that it was much cheaper than you were quoted. Of course there may be additional charges on your end that we don't hear about over here.
THESE ARE THE CURRENT CHEAPEST PRICES QUOTED, NO ONE THING, BUT COMBINED!

quarantine $2550

transport $775

cutoms Amsterdam $1081.50

cutoms uk $172.50

vat on import $160.50

transport $600.00

This is the cheapest so far...$5339.50 OUCH!

WJS

£/$ $7654.03 $7191.48

Hi -- your signature says you are in the UK, so can I ask why you are flying via Amsterdam?? We are in Wales and flew Dragon in via Prestwick, Scotland. Are you by any chance down by the south coast of the Uk? (I could understand the possibility of coming in via a European airport if so) It is just that you seem to be paying two lots of airport fees!

If you are coming via Amsterdam and then using the Tunnel to get into the UK, please remember all the 'breakdowns' they have had recently and make sure your transport has plenty of food and water on board, plus loads of bedding and enough space to allow your little one to have the freedom to move around and even lie down to rest (move the partitions) while the vehicle is stationary -- these little horses are extremely tired/exhausted by the time their flights land, and yet they often/usually have to face road journey's of many miles and hours.

I seem to remember that it coast us around £3,500 to import Dragon back in January 08! When are you hoping to import your new mini?

Anna

No livestock allowed in the tunnel, it would have to be a ferry, or another flight!!

Right! Thanks Jane - I never gave that a thought - silly me LOL!!

Anna

Hi -- your signature says you are in the UK, so can I ask why you are flying via Amsterdam?? We are in Wales and flew Dragon in via Prestwick, Scotland. Are you by any chance down by the south coast of the Uk? (I could understand the possibility of coming in via a European airport if so) It is just that you seem to be paying two lots of airport fees!
If you are coming via Amsterdam and then using the Tunnel to get into the UK, please remember all the 'breakdowns' they have had recently and make sure your transport has plenty of food and water on board, plus loads of bedding and enough space to allow your little one to have the freedom to move around and even lie down to rest (move the partitions) while the vehicle is stationary -- these little horses are extremely tired/exhausted by the time their flights land, and yet they often/usually have to face road journey's of many miles and hours.

I seem to remember that it coast us around £3,500 to import Dragon back in January 08! When are you hoping to import your new mini?

Anna
Hi Anna & Kathy,

flying into Amsterdam because it is cheaper than flying into Prestwick, Jane is right, you cannot bring back on tunnel, you can go via tunnel but have to come back via freight ferry, roll on and off. Last time it took us 9 hours from Skipof to my door. 3500 pound equates to $5250 at current rates.

How is Dragon?

with kind regards

wjs

I am importing now... My quarantine and vet fees and flight is 2,600...not bad, there are cheaper ones out there , but only by a few hundred dollars or so. With transport to the quarantine that will go up, and the coggins and pre purchase vet report-health certificate. I am going to Luxemberg... my taxes are a lot less. Its like 45CHF for this 20 for that, 20 more here and there... then I called the customes agent at the Basel station goin into switzerland, only 250 there . So it looks like your doing your homework, its important to contact the customs agents directly so you can ask spacificaly what you need and dont need. The horse will almost always need to spend 1 night at the airport in order to get the vet health report that you need to take the horse into another country. This means you will have to get a hotel room , if your picking the horse up, as they wont allow you to sleep with the horse ( I asked) ... I will be surprized if I stay under 5,000 by the time Chico is in my pasture. Even at this price its cheaper then what you will pay here for a horse. The going rate is about 4 thousand Euro fo a low grade horse, it goes up from there if you want something nice , and started.
default_wacko.png
a really good halter horses will cost you a lot more then 5 grand on this side of the pond.

Wishing you good luck Krissy - bet you are getting really excited!

WJS, I have to say that I did not find Preswick 'expensive' at all -- it was the dreaded VAT on the purchase price that shot the cost up!! If you come into Amsterdam, how does the tax work, do you have to pay extra VAT upon entering the UK? Just interested.

Thanks for asking, Dragon is great! Quite a little character, he has us regularly chuckling at his antics - although we try to hide our laughter, wouldn't want to hurt his feelings LOL!! We are expecting 10 or 12 foals by him this year, but having read some of the sad posts on LB recently, I am starting to feel really apprehensive. He, of course, has no idea that his efforts of last year are going to cause us many sleepless nights soon! His thoughts have already turned towards Spring and the coming season, and he is bouncing about the place shouting his attibutes to anyone who will listen! Haven't told him yet that he will not be quite so lucky this year as he was last LOL!

Hope your importing experience goes ssmoothly for you.

Anna

I to have been looking into importing, we had a post about the cost a couple of weeks ago...

Its a shame i think about the cost of the miniatures in europe because even the home grown ones are very expensive.

We do have some wonderful AMHA horses in europe now but i think everyone puts to much of a high price on them..

We need to find a happy medium...importing is a lot of $$$$ but then theres always that horse you just have to have
default_laugh.png

I to have been looking into importing, we had a post about the cost a couple of weeks ago...Its a shame i think about the cost of the miniatures in europe because even the home grown ones are very expensive.

We do have some wonderful AMHA horses in europe now but i think everyone puts to much of a high price on them..

We need to find a happy medium...importing is a lot of $$$$ but then theres always that horse you just have to have
default_laugh.png
YEP... Its really a crime. I have paid well over 4 grand for a horse that wasnt worth 1/4 of that....my mistake, wont happen again. I didnt know what to look for in a halter horse, and didnt realize how much i wanted a halter horse.... Instead I paid top dollar for an unbalanced ear pinner... thing that irks me is that people here think she is nice and keep telling me to breed her, she has a splay hoof, and is all over unbalanced... I wont produce another one of her, it wouldnt make sense... A lot of people here ( breeders) dont know what the horse is suppose to look like , they cant even tell a balanced horse from an unbalanced horse, we really need some educated people from the US that can speak German to help a lot of these breeders out, they are just breeding overpriced low grade horses.
default_no.gif
One man in Germany wanted 5 thousand Euros for a yearling that was completely wild, couldnt even get a halter on her... From the photos the filly looked like her legs were crossed and all over the place. I thought it was crazy to ask so much for a horse with a bad conformation... he sold her 1 week later to someone that will breed her to make more poor horses to sell for 5 thousand Euro. this will continue until people over here know the difference between the good horses and bad ones. I guess it will just take time.

Check with Marion of Oasis Miniatures in Texas. She is from Germany and runs a quarantine place.

I to have been looking into importing, we had a post about the cost a couple of weeks ago...Its a shame i think about the cost of the miniatures in europe because even the home grown ones are very expensive.

default_laugh.png
YEP... Its really a crime. I have paid well over 4 grand for a horse that wasnt worth 1/4 of that....my mistake, wont happen again. I didnt know what to look for in a halter horse, and didnt realize how much i wanted a halter horse.... Instead I paid top dollar for an unbalanced ear pinner... thing that irks me is that people here think she is nice and keep telling me to breed her, she has a splay hoof, and is all over unbalanced... I wont produce another one of her, it wouldnt make sense... A lot of people here ( breeders) dont know what the horse is suppose to look like , they cant even tell a balanced horse from an unbalanced horse, we really need some educated people from the US that can speak German to help a lot of these breeders out, they are just breeding overpriced low grade horses.
default_no.gif
One man in Germany wanted 5 thousand Euros for a yearling that was completely wild, couldnt even get a halter on her... From the photos the filly looked like her legs were crossed and all over the place. I thought it was crazy to ask so much for a horse with a bad conformation... he sold her 1 week later to someone that will breed her to make more poor horses to sell for 5 thousand Euro. this will continue until people over here know the difference between the good horses and bad ones. I guess it will just take time.
Yes your right Krissy, there are some breeders in Europe that are not breeding good quailty but they think as long as they are AMHA registered thats all that matters ..not the case...

I have seen people turn down the chance of buying a very correct but non AMHA Registered miniature only to pay top dollar for a AMHA reg horse that should have only been pet priced...it isnt fair to the people starting out that arnt sure what they should be looking for....
default_no.gif

If only we had the wonderful selection of quality horses they have in the US at such sensible prices....

but without the import cost
default_wink.png

If only we had the wonderful selection of quality horses they have in the US at such sensible prices....but without the import cost
default_wink.png
We DO have wonderfull quality miniature horses in Europe: Elevage de la Buise from Cedric Dubroecq , Tina Fisseler, Cornelia Steinbrecher, Alison and Stephen from Hailstone Miniatures, 5-star miniatures, Made in Spain and others (this is just from the top of my head).......they DO have good horses and sell them for good prices and without the hassel and paperwork of importing a horse from the US.

But I think for a lot of people the problem is that they want to buy a horse for $500 and expect it to be the next European Champion.

A champion quality miniature horse is a luxury to have and does not come cheap.

Yes there is the occasional diamond in the rough for a low price, but then you would be very lucky to find it.

And yes there will allways be bad breeders or people that try to sell you crap for a high price. (excuse my french)

You need to keep your eyes open and look at the horse with your head and then your heart. Think of the investment you are making.

I am sure that if you look around in Europe, you will be able to find good quality AMHA horses for a reasonable price.

And if you do want to import a horse.....be prepared to do your homework/paperwork/and payments.

If only we had the wonderful selection of quality horses they have in the US at such sensible prices....but without the import cost
default_wink.png
We DO have wonderfull quality miniature horses in Europe: Elevage de la Buise from Cedric Dubroecq , Tina Fisseler, Cornelia Steinbrecher, Alison and Stephen from Hailstone Miniatures, 5-star miniatures, Made in Spain and others (this is just from the top of my head).......they DO have good horses and sell them for good prices and without the hassel and paperwork of importing a horse from the US.

But I think for a lot of people the problem is that they want to buy a horse for $500 and expect it to be the next European Champion.

A champion quality miniature horse is a luxury to have and does not come cheap.

Yes there is the occasional diamond in the rough for a low price, but then you would be very lucky to find it.

And yes there will allways be bad breeders or people that try to sell you crap for a high price. (excuse my french)

You need to keep your eyes open and look at the horse with your head and then your heart. Think of the investment you are making.

I am sure that if you look around in Europe, you will be able to find good quality AMHA horses for a reasonable price.

And if you do want to import a horse.....be prepared to do your homework/paperwork/and payments.
I DID say in a previous post that we DID have wonderful horse's here in Europe!!!! but they are priced very high compared to the price's in the US ,even for home breed horses....

We arnt talking about people paying 500 and then expecting something special we are talking about paying 5000 and getting crap....... People wouldnt import so much if they could get what they wanted from Europe at better prices...surely that makes sense!!!!!!

A 5000 dollar "good quality" horse would cost at least double that in Europe in euros.....so in a lot of case's its cheaper to import than to buy from breeders here,, thats what i was saying ......

Yes there will always be bad breeders but its still unfair for the people who dont know what they are looking for and end up with a poor quality miniature horse.............

Latest posts

Back