Conditioning/Feeding the Halter Horse?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuckTheBear

Reaction score
Hello!!

I have been working on a feeding/exercise regimen for my little man and was wondering if y'all had any advice. I am feeding him good grass hay and SafeChoice (I can't afford Ultium, lol, and it has 14% protein). He has really nice conformation but I would LOVE to get his butt and chest muscled up. I have been working with him for 30 minutes a day, but only doing things that he enjoys (jumping, going for jogs, lunging, etc.) so he doesn't get sour. He LOVES working, actually- he's a weird guy.
default_smile.png
ANYWAY, any advice? Thank you!

Hill work is great for building hindquarters. Backing is also good although some disagree on how much to do. I like practicing backing my mare through cones--it is good obstacle practice. Try adding some cavalettis to your lunging routine, it will help build chest muscles. Depending on your set up you can do a cross country course for your mini, so you will have to trot/canter between jumps. It will keep you in shape too.

There have been many topics related to this one so be sure to check them out too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Watch the heat. 30 minutes a day is fine and your feed program sounds nice too. Don't forget to spend a good while cooling him off. Best wishes.

Latest posts

Back