Conformation Critic

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmerfudd21

Reaction score
I would like to know what you think of my mares.
default_yes.gif
Shylo is the black. Sapphire is the paint and Apples is the bay

100_6851.JPG

100_6852.JPG

100_6855.JPG

100_6857.JPG

100_6858.JPG

100_6862.JPG

100_6863.JPG

100_6865.JPG

Okay I'm no pro but here is what I see with each girl....please no flames as I'm using this for practice lol

Shylo-

• definately butt high
  • has big QH hip (but I like to see that in performance horses)
  • I like her head, but I think the halter makes it look longer than it actually is because it doesn't fit right
  • not sure if she is ewe necked or just needs sweating/stretching?

Sapphire-

• pretty head
  • I think she is the mare that is least butt-high
  • would like to see her neck longer
  • nice legs on her

Apples-

• again, butt high
  • good legs from what I can see
  • decent head, would like to see her with ears up and properly fitting halter
  • would like her neck a touch longer

By the way, can I ask does anyone think that Shylo maybe carries some pinto gene from that blaze? I first though splash but I'm not sure?

First of all, I'd like to say that they are in good weight and look very well cared for.

However, they have some conformation flaws which I would consider them to not really be of show or breeding quality.

Shylo has a poorly conformed neck that comes out low from her chest, which does not allow it to raise up naturally. You can see when she is asked to stretch her neck, it bulges out of the bottom because she isn't built to raise up her head properly. Her rump is very, very butt high (higher than her withers). Ideally, you'd like to see the withers and the top of the rump to be level to the ground, and in some breeds the withers a teeny bit higher. She is built backwards and this will make it very difficult for her or her offspring to ever be useful for driving or other performance disciplines. Her tail is set somewhat low, which generally is not desirable in miniatures. She also looks like she tends to be sickle hocked in the hind legs a little bit.

Sapphire is slightly more balanced overall than the other two mares, and her hind leg angulation is the best out of the three. However, she is still a little butt high and her neck also comes low out of her chest.

Apple looks like she could be related to Shylo in that she also has a very, very high rump and low neck set. Her neck is very, very short which is undesirable. She looks pretty straight in the shoulder, and this sort of upright shoulder does not lend itself well to good movement. She also has the plainest head out of the three.

I hope this helps you identify some of the conformation issues in your horses.

Andrea

Thanks for commenting.

Tybee Tyme Minis: Yes, you are correct Shylo's sire was a black and white tobiano paint, and her dam is Saphire the paint in the other conformation pictures. Shylo is only 2 years old so I think that may be some of the reason why her butt is higher than it should be. Do you think she may even out over time?

Thanks for commenting.

disneyhorse: Actually Saphire is Shylo's dam, and Apples is a half sister to Saphire. So I quess they are realted. Thank you for taking time to comment.

I'm new to minis so not much help, but I've been checking out everyone elses show and breeding horses for a while and when I saw your mares I noticed something looked different. I couldn't work out what it was till disneyhorse mentioned the low set necks. If they were mine I wouldn't breed them but that doesn't mean anything, still learning myself! lol They are super cute tho

btw - what does 'ewe' necked mean? is that just describing neck starting low in the chest?

btw - what does 'ewe' necked mean? is that just describing neck starting low in the chest?
swanneck.jpg

You often see horses that are ewe necked that have a dip in its topline and a big bulge underneath the neck. When it comes to these mares I have to agree and say they don't show any desirable traits to breed for, sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
So far you've gotten some very good critiques from qualified breeders. I would only be repeating them.

I'm not sure what you would like to hear. They are not broodmare quality but that does not mean that there isn't anything for them to do.

Latest posts

Back