Coming into heat and bred while pregnant ??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WLS

Reaction score
Is it possible for a mare to conceive, then come back into heat and willingly be bred while she is actually in Foal.???

Last year I bred a 3 year old maiden mare in early June, and she returned to heat six weeks later. So we bred her again. All breedings were hand breedings. This mare has actually been VERY interested in the stallions throughout the winter and saw her teasing a stud today through the fence.

First, I did not think this mare was even pregnant because of her attraction to the studs. Then I discovered in March she was actually pregnant and Vet confirmed. So I calculated she would foal late June/early July according to the last day she was bred. Well today this mare is HUGE and has developed an udder over the last few days. She looks much more like a May baby than a late June baby.

Would it be possible she actually conceived on the first breeding? And not the second? Anyone ever had this happen.? We have had some weird things happen over the past 15 years of breeding minis, but never one like this.

Latest posts

Back