Constant Head Bobbing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleRibbie

Reaction score
this has been going on for a couple mos. and just slowly getting worse. Thought perhaps flies although we dont have many and masked her...didnt really help. Right now I can sit here and see all horses resting under the tree comfortablly just an occasional tail swish...not S.B.. her head is always in motion up and down. Checked for ear mites cant see any, should I treat for them just in case. No eye watering although we did treat her last year for eye ulcer and as far as I know it cleared up, vet came out several times and the last time couldnt see anything in the eye so I assumed everything was fine. Its hard to tell if she is THAT much better in her stall where it is not as bright...she seems to still do it. Vet was out last week for vacs. but stupid me forgot to have him check her. Looked on line and saw several articles on Head Shaking Syndrome but Im not sure if I should be classifying this as "syndrome"...just hoping its an easy fix and something not serious.

The vet can not get out until Friday but can you all tell me things that perhaps I should ask him about...any tests that I should have done. What the heck am I missing here??

Thanks so much

Heidi

WE thank you!!

I'd have her teeth checked and see if there is something going on in her mouth that is bothering her. Good luck!

Thanks and yes that was a thought of as well. She does seem to eat o.k as far as not dropping food but it could be something else going on in there. Will have the vet check that when he's here. The thing Im most concerned about would be the onset of ulcers I just dont have enough experience in them to know the signs. But I know if I was bobbing my head all day I would surely get an ulcer. I probably should have started the ulcer preventative meds. which I do have, but its really only been the last 2 weeks that it appears to have intensified. I want to add she does this even when she is laying down.

I'm afraid it sounds like something neurological to me. Could she have possibly hit her head neck or back, falling, or playing with other horses...a kick perhaps?

Oh Sue, that is the one word that I havent wanted to hear, but I understand that I cant rule anything out. "Could she have possibly hit her head..." Yes, I guess she could have...shes a mini horse she could do anything!! But I can truly say that I have never seen any of my horses playing rough...they run around but there is very seldom any real kicking up of the heals/hoofs. Her motor skills ( not sure what else to call them ) seem spot on. She's the 1st or 2nd to notice something out of the ordinary in the pasture, always 1st to hear the sound of a mint candy wrapper, she is a little nervous of things anyway so she is well in tune with everything going on around her...she doesnt miss a trick and has always been that way. There is nothing that I would consider even the least bit not safe in her pasture for her to get hurt on.

Im thinking she will have to go to the hospital for xrays which I hate to do b/c her buddy is preggo and I know will throw a hissy fit and stress out if S.B leaves, only if for an hour or 2. I am afraid to stress either one of them out. Its just the pits!!

At this point I would be thrilled if it was ear mites....at least that would be an easy fix!!

I have one that does that when her allergies are acting up. Might be something else to consider.

Well, I always tend towards the very worst, so am constantly pleasantly surprised when I am wrong. Guess I am sort of a pesimistic optimest??
default_yes.gif

As for having nothing to hurt themselves with...my vet has always said that a horse is born looking for ways to hurt itself. Truer words never spoken.

I would definately have a vet take a look. You don't have a regular vet that can do farm calls? If not, I would just take them both to the vets, and have them both together for any process required. It would be far less stressful that way for ALL involved (humans included)if they are that dependant upon each other.

I tend to plan or expect the worse too. My vet will be here on Fri. and Im hoping they will be able to diagnose quickly but I just have this feeling that he may want X rays so then I would have to bring her in.

Jessica, did you have your horse tested for allergies? Is there anything that your horse takes to help. We do have a coat of pollen on just about everything right now so perhaps.....

I just want a handful of all your suggestions to bring up to my vet tomorrow. Thanks so much

Ticks in the ears? They can get way down in there and hard to see. Have to be treated by a vet.

Just a thought.

I hope it's something that simple.

Charlotte

p.s. Have you tried wiping her face and ears down with fly spray and see if that made a difference for about 30 minutes? Fly repellents don't last very long mostly. There are some tiny flying insect out there that seem to take a liking for just one horse in a herd.

I never had her tested, my trainer suggested allergies so I tried AniHist and it made a huge difference in her. She has eye allergies to flies that we already knew about, she;s one of those super sensitive types, so pollen allergies made sense for her. She gets bad for a couple of weeks in the spring and I start the AniHist when they seem to be bothering her. It is not legal for me to show her with it (she's a biggie that I event with), so I have to stop so long before shows. I have also heard that a net over the nose can help. I have a full length Cashel fly mask for her, not sure if it makes a difference or not. I know a couple of other people with riding horses who have tried the nets you can buy that attach to the noseband of a bridle and have had good luck with them.

Thanks Charlotte, I havent seen any ticks this year yet but it very well posiblly be one way in there that I cant see maybe the vet will gently twitch and be able to get a better look see. The fly spray nor the mask seems to make a bit of difference her head still bobs.

Jessica, thanks for the heads up w/the allegies. Will definatly be running that by the vet. I have to say, this A.M. its real foggy and misty out there and she is hardly doing any tossing of her head...that get me wondering if the sun or something is really bothering her eyes.

will hopefully have my answer in the next few days

Thank you all

Heidi

Latest posts

Back