Congress, AMHR Nationals or AMHA Nationals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, IrishHills, never would have thought that TN was as far from Oklahoma as Wisconsin! We're 12+ hours from Tulsa also. Last year was my first year alone and I thought the drive would NEVER END!

I plan on going this year unless health problems get in the way. I figure I don't have that many more years to show (born back with the dinasaurs, he,he) so I can't afford to miss out on one.

I'd love to share a ride with someone but my trailer, at present, will only hold my 2 or 3 and my "junk".

Sadly, I will not be able to go this year. I really would have liked to send Esprit, he is doing very well in the regional shows. I can't really afford the money OR the vacation time.

I am hoping to spend some of my vacation with my husband and son to go somewhere nice when my son gets home on military leave. By the time he gets here, it will have been two years since we've seen him. I can't wait for that!

We usually hit 5-6 local shows a year, but not this year. We have been doing to minimal to get qualified for Nationals. We will be going, we consider it our "working vacation". If the gas does go over $6 per gallon, then I am out, it would be a matter of principal. The few shows that I have attended have been pretty small. I am sure Nationals will feel a hit due to fuel.
default_sad.png

I save gas where I can. I no longer drive faster than 50mph to work and back home. It has made a real difference in my gas bill.

We will be at Congress and AMHR nationals and actually we are attending 2 more shows than the previous years, it cost more for us in fuel with a diesel but we get better mileage than my gasoline truck.

We will be attending the shows like normal even the fuels costing is up compared to the other years and will be close to $1000.00 for Nationals alone from $660.00 last years cost.

We wait all winter to go showing the horses and that is the way it will be no matter how high the fuel goes, actually it went down a whole nickel since yesterday here in Pa. We will be taking 6 horses to Nationals and 2 to Congress, I have room to haul 6 if someone close along the way needs a ride to Congress to help out with fuel costing.

Gas is 3.89/gallon and diesel here is over 5.00/gallon.

Last edited by a moderator:
We will be at Nationals with a load most definelty, luckily it's just 5-6 hrs from me so it's an easy drive.....but definelty even that short of a distance you feel the fuel costs.

Congress I'm not sure on yet, I have some that could go, but they are also mini size, so can go to Nationals as well......It's a long haul for a small load (3, when I'm used to hauling about 10+) another thing is time off of work, not sure I have enough leave to take off the time it would take me to get to congress stay the duration, drive home............and then be in Tunica for two weeks.

As far as qualifying shows, I've been to about the same amount, but staying decenlty close to home - within a few state radius.

We’re going one way or another. Nationals is a short drive for us. Congress, well, we’re desperate and will “Show Pooling” with some rift-raft from Texas.

Most of our horses are with a trainer and “B” is right: It makes it more tolerable to share fuel prices with several clients. The downside to that is that the trainers then turn around and actually expect you to pay them for all the work they do.

Oh, and Gasoline is NOT a by-product of Diesel. The components that make up Gasoline comprise roughly 47.4% of a common barrel of crude oil. Distillate Fuel Oil (which includes home Heating Oil and Diesel) makes up about 23.2% of the same barrel. The reason that the price in the Middle East is so low is because that is where the VAST MAJORITY of the oil we use everyday comes from. OPEC makes its money by selling to us fools who are now in a bidding war with China and India. They don’t need to charge their own people much at all.

We’re going one way or another. Nationals is a short drive for us. Congress, well, we’re desperate and will “Show Pooling” with some rift-raft from Texas.
"Rift-raft"? Hmmmm, we could leave YOU
default_new_shocked.gif
at home Mike! Or, perhaps, strapped to the hood as a bug shield? Or, maybe under the truck bed with the spare?
default_laugh.png

For anyone who doesn't mind their horses riding with MIKE's (actually they're owned by LISA
default_yes.gif
), I could pick up a 1-2 more on my route from TX, OK, and off to IN. Fuel would be split equally.

This "show pooling" is actually a great idea! Im not sure how much room we will have on the trailer, im expecting to take 3 (maybe 4) so will have room on the trailer, we should get together a list of who will have room and is willing to share a trailer ext and post it somewhere for congress / nationals / world. Im in NW ohio.

Leeana

Actually we do not get most of our oil from the middle East at all... the top importer is Canada, (1886 thousand barrels per day) followed by Saudi Arabia (1541 bpd), then Mexico (1220), Nigeria (1102), Venezuela (980), Iraq (697), Angola (433), Algeria (269), Ecuador (247), Kuwait (232), Brazil (175), Columbia, Russia, Congo & Chad.

Total imports of petroleum to the U.S. is as follows:

Canada (2532 bpd), Saudi Arabia (1556 bpd), Mexico (1331), Nigeria, Venezuela, Iraq, Algeria, Russia, Angola, Virgin Islands, Ecuador, United Kingdom, Kuwait, Brazil and Colombia.

Surprized at some of these? So, it's not just the middle East- why are we not 'pointing fingers' at anyone else? All I know is someone is getting pretty wealthy, and it sure isn't me.

P.S. Just edited to note that Europe and Japan have very high gas taxes... Arabia and Venezuela subsidise theirs.

Excellent rebuttal Laurie!

My sources indicate that in March of 08, it looked something like this:

Canada 1727

Saudi Arabia 1535

Mexico 1232

Nigeria 1138

Venezuela 858

Iraq 773

Angola 375

Algeria 232

Ecuador 231

Brazil 188

Kuwait 178

Colombia 120

Russia 108

Chad 101

UK 95

As Canada is, indeed, the largest single country that we import from, I will concede your point. (time to annex them)

However, the Middle East is a region comprised of several countries. When you add Saudi Arabia, Iraq, and Kuwait (the 3 largest individual country suppliers from the middle east), you get 2486 bpd. That figure doesn’t even include the UAE, Libya, Algeria, Afghanistan, Pakistan, etc. (On a side note, we are acquiring more and more of our Natural Gas from Qatar.)

Don’t know if I’ve redeemed myself in your eyes, but…Really, the point is that we import WAY too much and need to all start working to change that. We’re driving ourselves out of business by being a relentless “consumer country”. Nevertheless, as our population continues to grow with no end in site, so does our level of consumption.

Hey Lisa or Mike,

I was also told that the US govt sold our soul several years back....when the Sha of Iran and those oil enrich countries were needing help to get their plants up and running and the refinery work, that agreement (what ever it was that the two countries agreed upon) expired and that is why our cost to buy oil is so high. They are laughing all the way to the bank spitting in our eye that they can get gas or diesel for pennies on the dollar and we are paying out the nose. Is there any truth to that? You know how radio folks are. Can start a fire with a small spark?

Karen

Yes I think it would be a good idea to start a thread where people can post, state, room for horses/ponies, state whether they are willing to take stallions, etc.

Hey Lisa or Mike,

I was also told that the US govt sold our soul several years back....when the Sha of Iran and those oil enrich countries were needing help to get their plants up and running and the refinery work, that agreement (what ever it was that the two countries agreed upon) expired and that is why our cost to buy oil is so high. They are laughing all the way to the bank spitting in our eye that they can get gas or diesel for pennies on the dollar and we are paying out the nose. Is there any truth to that? You know how radio folks are. Can start a fire with a small spark?

Karen

Hi Karen~ I'm not aware of this particular circumstance. Doesn't mean it is or isn't true... just that I haven't heard of it before.
default_smile.png

I really believe the largest contributor to our current prices is that we are part of a world market, and the world market for fuels is booming.

Interesting info and yes, I went a step further in the U.S. wanting to be independant of importing fuel, as that is what many folks have been asking.

Back in the 70's the U.S. had about 35% of the fuel imported. It is now about 55%!!! There was a study that at the growth rate in the U.S. and the MORE fuel we are using, instead of less, that if we did not import this fuel, we would totally deplete our supply in four or five years!!!!

Hahaha, I dont think Canada would want to be annexed, LOL

I too, think it would be an excellent idea to post maybe something that can be 'pinned' for folks to find rides to and from Nationals this year, and other shows?? Carpooling sure helps...!

Its up in the air right now. If the building business takes another nose dive I'll have my answer sooner than I think. I think storring winter hay for us would be just as important.

Total imports of petroleum to the U.S. is as follows:Canada (2532 bpd), Saudi Arabia (1556 bpd), Mexico (1331), Nigeria, Venezuela, Iraq, Algeria, Russia, Angola, Virgin Islands, Ecuador, United Kingdom, Kuwait, Brazil and Colombia.

Surprised at some of these? So, it's not just the middle East- why are we not 'pointing fingers' at anyone else? All I know is someone is getting pretty wealthy, and it sure isn't me.
And it sure ain't the "little guy" up here either. :DOH! We've been paying MORE for our fuel than the US...forever...so how does THAT figure???
default_wacko.png

I know, it'a all just crazy............. sure wish things would get 'back to normal'........... I will miss going to Nationals this year.

I know, it'a all just crazy............. sure wish things would get 'back to normal'........... I will miss going to Nationals this year.

We'll all miss you too!
default_sad.png
Isn't it possible that you could team up with a couple of more people to split costs with? We've had as many as five of us go together, sharing both fuel costs and hotel. It sure helps!

I'm going, period. Tig's qualified and going... What's more, we're DRIVING!!! Gonna take us 4 days, but we plan on seeing the sights along the way. And then on the drive back we'll be pulling my new Wrangler trailer!!!

Kari

Latest posts

Back