Conformation

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sixshooterfarm

Reaction score
lucy.jpg

What do you guys think of her conformation. I am just curious and i cherish what you guys have to say .
wub.gif
I honsetly do, you guys know allot!

OK....The Forum is hiccupping again!!! Sorry about that
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I'll play
smile.gif

Now what are you thinking of woman??

Get a decent halter on her!! How can we see her head????

No, seriously, I realise this is not your choice, and this is just about the best pose for a critique, but I would also like to see her other side, and pictures of her relaxed, so this is just based on what I see, OK??

I see a nice little mare- how old is she??

I LOVE her colour and her markings, they do a lot for her.

I like her shoulder and her length of back, if I were showing her I would relax her slightly as she is SO taught it makes her tie in at the bottom of the neck a little cramped- as if she were "tied in" at the bottom there, and I do not think she is.

I like her overall proportions, they are good.

I like her length of neck.

She has a few faults but let's not go there as no horse is perfect.

If I were showing this mare I would (obviously) work on getting her ears pricked and I would drop her head down and slightly towards the Judge.

Reason??

For me her worst aspect is her head, which is just a touch plain.

A lot can be done with a nice halter with a wider noseband, and a tiny bit of ringcraft.

That being said, heads are a matter of personal preference, and hers is only slightly too long below the eye- a small fault in anyones book.

Someone will come by in a minute who loves her head- you see.

I think you have got yourself a very nice little mare!!

How old is she? That's a factor.

What I like:

color

length of neck

tail set

little ears

shoulders

What I don't like as much:

body kind of thick

plain head

throat latch

a little butt high in picture (if young, that's a stage a lot go through!)

long underline

feet / hooves look too vertical

[SIZE=14pt] Overall I like the shape of this mare. Neck is well set, back short, legs straight but hooves need angleing more she appears clubby here. Longer underline on a mare is acceptable, Leaves lots of belly room. Good shoulder, a bit post legged in back. Hip is short and a bit too straight causing the post legged look behind. Still not terrible though. Her worst feature to me is also her head. Very long and plain and her eye is small. She also has a more modernish shetland profile to her head like Sweet Tart ....almost convex. Thats the only part of him I dont like either. When you show her use a wide nose band and pull her forlock down into her face between her eyes It will soften that area. She is attractive. I like the tightened up look and so do the judges here.[/SIZE]

Lyn

I really like her color, she has a nice topline, she has a nice neck and I think it ties in nicely. I agree that she is staning a little too steep in the pictures. I really like her shoulder angle. Overall I really like her. I agree that she is somewhat plain headed, but it's not bad and with the correct halter she will look gorgeous. Go show her and have fun, I'm sure you'll do great.

saludando.gif

I like this little mare. The feet ARE NOT clubby, it is because of the way the

picture is that makes her look clubby on her feet. Get a more relaxed pose as

Jane says and you will pretty much see a different horse. Please try to find

someone who knows how to set the horse as this will make a big difference also.

Linda B
yes.gif

Hi, guys, well I am so happy oyu guys like her. I too think her face is a little long after her eyes, her eyes ar not as big as i would like but I have seen other pictures of her, and this picture really dosent do her justice. She has al ot bigger eyes, and the head isent as long i really think it is the halter maybe. Any ways, I dident take the picture nor did I set this mare up. This is the previous owner, who took this picture. I will post more pictures. I want you guys to be down right honest when I ask you guys what you think of my horses, i want to know the truth lol!

lucky_head.jpg

Ok so what do you guys think of her head now? its just a different look at it, I want the honest truth,if you think she has the head of a hippo then say so lol! thanks guys, I will post plenty more pictures of her when she gets home!

NOT the head of a Hippo
biggrin.gif

She is too long below the eye, and her eyes are smaller than I would normally like BUT she has a lovely soft look to them, and her muzzle is neat- not heavy- I think you can do a lot with this mare, I would not kick her out of my field.

The main point is any faults that she has a little ones- you asked us to be picky, so we are being, but there is nothing "glaring" here.

A good stallion would put all this right in one go.

Setting her right and the right halter would do the same!!
yes.gif

Hi Six Shooter - your filly startled me a bit as I thought it was a colt I'd sold last year! Very similar looks.

Also, I noticed your stallions name. How is Maximo doing?

I didn't know you owned him. I have a few photos of him from his younger days I can dig out as he lived here for a couple of years.

[SIZE=14pt]I have a coming yearling with a similar head., only his is accentuated by a narrow white blaze which makes it look even longer. anyway , she is still pleasant to look at even tho her eye to muzzle length is long. It should be the same from the tip of the ear to the eye as from the eye to the muzzle and her distance comes from the nostrils down which is the longer part. It is more pronounced because her eye is small. As we said before if you show her with a wide noseband and accentuate her eyes a bit, her neck and body are so good that it wont matter so much about her head. She has a neck placement that is very desireable and lots of other horses dont have. That will compensate more than you think right now.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Oh trust me I am not kicking her out of my feild either, I have a stallion, who has excellent breeding, he has a very nice short, dishy face, HUGE doe eyes, and he is tiny and fine boned and elegant oo. so The second she gets to my farm and she comes into heat oh boy is she gonna have a boyfreind. I think the two of them will be a perfect match.! Thanks all, thats what I want is for you guys to be picky! It makes me feel good about my horses when you all are not going OH MY GOD what is that?? lol Thanks guys!

Yes, Maximo is really nice, isn't he? I really like this filly, although that halter is really not doing any favors for her at all. The only thing that bugs me about her is her head... it is somewhat plain. The halter gives the impression it is bigger than it is, makes her throatlatch look thick, and also makes her neck look shorter than it is. I have a big hunch that when you show us pictures of her in a well fitting halter she'll look amazing. She is a beautiful filly, and you are lucky to have her. I hope you show her before you retire her to the breeding shed! She should do well!

I would have to see a better side view photo of this mare before making any serious comment, as there are aspects of her conformation that it simply isn't possible to properly evaluate from the photo posted. Absolutely, she needs a properly fitted halter-also, the mare should be standing TRULY square, and with the hooves fully visible, not 'buried' in either sand or grass. In the photo posted, she is actually standing pretty 'forward' over her legs, though it would not be immediately evident to many. Her front legs are back somewhat, her hind legs, even more so. The best side view photo of horses, to show their ACTUAL conformation as best as possible, is to position them so that each pair-front, hind-of legs is 'set' so that you can see BOTH legs of the pair, at least from the knee/hock down-with the legs as directly'under' the horse as possible(neither forward nor back.)In the photo posted, if you dropped a plumb bob or other true perpendicular down from the point of the buttock, it would line up with the FRONT of her hind legs; if the horse is standing truly square, and is conformationally correct, such a perpendicular should line up with the BACK of the rear cannons. Since stretching a horse tends to 'hide' certain conformational features, it is not desirable in any attempt to evaluate conformation through photos.

BTW, a long underline is not in itself undesirable. Short topline, long underline usually translates to more desirable angles of the shoulder and hip. However, you don't want one without the other!

Latest posts

Back