Conflicting opinions on mares due date

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tammie

Reaction score
First of all this mare is not confirmed in foal but if she is, when would she be due? Her breeding dates were June 12-20th. I have been given 2 different dates by different people and one is at the beginning of the month and the other is at the end

I am going to have her palpated soon. I am so very anxious to see if this mare is bred. She is a large B and a maiden so I just can't tell by looking at her at least not yet. This will be my very first foal if she is bred and I am so excited. Keep your fingers crossed that there is a baby in there.

Thanks,

Tammie~

She will be 330 days on May 16th

Last edited:
LB foaling estimator

You can use the above link to figure foaling dates.

Since ovulation is what causes the mare to go out of heat we use the last date bred when figuring foaling estimates.

Since June 20 is the last date you list her as bred she will be 300 days on April 16 2007.

Our mares here generally foal between 300 days and 325 days. We begin checking for udder development at about 270 days.

We have had one mare who foaled in the low 290s....291, 294 etc.

Decide on your due date then figure 30 days either side of that...... :bgrin The're gona do it their way! :bgrin

Oh my! Now that would be the best thing ever if she foaled on that day since it is my birthday.

Thanks so much Lisa but now this is the 3rd date I have been given so just out of curiosity and I guess a little laziness as well (cause I could count the days myself) which breeding date did you count from? I have been told to count from the middle breeding date by one person and then to count from the end breeding date by another and the due dates I was given were May 9th & May 26th.

Tammie~

Tammi I do like Charlotte.. I fiugre out 330 from the last breeding date to give me a general idea.

At 280 days or so every horse gets a weekly "baggage" check once they start to develop they get checked every couple of days until the changes warrant daily checks. As a general rule most of my mares tend to foal in the 320 range however I have had some at 290 and others and 365 days :new_shocked:

IMHO you should use the 300 days date as the one to aim for... most of our mares foal in the 310 - 320 range... but we have had foals at 296 days, 304 days etc.

I would not wait until late May to start watching her. We never have set "due dates" here - as only the mare knows when that will be...
default_yes.gif
:

I would have said May 6--320 days from her last breeding date. I have one that was bred June 23-29 & I have her down for May 15th. The other was bred June 25-30 & I have her down for May 16th. But, since this mare foaled at 297 days last time I'll be watching her starting in early April.

I've found that 320 days seems to be our average gestation, so I use that to figure the due dates, then of course start watching them before that. Some go earlier, some later but 320-325 seems to be our "normal".

LB foaling estimator

You can use the above link to figure foaling dates.

:bgrin
Thanks for the link.

My new mare was pasture bred from May 1, 2006 to end of Aug 2006.

Just for fun, I entered May 1 into the calculator, which shows her at 280 days today. [All I know about her is that she had her 2006 foal in April and is an easy foaler.] Calculator shows that 330 days would be Mar 26 with the May 1 breeding date.

Yes, it's highly unlikely that she was in heat on May 1, when she was turned out with the stallion, but it still gives me something to go on. She won't be bred back so early this year; an April foal is too early for this climate. I probaly will try for May foaling for next year. Only time will tell.

You're going to get a lot of different opinions on due dates! A mare normally ovulates the last 24 - 48 hours of her heat cycle. I take the last day a mare was in heat and give them 11 months as a 'due' date. However, I do start checking for udder development around 280 days. My mares have foaled from 297 days to 349 days. Quite a spread and you just need to be very aware of what your mare(s) is doing!

Thanks so much everyone for all your replies. I'll keep you posted as to whether or not she is even in foal. I plan to have her palpated in the next couple of weeks.

Tammie~

Latest posts

Back