Colton Joseph is here

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mydaddysjag

Reaction score
Since I was 41 weeks, and already had some health issues, my doctors decided that it would be best to induce me yesterday. I went in at 5am, and they checked me. I was dialated to a 2, and effaced 80%. They started my pitocin, and broke my water at 6am. It took two different doctors to get my water broken, and when they finally did, it was just a very "mild" slow leak. My contractions started, and as planned I labored naturally. That lasted for a few hours, then we decided I needed something for pain. I just couldn't handle the Pitocin contractions with the breathing and coping techniques I learned in class. Somewhere around this time, my blood pressure started climbing rapidly, so they did some blood work and sent off a urine specimine to check for E-Clampsia (not sure of the spelling) Luckily, everything came back fine, and although my blood pressure was getting out of hand, all of Coltons stats stayed perfect. They gave me staydol through my IV, which seemed to knock the edge off for about 45 minutes, then contractions were back full force. It was too soon for more Staydol, and I was only dialated to about a 5. At this point, I decided to go ahead with the epidural. We had planned to go without an Epidural as long as possible, and I simply couldn't go without it anymore. Hubby actually cracked a joke about it because I was very opposed to the idea of an epidural through my entire pregnancy. My epidural worked for a few hours, so I was able to get some sleep. That was great, since I hadn't got any sleep the night before.

The epidural finally let up, and I could feel my contractions full force again. Not something we wanted, since I still had a long way to go. The doctors couldn't figure out why my epidural stopped working, but my contractions were so bad I couldn't breath through them, and my whole body was shaking. They gave me a Bolus to try to stop the pain, since my epidural wasn't working correctly. This only worked for about an hour and a half, then the same thing happened again. They called anesthesia to give me another Bolus. Despite the Bolus's, my contractions were still strong, and under a minute apart, but then slowed down, and decreased in intensity for a few hours. I got dialated up to a 9, 90% effaced, and then stopped. After a few hours of no progress (about 13 hours in labor), the doctor said If I didn't make any progress within an hour, we would need to make a decision. My husband and I had my mom leave the room, and we talked about what would be the best for the Baby, and myself. At this point, I was exhausted. During my contractions, I didnt even have the strength to squeeze my labor ball or husbands hand, there was no way I was going to be able to push the baby out. We both cried because I was scared to death of a C section, but decided that If no progress was made in an hour, we would need to do the C section. An hour of more excruciating labor went by, and the doctor came back in to check me. All of a sudden I was being prepped for a C section, and run down the hallway. My mom was going to go in for the C section with me, because my husband was having a very hard time, and we dont think he could have handled it. They gave my mom her scrubs to get changed in to, and told her that they would be back to get her as soon as I was prepped for surgery.

They got me into the Operating room, where there seemed to be 15 people waiting for me, got me moved onto the table, and started my spinal.

For some reason, two different Anesthesiologists (spelling?) couldn't get my spinal to take. I could still feel everything, even after trying to redo the spinal a few times. I had to be put under General Anesthesia for my C section.

The next thing I remember is my mom saying "Don't worry, the baby is healthy and fine, Brian is holding him in the nursery" and that "he is beautiful and 8lbs 5 oz and 22" long." A the time I didnt know what was going on, I woke up in a different room, and my mom was in it for a second, then POOF gone like a dream. Now I know that since I was in recovery and awake, and my mom was in scrubs, the nurse snuck her in to reassure me that the baby was alright, since I was upset and kept asking for him.

I'm still in the hospital, and actually getting ready to breastfeed my little guy, so I'll post pictures later

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh gosh you poor thing! It sounds like you were quite the trooper through it all though. I'm so happy to hear that you and your little boy are healthy. CONGRATS!!!! I can't wait to see pictures!

Congrats! Sorry you had such a time of having him. But, babies are so fun. and when you get frazzled with everything remember. It doesn't last long at all. They grow so fast. It wasn't long ago Jessie was pushing herself around in the walker and now she turns 13 in August. They grow so fast.

Oh honey, I'm so sorry you went through so much pain! But I'm happy your lil guy is born! Hope you heal up soon! CONGRATS on your son!

Glad everything has turned out well, and Congratulations on your new baby boy!!!

Congratulations!!!
default_aktion033.gif
What a story you will have to tell him when he is older...
default_new_shocked.gif

Happy Birthday Colton!!!

default_wub.png
default_wub.png

Ahhh sounds exactly like my first labor 10 hours dialated at 9 and nothing..

Anyway I have been waiting to hear an update from you and am so excited for you and so glad all went well.

I can not wait to see pics

CONGRATS ON BEING A NEW MOM!!!!

I tell you, I'm exhausted just reading about this!

CONGRATULATIONS on your new baby boy! I can't wait to see photos.

I'm so sorry you had to go through so much to have your baby! I can't even imagine after my deliveries being so easy. I'm sure your son is worth all of it!! Can't wait for pictures!!! Congratulations!!!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

You are ONE TOUGH COOKIE! Congrats on your new son....Give him a big kiss from all of us on LB!
default_wub.png

Just a quick update with some pictures.

Im still having quite a bit of pain at my incision site, but it looks to be healing well now. They are giving me some medication for pain, and another for inflammation. The inflamation medication actually works better for me than the pain medication, but Im glad that they found something that somewhat works. My lungs sound clear now, whereas I did have a little fluid in them because I aspirated vomit in my oxygen mask while being prepped in the OR. I just have to use a respiratory machine. I have no clue what its called. I've been fever free for 12 hours, and had my Iv's and catheter removed. Now it's just me having trouble getting up off of chairs, out of bed, cant bend over or reach my feet and I cant lift much. Actually, they said nothing heavier than Colton, which is fine, because hes the only thing I wanna lift.
default_wub.png

Colton is doing great. The only slight issue he had was that he had a cone head, a smooshed face, and a line down his forehead from being stuck that long while I was dialated. Everything has worked its self out, and he is the sweetest thing Ive ever seen, He has chubby kissable cheeks, and has very obvious traits of mommy and daddy. He has mommys hair, mommys eyes, daddys forehead, mommys nose, daddys lips, mommys cheeks and daddys chin.

I only have pictures from right after his birth with me, I have the newer ones on the camera that my husband accidentially took home. Thank goodness for grandma adding hers to a picture trail album for me.

388950132.jpg

Daddy loving Colton while Mommy was recovering and waking up.

388950158.jpg

Mommy, Daddy, and Colton. I cant even remember taking this picture.

388950110.jpg

Colton, Grandma (my mom) and Mommy.

I'll post some more in the morning, Im falling asleep on my computer.

MANY MANY CONGRATULATIONS!! The pictures are beautiful
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

Get as much rest as you can - you surely deserve it
default_yes.gif

Welcome to the world little Colton Joseph
default_saludando.gif

Anna

Congratulations. Very cute wee guy. I love his name.

Sounds like you had a tough time. I didn't want to say anything before but I had a very similar experience with my first. Vomitting on the table in the OR, Spinal not taking and feeling it, ended up needing a GA half way though. It is very frightening to wake up in another room an no baby there. also felt like Carl had bonded with Lukas more than I had as he had spent the first few hours with him while I was in recovery and not had a chance to do skin to skin like which in our classes they kept saying was so important. Not the case, but with all those hormones racing round some times I was a bit irrational.

With your wound site keep an eye on it and make sure they don't leave dressings on after your showers. my first one was okay - have a thread and bead to close, second time was hidious as was stapled. If it is at all painful (like more so than just the usual pain) get them to check it I ended up with an infection the second time because they left waterproof dressings on it. I was so bad I couldn't get out of bed. Not much fun with a newborn and a 15 month old.

Enjoy Colton - before you know it he will be all grown up.

Sounds like you did an awesome job in spite of everything that was thrown at you
default_aktion033.gif
Congratulations on Colton! My love goes out to you and can't wait for pics!

Just saw pics and he is amazing! Congrats again
default_wub.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on your beautiful baby boy! Sorry you had to go through so much. I hope you recover quickly and can enjoy your little Colton pain free very soon. I bet your mom is just thrilled to be a grandma.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back