control bar or chin chain for a stallion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Echo Acres

Reaction score
We will be showing a stallion for the first time this year and I was tossing around the idea of getting a control bar for his show halter. What do you use control bar or chin chain and why?

I have only ever used show chains and that's worked well for my boys
default_smile.png

I think it simply depends on the "boy"

we have one we use a bar on in the beginning of show season and then go to a chain, and one we only used a chain on.

Chain...i have used the bumper bars and i personally feel like i have less control with the bars. The horses seem to not react the same as they do with the chain.

We will be showing a stallion for the first time this year and I was tossing around the idea of getting a control bar for his show halter. What do you use control bar or chin chain and why?
Depends on the horse. If you have a sweet little studmuffin that wants to do nothing but please you, a chain is sufficient (just make sure all the welds on that chain are good). But if you are showing a horse that acts like a rank, rammy little jerk and tends to be a little A.D.D. - a bumper bar might be called for.

HOWEVER - if you use that bar, and if you use it correctly, one good pop is probably going to be sufficient to keep his attention for quite a while. Pulling down is NOT going to work. You have to have your hand above his head, and you need to give it a good snap upwards. But do not do it repeatedly. You could actually harm him.

I've only used a chain and find they work very good... I've shown a stallion, a colt, and a hot gelding all on chains and it seemed to work for me.

I too think It depends on the horse
default_smile.png
Best of luck!

I really like the control bars as I am able to relieve the pressure on their faces the instant they give me what I want.

My stallion in the past would only show in a control bar other wise he was flipping his face all over and acting like a jerk due to the pressure. As soon as I switched NO ISSUE.

I do have one mare that will only show in a chain. So it all comes down to the horse.

I use either a chain, wrapped around itself so that it doesn't actually tighten on the horse's jaw, or else one of the biothane chinstraps.

Latest posts

Back