Contracted tendon

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CyndiM

Reaction score
I know this has been discussed before and I tried to use the keyword area but got an error message so here I am with a question or two.

My mare foaled yesterday and the filly has a contracted tendon, it is a hind leg. The Vet was here, about 2 hours after birth, and put a cast (splint) on her but he said he didn't think it would do any good. He said there was no resistance. I have to change the pading and every other day so that means tomorrow. He said to leave the splint off for about an hour and see if she uses the hoof and for how long then call him.

Can anyone tell me what to expect? What has been your experience with this and how long did it take to heal or change? Have you ever had one that did not heal normaly? I don't even know if heal is the correct term.

Thanks Marty and yes I will take pictures tomorrow.

Everything I have been able to see or read so far doesn't look or sound like her. She had her hoof bent back at the joint (just like if you bent your hand back and then rested your arm on the bent joint) and was walking or running on the joint. However the Vet said it was a contracted tendon. She did put her hoof down on the ground when I finally got her and mom in the barn, but it was only for a few seconds.

I forgot to say the Vet did give her a IV shot of tetracycline also yesterday.

just like if you bent your hand back and then rested your arm on the bent joint)

Odd, ok that's not what I was thinking of.

That is sounding like a deformity of the coffin joint.

Looking for research. Will post if I find something.

The tetracycline has been known to help when given very early, as this case. They don't know exactly WHY but it helps. Hope it relaxes and she begins to use the leg/hoof fully.

Yes Bess that is what I am reading now in this research. Boggles the mind doesn't it?

Very interesting case. This is one I am going to be learning from.

With the few contracted tendons I've had here that were severe enough to warrant it, my vet has IV'd tetracycline. It seems to do the trick! Also, just normal exercise relaxes those tendons and ligaments and within a week, my foals have been completely normal. I would be hesitant to splint those as the foal needs to bear weight on it to stretch those tendons/ligaments.

Thanks everyone for your help and comments.

Here's the GOOD news: I took the splint off this morning, as the vet said, and she stood on that hoof just fine. I kept it off for one hour (per vet's instructions) and watched her she walked on the hoof just fine and only bent it back twice. The little stinker even bucked and ran around mom like nothing was ever wrong.

I called the vet and told him what was happening and how she was doing. He said he was impressed and to leve the splint off but to wrap the leg and joint with padding and vet wrap to keep the joint stable for a few more days. I'll change the bandage tomorrow and see how she does without it for a hour or two.

I sent Marty a picture of the sore she wore on the leg but now it seems so minor. I'm doing the happy dance she's doing better.

That's great news! I bet she progresses to completely normal in just a few days.
default_smile.png

Back