Colour Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atara

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I don't post but I actively follow the forum! Now has come a time though were I could use some of you colour experts out there... this is our new colt born on June 14. I'm wondering what colour he is going to be? Both parents are grey, and greyed out very quickly, the sire as a yearling was mostly white, and dam is three and completely greyed out (I know she is young... I didn't breed her)

To me it looks like he is just a early greying foal... but most reading you do on horse colour they are born a darker "base" colour when they are born, and then grey out slowly or quickly. He looks grey already! Is he just an early grey foal or do you think he will be a different colour? Thanks... sorry if the pictures are to big!

Heather

Orion3.jpg

Orion5.jpg

Looks like your new mom did an EXCELLENT job! Congrats!

MA

He could be a "Silver White" (Silver gene x gray)....if either of the parents carry Silver & threw that to the colt, as well as the "graying" gene.
default_yes.gif
:

Silver Whites are often born already grayed out (white) or turn white very rapidly...usually when the foal coat sheds.

You colt appears to be the typical coloring of a Silver Dapple. Whether it grays out or not, remains to be seen. Is his hair white under the gray coloring?

Last edited by a moderator:
since both parents are gray, i'd guess he is too. horses gray at different times, different speeds. some are born nearly all white, some born pitch black abd grow up to be grey or almost white. he is just farther along in the graying proccess than others.

whatever he is, he is just adorable!!!!
default_wub.png
:
default_yes.gif
:
default_wub.png

At the moment your colt is Silver Black.

He may go Grey BUT IME foals that carry both Silver and Grey are born near white.

This is why a lot of the Egyptian King line are that colour from birth.

[SIZE=10pt]Congratulations on your foal! I cant help you with his color - but he is very pretty!![/SIZE]

Lori

Pretty baby and pretty momma too!

Here is a colt I had born one year. His dam is gray. He was very silvery at birth. When I clipped him at less than two months old, he clipped off all white. He had pink skin too with some freakles around his eyes, nose and genitals. He also had several round black spots here and then on his body but no black hair. In fact Dona you might remember him as I sent you photos of this? As he got older still a weanling, his freakles got bigger around his eyes and nose, growing together and so did his body spots so before he was one year old his skin was then black, his muzzle and around his eyes. He was white all that first year but you could see gray coming in, or turning that is.

Maxhd37-1.jpg

As a yearling.

stunningshowshot.jpg

Pretty baby and pretty momma too!

Here is a colt I had born one year. His dam is gray. He was very silvery at birth. When I clipped him at less than two months old, he clipped off all white. He had pink skin too with some freakles around his eyes, nose and genitals. He also had several round black spots here and then on his body but no black hair. In fact Dona you might remember him as I sent you photos of this? As he got older still a weanling, his freakles got bigger around his eyes and nose, growing together and so did his body spots so before he was one year old his skin was then black, his muzzle and around his eyes. He was white all that first year but you could see gray coming in, or turning that is.

Maxhd37-1.jpg

As a yearling.

stunningshowshot.jpg

I DO vaugely remember him......but can't remember any other info. Is his dam a "true gray" (fading) or a Silver Dapple? What color is his sire? Any appy or Sabino in background that might explain the "freckling"?

He looks like a very lovely Silver Black now.
default_yes.gif
: but, wonder if there isn't something else going on to make him so light for so long. Creme maybe?

Thanks for all the responses! Mizbeth the hair at the base is white, but his skin is black. His colour does look really similar to your colt! It's so interesting though... I haven't really seen a lot of foals this colour! I'm excited to see what colour he is in a couple months, and in a year!

I will keep everyone posted as his colour progresses!

Thanks a lot, and any more opinions are welcome, it's all so confusing!

Heather

IMO, your colt definitely looks to be a silver, and he will undoubtably turn gray fairly quickly.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back