Contracted tendons

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manyspots

Reaction score
I have tried to quickly find past posts on contracted tendons but thought I would post here and see if any quick replies. We had a nice filly foaled at 10pm last night, but front legs were what I considered to be contracted. they "buckled" under when she stood. And her leg muscles/tendons seemed quite stiff. It is now a bit after 9AM she has been up nursing, I helped early on with that and now her left front leg appears to have straightened out. There is still quite a bit of the golden slippers on both hooves yet. her right front leg still "buckles"/bends under. I mentioned possible Tetracycaline from Becky I think posted earlier. vet although great to try anything is a bit cautious about it. (more of a cow, sheep, hog vet) He wanted to know how much and where shot is given? Anyone, Becky? right in leg muscle or where. Also I found someone mentioned Vit E/Selenium he seemed to like that idea. And of course there is always shredding tendons but hoping we don't have to go that drastic. Anyone more experiences you could share with some info? Nervous "grandma" here always wants everything perfect. any things you tried/time line appreciated much! She is nursing good and stands but does bend leg at bottom under, leg seems stiff yet to me. Help! Vet running a bit late will be here around 1:30PM today. Lavonne

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Lavonne,

If they are straightening out then I think they are on the right track. We had a foal born on Monday that initially was standing on his front toes, but they have come down through normal exercise on their own.

It really depends how contracted they are and if they are correcting. Having slippers on at this point would be normal if she is not standing on them and wearing them off.

Keep us posted on what the veterinarian says.

Often times just exercise will help them. I have used the Tetrycycline (sp) the idea is to essentially OD them on it. If it is going to help it will do so within 24 -36 hours after the dose. There is a risk of it effecting the liver/kidney so you have to weigh that risk as well it is a IV drip dose at least it was when we did it not a single shot.

I know there is a picture Tony of Little America posted of a foal he had and how much he straightened up with no treatment at all.

I am sure others can help you more

Lavonne - so sorry to hear of the problem with your little filly. Hope that your vet can be of some help!

Here is an article by a vet on the condition Shortening Tendons

Good thoughts comingt your way.
default_unsure.png

Hi,

Of course pics would help, we might know how much she is contracted and if she is in ballerina stage or this is just newborn stuff.

I have had a filly with ballerina syndrome and we used tetracycline 2X's on her. I believe 7 days is the best you can get out of one shot. It for some odd reason relaxes the tendons. Helps a little bit so that they can start stretching naturally.

If the foal is in ballerina syndrome, there are now several options, surgery is my last option I choose, if nothing else works.

There are glue on shoes, magic shoes if you can get them, epoxies that are moldable into shoes etc., that become front extensions (as opposed to behind the hoof extensions), which help naturally and slowly stretch the tendons. I did this with my filly after the vet told me repeatedly I would only correct her with surgery. Now the vet documented what we did (the farrier and I) and keeps that with him for his other clientele.

I hope this helps!

I had a filly born here last year that was contracted in the front. I was just SICK over it when I first saw it, thinking she was club-footed!
default_new_shocked.gif
Below are some pics of her the day she was born.

feet1.jpg

feet2.jpg

feet3.jpg

feet4.jpg

Later in the day I cut the pads off, and that provided some immediate relief, but still was pulled tight, and like your filly, moreso on the one foot, and the other one relaxed sooner. Here are the pics showing the immediate difference...

feet5.jpg

feet6.jpg

feet7.jpg

Here she was at 4 days old:

feet8.jpg

Here she was at 6 days old:

feet9.jpg

And here she is at about 2 or 2.5 months of age:

feet10.jpg

feet11.jpg

They turned out fine in time. I never did anything special, other than cutting the pads off that same day, and allowing normal pasture exercise...no shots or anything else. Hope this helps. Good luck with your filly, and CONGRATULATIONS!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice Mona! Cutting those pads I have to believe does more than just get the pads off, I honestly think that it does something to the whole foot structure, maybe even chemical change in the muscles. I haven't proved it yet, but I just note the big difference between foals who still have them well after birth to those that loose them right away - big difference!

I could take pics but not great at how to post on here. but Mona your filly is much like mine. Thanks for the pics and info! Her right hoof might be a bit more turned under than yours. When she stands to nurse she isn't up on a hoof really but the cornet area more. Also did you notice the tendons were tight? I have been massaging the legs and trying to turn the hoof more the way it should go but doing it very gently. Amazes me how tight the muscles/tendons are. I will definately update and hope to have Larry help with some pics for all of ya! Any more ideas or help or pics? vet will be here in about one hour. I want to share with him everything! thanks guys! Lavonne

Mona, you are making me feel so much better I could cry! And I am so glad to see how nice your foal turned out. I am feeling less panicy now. about time for vet! Lavonne

I would not worry too much Lavonne, I think your foal will be fine. I have seen some pretty whacky things through the years with various equine on various farms, etc... and most turned out just fine. Foals legs are made of rubber bands, I swear, and once they are up and excercising and using those muscles and stretching things, they seem to correct very quickly.

Thanks for all your advice, I shared it all with our vet. He put a little splint on and to have her wear it for the half day today. Then tonight I removed it and will see how it is in the AM. If I need to put on again I can. He did give the vitamini/selenium shot also. It was already a bit better by the time he got here around 1:30pm. (I am kinda thinking he did the splint more for me than her!ha!) Thanks again! and when I am able to take some pics will do so. Lightening and storm here right now. Lavonne

Back