Columbia Co. Fair Open/Miniature Horse Show!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nootka

Reaction score
Wow, it was HOT before we even got started this morning! I don't think it got much cooler than 70 degrees overnight, and it was HUMID which is unusual for us.

I dragged my three horses (Lark, Mouse, and Kyan) and my two sons along, and was relying on the kindness of friends to help this go smoothly and boost the numbers of minis at the show.

LindaL was there spot on and was a great help (thank you, thank you, Linda, I owe ya), and showed Mouse to a blue in at least one of his classes as did Erin (MooreAcres) in the Solid Geldings class (one I was reluctant to send him into, as he's blotchy right now)! We were showing against full sized horses in most of the classes except the Miniature Horse class, and he did finally get aced out by two beautiful full-size horses (one was a GORGEOUS palomino stallion...wow).

Anyway, we were all sweating and hot and sticky, so glad to get out of show clothes!

We stopped by Daryl's place (Big Dogs & Little Horses) for a literal interpretation of his screen name! He has a pretty home on a hillside and some BIG dogs and wow, that filly! I may sneak up there and filly-nap her and put Bella in her place some night! *LOL*

Then we went to a feed store and decided from there to save a visit to others' in the area for when it was cooler. I regret not being able to get out to the other farms, as there are so many there, but it was just plain uncomfortable and I wanted to get my horses off the trailer asap also my little ones were sticky even though they were game for another go.

Now hopefully the Fair board will add more mini classes and maybe a performance class or two would be nice (at least one in-hand jumping would be nice, too)

Thank you everyone: LindaL, Marie, susanne, Keith, Daryl, Erin, Helen, hopefully I did not forget anyone!

Just glad it was not 105 like was originally predicted!

Liz M.

(Oh, Lotto went to the show, too, but he did not place though I think he got a great consolation award and I will post what pics I have later)

I got to see Susanne after everyone had showed already and she introduced me to Liz. Hi Liz... nice to finally meet you in person. Both your son's are adorable.

We could not get there in time, because Hubby had to have shots given into the joint in his shoulder yesterday afternoon and wasn't doing so hot this morning. Wish I could of seen everyone.

I am hoping next time we can hitch a ride for Theia.. fat and grumpy as she is.

Aw, Shari, sorry your husband was having troubles w/pain that is no good.
default_sad.png

Hope he's feeling better soon.

I was sorry we had to get going but I got to feeling badly about the horses cooped up in the hot trailer and I knew we had at least an hour and a half trip home and the silly ticket sellers never did show up that I saw though again it was darn hot for us all w/the humidity!

Nice to get to meet you, though, hopefully we will get to visit more and I do want to see that cart track!

Liz

Congratulations! You know, I might have felt sad that I was the only one not there but on the other hand I got to spend all day getting paid to stay in a nice, air-conditioned office building! Woohoo! :lol: I'll catch Shari and Erin and Linda someday and hope to see Susanne and Keith again soon. I hope there are pictures?

I had the vet out this afternoon for Kody, he's got a cough and just isn't himself and the vet thinks it's something viral. Poor little guy. You know I've never actually had one get sick before?
default_wacko.png
: Colic, choke, allergic reactions, laminitis, injuries, all the other usual vet calls, but never a cold or virus until now even with all my years of showing. Hopefully with the meds and some rest (go away, heat!) he'll be good to go in three and a half weeks for Lincoln Creek.

Leia

No, thank YOU Liz for letting me show your horses (who are all gorgeous!)...I miss showing sooo much!! Its been about 3 yrs since Ive shown a horse, so it was FUN! :bgrin It was great seeing you (and the boys, who are both so cute...and well-behaved, I might add!!! ) and Susanne, Keith, Erin, Marie and Daryl again...never was formally introduced to Helen, but figured thats who it was.

I wasnt feeling very well (heat related and I have an old shoulder injury that flared up a few days ago) or I would have stayed longer after the show was over.

Hey, Liz, I meant to ask about Lotto, but forgot with everything going on...darn it!

Hope Marie gets on here soon and posts the pic of the group! :bgrin

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I started out the day in a fog. The night before I knew I wouldn't sleep well with the heat so I took a supposedly "clean acting" and non-addicting sleeping pill. Yes I slept, and felt like sleeping up until about noon today.
default_rolleyes.gif
: Won't be using that again for a while...

I thought it was pretty comfortable in the morning. But by noon it was like being trapped in a steam bath. Everyone felt tired and yucky I think.

It was fun to see everyone. Liz had an especially good day with several blue ribbons won. Susanne premiered Flash, who did pretty well considering that he is a young stallion and there were some hot equine babes out there of all sizes. :lol: Funny though, he seemed to get worked up the most with Helen's gelding Jeffy
default_rolleyes.gif
: He was probably more than just a little overwhelmed by the whole event.

Erin and her cousin had a really flashy looking mare named Rosa who really stood out in the ring. Wow! :new_shocked:

Linda, didn't get a chance to talk to you or was too caught up in everything to say Hello, dang it. That's been like two shows now.
default_wacko.png
:

Liz, I totally forgot to take you over to the old 1937 dairy barn where Morgan and Wyatt live. You and the kids would have loved it. Will have to do that next time.

Also had a very special guest horse visit my place and can't wait to see the photos. I hear that he is quite a traveller!!!

Daryl

Okay...I'm finally starting to come out of my stupor after that heat (it's still horribly hot and muggy, but I have the AC going like the wimp that I am...)

Liz, I'm SO glad you made it! I don't know how you handled three horses and two little boys -- I was done in by just two horses. I think I need to take organization lessons from you!

I had so much fun with Brandon and Colton...tell Brandon that we'll get to ride the Ferris Wheel another time...perhaps at the Oregon State Fair. They are such great sports about hanging around the show ring, despite the heat. I always tell my friends that I have a very important role in their children's lives -- I'm their oddmother!

Mouse was absolutely stunning, and I think this judge had little patience for antsy fillies and hormonal colts, because Lark and Kyan were also gorgeous.

I'm off to write up my acount of the day...if I can remember anything through the fog...

I just wanted to let you know that the pictures were posted on a separate topic. Only because I wanted everyone who had already looked at this one to find them.

What a great turnout and show we had.

Well I don't have any pictures of my own, but I just wanted to say how much fun I had anyways!

My cousin, Krystan, and I only had a week to get Rosa (MAI Sweet Rosa) into show shape. She got three baths in that short time to get that white coat CLEAN. I wasn't totally convinced how sparkling white she was until I pulled her sheet off at the fairgrounds. As Marie said in her post, she was almost blinding. Krystan has never shown, or really even been around horses before now, so I told her that Rosa was her project for this show. I'd help her practice and work Rosa, but it was all her and Rosa once she stepped into that ring.

First class: Halter Color Mares...3rd place out of 5 or 6 other horses. Rosa was the only mini in that class. The 1st place ribbon went to a GOREGOUS Appaloosa mare. *Sigh*

Second class: Pleasure Type Mares...1st place out of 2 horses. Liz McMasters yearling filly, Lark, was the only other horse competing in that class.

Third class: Miniature Horses...2nd place out of 6 horses.

I am very happy with how Rosa did. The last time she was in the ring was 4 years ago as a 2 year old. She won a 2nd (out of 4 in the mini class) and 4th (against 10 big horse mares in color mares) that year.

As Liz mentioned in her post, Mouse and I got a BLUE! It was my first blue ribbon that I've ever won and I was so happy to have won it with him. Even though he can be a major pain in the rear, I just adore him.
default_wub.png
: And to think, Liz wasn't even going to take him in the ring for that class. She commented on how "crappy" he looked with his blotchy clipped coat, but apparently that didn't matter to the judge!!! :bgrin I'd show him for you anyday Liz. Thanks for the opportunity! Congrads to you and your horses on your wins.

Susanne, you should be so proud of Flash. He did awesome for you for just being 2 years old and a young stallion coming into his own. Don't worry, I didn't tell Chip about Flash trying to breed his woman (aka Rosa)
default_wink.png
: . Mingus looked superior as always. That noble, "I'm the center of attention" look that he always gets. Congrads to you on all your ribbons!

Linda, it was great seeing you again and I wish we could have visited a bit more. I now know who to call if I ever need some help at a show. :bgrin

Daryl, good seeing you again too. Hope one day you'll make it too a show with your gals even if you don't show them, someone else always could. I just think they'd do very well in the ring.
default_yes.gif
:

And to Helen, but I don't think she ever reads this, Jeffy is just a doll and so sweet. He showed great for you even against all the younger competition. Although I don't know, Flash seemed to think he was pretty hot for an old guy
default_wink.png
:
default_wub.png
:

And last but not least, THANK YOU Marie! Thanks for hauling and putting up with all out sh*t. :bgrin

Erin

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back