Colour question?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnnaC

Reaction score
Thought you might like to cast a guess at what colour my little colt will be at maturity!

Here's Daddy (Dumpling!) a red dun.

June11104.jpg

June11102.jpg

Colt with Mum at a few days old.

June11093.jpg

June11085.jpg

Sorry, has to be next post for colt pics as he is today! Hang in there please.
default_yes.gif

To continue........

Close up of his coat a month ago.

December11068.jpg

December11069.jpg

And him today in the pouring rain!

December11084.jpg

We are thinking he will turn out like his Momma in the end?? Your ideas please.
default_yes.gif

I do not know much about appies but your mare looks to be a silver buckskin and the colt looks to be plain sorrel . I'm willing to bed when he sheds out or is clipped his sorrel color will come back and will probably have more rump spots. Just a guess though, hopefully someone with more appy experience can chime in!
default_saludando.gif

I do not know much about appies but your mare looks to be a silver buckskin and the colt looks to be plain sorrel . I'm willing to bed when he sheds out or is clipped his sorrel color will come back and will probably have more rump spots. Just a guess though, hopefully someone with more appy experience can chime in!
default_saludando.gif
I'd agree that the colt looks like a chestnut/sorrel appaloosa.

Not sure about mare's colour though as the appie can make a lot of colours do weird things! Do you know what she is Anna?

I say chestnut appaloosa. Appy can skew colors a bit. I was thinking maybe silver bay, but after looking at pictures of my own chestnut appaloosas, that's what i'm going with
default_smile.png

Bree, Spotted Mummy has a spotted sire (an Orion g/son) and I believe a chestnut dam. Mummy's last three foals were all by my Falabella stallion and not the red dun sire of this colt, but she had a bay with a full blanket (changed to looking the image of her), a grey/black pinto (who then also spotted out on her white areas to look exactly like Orion in colouring), and a plain bay (who stayed a bay). In other words she throws quite a mixture!!

I can not speak as to what your horses will do as far as coloring. My Silver Dapple Stallion just got snow flake spots this year past year and he was 4 years old.

001-6.jpg

His mother at age 7 did this.

003-4.jpg

and this

tn1.jpg

her face was solid color until last summer as seen here

missy-1.jpg

You just never know with Appies.

Thank you for your suggestions my friends, it's really interesting what appy can do to some coat colours! (a perfect, if suprising, example Katiean!)

The half brother to my colt had changed from his bay with blanket colour to the same 'colour' as his Momma by the time he was 6 months, whereas this little man simply has what looks like a complete 'grey' undercoat all over, in fact a lot of his hairs are growing out grey so they are grey with chestnut tips. He still has his distinctive white spots in amongst the greying coat on his quarters though.

Never had one with this sort of colouring before so just interested in your suggestions/experiences.
default_yes.gif

whereas this little man simply has what looks like a complete 'grey' undercoat all over, in fact a lot of his hairs are growing out grey so they are grey with chestnut tips.
Could he have silver? My silver bay dun has gold tipped gray hair. She looks golden in natural coat, but clipped is silvery white/grey in color.

Ok, so these aren't quality pictures, but they do show the clipped and natural coat coloring, decently.

Tana - April 4, 2006 - collage.jpg

when I clip my sorrel mare, she is still sorrel underneath, just a lighter color.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back