Corgi's?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Michelle has given you lots of good info on dachshunds! We also have crate trained all of ours. Up until last year we all were gone all day working/school and they were in their crates until they were about 2 years old. I am retired now from teaching so I am home with them. We have had 3 smooths, 3 long hair and 1 wire and their colors were.....3 black and tan, 2 red, 1 chocolate dapple and 1 cream! My personal favorite is the black/tan smooth or wire! They are really, really cute, playful and real Love Bugs!! There are lots of rescue groups for dachshunds out there too.

We did just change things up a bit recently and bought a chocolate Lab puppy! She is doing great in her crate at night and when we go out!! Working on walking nicely without pulling. She is getting really big and very strong much different from walking the little dachshunds!!

I would much prefer an older dog that is already house trained/crate trained. However, my experiance with rescues here has been a pita so far and finally gave up resorting at a puppy from a breeder. I LOVE boxers!

If you love Boxers, but want a small breed-how about a Boston Terrier? Same look and coat. Happy, fun loving (still need the fenced yard and "door watch"-they are jet powered ). My sister has one and just loves her. Actually-the whole family/relatives love her. She's the original 'don't worry-be happy' dog!

My gf has one, want something different

Some of the reasons we get Pembroke corgis in rescue, HAIR!!!!, chasing kids and horses, nipping heels. dUH! They are herding dogs!

Do your research on the breeds you consider and think hard about what genetic issues the breed might have. If there is a test, I would want the parents tested.

Adults give you the option to select a dog whose personality is developed and you know better what you are getting.

Consider a cardigan welsh corgi, not quite as bad of a shedder, not so barky, wonderful dogs. I have had Pems for over 20 years and my cardi has made all of us converts.

Invest in a little more expensive dog from a breeder that screens breeding dogs for genetic problems. Having lost 3 Pems to DM, I will NEVER get another unless the parents are tested.

You can learn from the parent clubs what to look for. I strongly urge you to buy from an ethical show breeder. Easy to pick them out, they sell with contracts, one clause specifying they would take that dog back at any time in the Dog's lifetime.

Research, research, research those breed characteristics, after all the goal is a pet for life.

Latest posts

Back