Conformation lfaults in the legs and showing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KGminiaturehorses

Reaction score
I have a question or two regarding conformation faults in the legs and showing. I have a 2 year old filly who is a wonderful performace horse that does very well in her classes. Although, I do not show her in halter due to the conformation faults in her back legs. She isn't horribly cow hocked or anything like that, just toes out slightly. I was just curious as to if you guys have ever had a horse with back leg conformation faults, and still shown halter? I'd like to show her in some youth classes just for the experience and fun, but don't want to be "out of place." Thanks in advance for any advice!
default_yes.gif

Any pictures are welcomed aswell!

I would show her. Especially if she has some other really great feature to play up. Remember even halter horses have faults. Its the degree that matters and the other qualities of the horse. Toing out slightly isn't that huge of a fault. Also remember it depends on who is in the class against her. I have seen cowhocked horses sweep a class because the rest of them was so outstanding.

If no one showed a slightly cow hocked horse, there would be a LOT fewer horses in halter classes! Watch closely and you will see handlers/trainers setting the legs just right to hide a slight fault like that. So you definitely want to practice placing her feet to set her up properly and have her STAND. To indicate how common such leg faults are, when I was showing Max I remember a judge walking around him and mumbling to herself "I can't believe how straight he is, I can't believe how straight he is...". I didn't have to worry if he moved a foot out of position, because it would only look like he moved a foot, not show up a conformation fault. But as the judge indicated, that is not all that common.

Good luck!

Many times you will see a top trainer win with a horse that is less than perfect and people will say it is because of who was leading the horse. Sometimes it is but also those trainers have learned how to set up that horse to hide any conformation faults. There are many, many tricks to hide faults and show the horse to it's best advantage. Halters and how they are placed can change a horses head. The placing of the legs and the spacing between front and back legs can make a difference. These are the kind of things you learn the more you show. Have someone who is knowledgeable look at your horse to tell you where they look the best when you set them up and teach the horse to set up that way.

Going into a class and picking out what horses you want to be next to can make a difference. My World Champ Val, has the biggest natural roadster type movement so I would trot him out on a long lead fairly quickly to emphasize his trot.

Go show your horse in halter and learn what you can and have a good time.

I say go for it. I have a show mare who was severly injured in her stiffle as a 2 yr old. She was kicked by my sr mare in the pasture and it fractured her leg and blew out all her ligaments and tendons. The vet wanted to put her down right there and I said NO WAY! She could get around on 3 legs and if all else failed, I'll make a broodmare out of her later on since I knew she would have a limp. Well it was a yr later and she healed up nice, no limp. BUT dose however when she walks, her leg now moves out like her foot twists in and her leg sticks WAY out. And she stands bold legged. She is my halter mare and all I do is push it in and ya cant even tell she has that old injury when standing in front of the judge. And I do take home blues with her!

Not sure if ya can tell, but here's her standing bold legged in the pasture and it fixed in the arena!

(her rear left leg)

100_4441.jpg

wes2009_2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If she were my horse, I would show her.
default_smile.png
Showing should be fun, win or loose. If you enjoy showing in halter, then go for it! And as others have said, many great show horses have "faults", they just have other qualities that over power their faults.
default_yes.gif

Thank you all for your input and opinions.
default_smile.png
I am going to go ahead and show my filly in halter this year. All in all, it's for the fun of showing, and getting that experience with my great little horse. Here is a picture of her from this last Fall at a Pinto show. Her eye looks a little goofy due to editing out red eye. Her name is Minnie,
default_wub.png
"Bucks Bikini Jam." She was my first miniature.

MissMinnieinAlvarado.jpg

To hide her leg flaws, it may help to sand her hooves and just use clear polish on them. It wont call attention to her white legs like the black does, and will actually make her legs look longer. It also looks like her feet might be trimmed a little wonky, seems like each hoof is at a different angle, she doesn't have much toe, and has too much heel on some hoofs. I would bet a good trim would make a difference for her. It might not fix it 100%, but would help hide it.

I agree her hooves look wonky. Cant tell if its the picture (dirt on her hooves) or bad trimming.

I see you are going to show her! Good for you!
default_yes.gif
My gelding, Sox is cowhocked and I still show him in halter, I pulled first and seconds last year above and right under some VERY nice horses. I even had more then one judge comment on how much they liked him. Which is a huge compliment to me. So just show and have fun! You never know
default_wub.png

You will notice that horses that are slightly hocky usually have MUCH better movement and lift in the back than a horse that is perfectly straight. I agree too with her feet being 'wonky' lol- is that a technical term? hahahaha A good trim as suggested and making sure she is balanced and I would certainly try some halter classes! You just never know and I know of a few top show horses with titles that are not exactly straight- so go for it!

Latest posts

Back