Colt with crypt testicle

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW! At that price I think I would wait until Fall and see if he drops during the summer. He just turned two and still has time to drop. I usually give the boys until they are three, if they haven't dropped by then, chance are they won't. I wouldn't rush into it, especially at that price.

I had one mini gelded at age 5, cost me $150 including the vet visit. My friend had a crypt colt(full size horse) and cost her $650. I would look around if I was you, may be cheaper to ship him a state over to geld.
default_wink.png
I know i wouldn't pay that much to geld a crypt colt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nathan, Jenifer(Millstone),and others are right; essentially, the 'further away' it is, the more it may cost to 'go after it' and properly remove it.

That said, I think that sounds mighty pricey! I had a full cryptorchid(neither EVER in evidence)done, at about 1 1/2 years of age(he was a SCREAMING IDIOT, apparently not unusual when the testicles are fully retained-so I wasn't waiting to see what might happen....) This was over 10 years ago, and cost then was around $500(his weren't far 'above' where they should have been, thankfully!) More recently(@ 3 years ago), I had a monorchid(one retained)-waited until a full age three, was quoted between $250 and @ $900, depending on how 'far up'(and hard to retrieve) it was...luckily, it wasn't far; cost was just under $300, complete. Since prices do seem to be higher in the NE, perhaps the quote you got WAS a 'worst, worst case' scenario---but I'd surely be checking around! Has the horse ever been sedated and the missing parts seached for? Is he a full crypt, or a mono? That could make a difference.

Good luck, no matter what!

Margo

Try Mass Equine mass equine

I had one done there a few yrs ago and it was $600 and I know they have gone up but better then $2400. Also they were very good with him, give call and get price, good luck..JANE

If you have a vet school near, try looking at the larger state colleges, they will usually do this for about 1/2 the cost of a regular vet.

Not always! I worked FOR a vet hospital (state, land grant school) and I didn't get a penny under regional going rate. In fact it was a little higher than an indepentant vet because they could charge more and people paid.

Thank for all the feedback I will look around. This my first experience with this kind of thing. I appreciate the help from everyone. This board is a great place to learn about theses wonderful little equines first hand.

Best of luck to all for a healthy happy foaling and show season. Keep the pictures and the stories coming it's the best! Especially the foals.

We had the surgery done about four years ago. We paid $2000. This is major surgery and the horse is put under and operated on. They give you the worst case price and hopefully it will be less...ours was the full worst case fee. Most vet clinics do not have the equipment for this type of surgery. We took our horse from southern Virginia to North Carolina to be done. He stayed a few days at the vet and then at a friends's nearby farm for a few more weeks until he could be transported back to our farm. It is really hard on them to heal.

Last edited by a moderator:
If any one has ever had a colt with a crypt testicle does 2400.00 seem right for the cost of gelding him? I know what has to happen for him to be gelded but does that seem a little high in cost?

Thanks
I had two with crypt testicles gelded this year and the price was 150.00 and 90.00

In the New England area it can be VERY expensive. It sounds like a price quoted from Tufts. There are many other well qualified vets that are much more reasonable in the area. I have heard prices from $1500 to $2500 to be the norm for a crypt in the area but it does depend on where you go. Heather and Jane have given you a good start. You could also try Dover. Linda

someone paid $550 for one that was in the ring??
default_new_shocked.gif
The last one I had done had one up in the ring, high enough that it wouldn't have come down on its own (2 year old)--we didn't know where it might be but the vet put the horse under, made an incision & fished around & "got it!". Cost was $60 plus my gas to haul this colt & one other one to the clinic an hour away.

The local vets would have said this colt was a crypt & that I should take him to a hospital for actual surgery.

I haven't had to geld a true crypt--on the few I've had that were "late" in showing up I waited them out & eventually all did show up so were just regular gelding procedures. However, a friend had to have surgery done on a full size QH yearling about 3 years back, he had one retained but not real high up. Cost was just over $300.

Your vet sounds way out of line, even for the East Coast!! My vet charged me a little over $750 to geld a 3 year old that did not have any decended testicles, 1 1/2 years ago. For a horse with both testicles down the cost is about $150, and that includes farm call. I paid $250 for an older stallion who stayed overnight at the vets as they wanted to watch for bleeding since the older ones can bleed more.

Not always! I worked FOR a vet hospital (state, land grant school) and I didn't get a penny under regional going rate. In fact it was a little higher than an indepentant vet because they could charge more and people paid.
I think I remember what state you used to live in and where you worked. I called them to spay my dog 10 years ago, and they were $20 more than her regular vet, plus they were a 20 mile drive, her regular vet was 5 blocks from my house.

My POA colt only had one down. Vet sedated him and still couldn't find it. Quoted me "$1200 and up" depending on where it was in him.

I thought it couldn't hurt to call around... another vet said the same quote. But I thought I'd try one more, and they said $400-600! I made the apt
default_smile.png
As of two weeks ago, he is now a gelding! And I lucked out, it was easy to find/get to, and only cost $330 which included pulling his wolf teeth and buying 100 tabs of antibiotic (he didn't need that many, but now I have more on hand since I was really low on them)

Jessi

Well, good luck, my experience was one that was not TOO bad and it still cost me $1800+. Having a crypt is just one huge bummer, and that is for sure.

Latest posts

Back