Corgi's?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashley

Reaction score
Tell me about them...good with kids? everything I need to know...

This is one option I am looking at for a dog. My gf is willing to get me the puppy of my choice for VDay, with in reason..... This is one of my option. I have giving up on going through a rescue and after doing much searching I understand how and why they have so many dogs. Pretty much all require a fenced yard, one required puppies to go to homes with children 10 and older while adult dogs could be with children as young as 5 but not any younger.....Ugh so im going back to the route of the breeder.

Sweet, little hardy (haha ;-)) dogs in a small structure. Requires frequent brushing.. Because they shed quite a bit.

My mom has a corgi, she is very laid back. Foxy loves food, so you really have to watch how much she diet because she gains easily and would be hard on her legs. My mother babysits and she is great with kids. Loves to be with them, although not overly playful she loves to cuddle with them. My aunt also has 4 and they are fairly active,. they are fine with other animals, and don't really chase any of the farm animals unless instructed too. I own a corgi border collie cross, and she is very active, likes to chase the horses. She is 8 1/2 and has the energy of a pup. Lucy is even better with kids and people in general, she loves everyone!! Foxy at times can be a bit nervous of adults, but is never snippy she just goes to her kennel and sleeps until they leave. She will play and wear the children out with them trying to keep up with her. Loves to please and is always close by. I find our corgis are very smart obedient dogs. I really enjoy having corgis.

*yes the purebred corgi does shed quite a bit.

100_9125.JPG

100_8487.JPG

October 13, 2011 (9).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty sure nothing sheds like my boxer did!

Whats the average price range on these for pets? Just checking to see if the price I was giving is decent. They are females, unpapered

The kennel I worked at that bred them sold them for $600 / pet quality, while I was there he bought two females / breeding quality for $1,200 each..

Boxers and a like breeds shed a lot! Corgi's just prepare for the undercoat shedding and fluff everywhere.

I dislike smaller breeds but aside from Dachshunds I really like their personalities and I have been around many.

Ashley, a Corgi definitely DOES shed more than a Boxer.
default_yes.gif

I've had Pembroke Welsh Corgis for 40 years and even bred a few litters and showed them.They are usually very sweet and love everyone.I currently have a 12 yr old and her 10 yr old daughter.I hope to have them til I die.You definitely need a fenced yard.No legs, but they can run like the wind and think it is a game when you are trying to catch them.Be prepared for lots of cleaning.I have hardwood floors and always have hair bunnies rolling around on the floor even if I do a quick sweep every day.Corgis have a double coat with lots of fluffy undercoat which comes out often.I don't usually buy black clothes due to lots of dog hair on it.All that being said I still love my Corgis and wouldn't be without them.

Ok, the hair did me in. Guess I will rule these guys out. Back to the drawing board

Ashley,

Have you checked at your local animal shelters? Most shelters in my state will adopt to anyone (ie you don't have to "qualify" as with rescue groups). Staff and volunteers at most shelters will listen to a description of what you want, and show you which dogs/pups would fit your needs. Not only would you be saving a life, but most shelters have very reasonable adoption fees that include vaccines, deworming, and spay/neuter, so you would be saving plenty of money, as well. And you could put the money you saved into a savings stash for unforseen veterinary bills, which are almost a certainty from time to time. And, although there are plenty of purebred dogs/pups at animal shelters, a sweet mixed breed dog will often have the advantage of having less health issues (ie "hybrid vigor", as well as not concentrating the undesirable gene sequences for breed related heritable problems that most breeds have within the purebred populations)

Wendy

I'm with Boss Mare/Michelle I think Dachshunds are great! We have owned them for 27 years. We have had all 3 coats and our smooths did not shed. They have been great with small children, we now have grandchildren. My daughter has 2 dachshunds and a 2 year old daughter and a month old son and they are gentle and sweet with both. Hers are both smooth and she doesn't have any shedding or allergy problems. I just thought I would throw my 2 cents out there for the dachshunds!!! LOL Keep us posted on the puppy hunt!!

I love my Dachshunds! If you do some searching you will find out they come in a variety of coat colors too -- solids, creams, dapples, brindles and piebalds. Three different hair types to choose from -- smooth, long hair and wire.

I have smooth and long hair and the shedding is very minimal. They don't bark unless it's to alert us. They are playful enough to be entertaining and just as happy sleeping for hours at a time. They are smaller dogs, but don't act like your typical little dog. They love people and are very intelligent.

I bought two from a forum member for $600 each, one from a pet store (I knew better, but couldn't resist) for $550 and my other I got from another breeder for $800.

I have seen them at local rescues. I have also seen them priced in the $250-$300 range.

I've had some owners/customers tell me they have difficulties with house training, however I get that for a lot of other breeds too..

Three of mine are just about flawless with being house broken. I crate train, they are crated during the night and during the day if noone is home. My youngest is a year and she came wee wee pad trained and that's what I continued -- big mistake. She still has accidents in the house, so I do offer her a wee wee pad and she will use it. I really should have crate trained her like the other ones. My parents now have my first Dachshund and he isn't crated at all. He has free roam of their house at night and all day when noone is home and he never has an accident.. He rather make himself vomit at the door waiting than go in the house.

My one Dachshund, Jaxson is a cool little dog. He loves swimming, playing in the snow and cuddles just like a living stuffed animal.

I've had some owners/customers tell me they have difficulties with house training, however I get that for a lot of other breeds too..

Three of mine are just about flawless with being house broken. I crate train, they are crated during the night and during the day if noone is home. My youngest is a year and she came wee wee pad trained and that's what I continued -- big mistake. She still has accidents in the house, so I do offer her a wee wee pad and she will use it. I really should have crate trained her like the other ones. My parents now have my first Dachshund and he isn't crated at all. He has free roam of their house at night and all day when noone is home and he never has an accident.. He rather make himself vomit at the door waiting than go in the house.

My one Dachshund, Jaxson is a cool little dog. He loves swimming, playing in the snow and cuddles just like a living stuffed animal.
I find this very interesting, my MIL has had two doxies, and both were difficult to house train. She made the mistake of using wee wee pads with the current one, and its caused more trouble than been helpful. [if it makes a difference both were male; first intact til older, second neutered a little over a year old.]

I raised / potty trained two males and two females. All spayed or neutered 3.5-6 months of age.

I may get mixed opinions but I am a fan of crate training. I kennel two together and they love "going to bed". They have a thick throw blanket and at night I cover half of their crate.

The one that's still not completely house trained is the wee wee pad female. I really need to start at ground one with her.. She only has the occasional accident, but I can't remember the last time the others have had an accident.

My other dog is a Pointer / Beagle? mix. She is 10 + yrs. a puppy mill breeder rescue and will literally hold it until 15 hrs.. She has a lot of anxiety of loud noises (storms, gun shots, etc) and will lay under the bed and shake until she thinks its safe to come out. If you try to pull her out to go potty she darts to the nearest corner, shower, etc she can find and just won't go. She also is never crated and has free roam of the house at night and during the day. She does have a canvas crate by our bed she likes to sleep him.. She feels more secure being secluded when she has one of her anxiety episodes.

Added:

Having both long hair and short hair Dachshunds, their personalities are a little different. It's hard to explain unless you own both. The long hairs are more laid back and easy going.. Lyn J on the forum told me that when I bought one of each and never really imagined it to be true.. Can't speak for every dog but its true with mine.

Corgis are so cute! One of my friends have one and shes such a little angel! =)

How about a miniature schnuazer. Don't shed, great with kids and easy to train. We have one he is black got from a breeder. I paid $375 for him and is AKC. He is very sweet. Barks alot but that is him talking as when we talk he joins the conversation!

Are you set on a puppy or would you be ok with a young adult? I supervise our shelter and you would be suprised at how many of the young adult dogs here are already house trained. You would also be suprised at how many pure bred dogs we get here (such as the gorgeous brindle boxer currently asleep by my feet). Are you willing to transport/ship?? If so please pm me...We are in alabama and I could probably help find an awesome dog!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back