Colour help please.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnnaC

Reaction score
Colt foal, approx 2 months old, born chestnut with spots on hind quarters and strong eel stripe. Dam appy, sire red dun - but 3 years ago at the age of 8, sire's summer coat 'covered' with white hairs within his 'chestnut' coat, not on his face, he has no white markings.

Around 3 weeks old the foal did the usual - lost fuzzy hair on his face and developed chocolate looking colour round his muzzle and eyes. At 6 weeks he also had dark lower legs, but now at approx 2 months he has white hairs throughout the dark areas on his face and deep 'grey' hair replacing his light chestnut forelock and mane!

Hope you can see what I mean from the pics below - not easy to get them as he always wants to climb into the camera!!

October11060.jpg

October11056.jpg

October11057.jpg

So any ideas as to his future colour? Thanks for looking.
default_yes.gif

he looks red dun to me , they can go very dark with the first shed then lighten up again , I have one very similar , what colour and size are the spots ? that could be appy but sabino can also produce faint spots and white hairs sprinkled through the coat , you also didnt say what base colour mum is , appy is her pattern -not her colour
smile.gif

Anna go to my foals 2011 facebook album and look at Lily - see if she is the same colour as she changes - born chestnut and at 5 months is now very dark all over

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry Sue, I dont do facebook, but did go for a peek at your Lily on your website - think she was a bit lighter in colour as a baby than my colt. Also am no good with base colours of Appy's (usless with colours anyway!) so here is a pic of Momma and colt when he was 3 or 4 days old - Momma's sire was Little Americas Little Tex Hussler and her dam was a chestnut British Shetland, if that helps at all!

June11093.jpg

and one of the colt's botty when he was born.

June11085.jpg

Plus, so far for us, this mare has produced (all these by my Falabella boy, not the red dun sire of this colt) a well marked pintaloosa filly, a spotted colt (born bay blanket, now the image of his dam) and a completely bay filly!

Colours are just so fascinating! LOL!!

Tex was a Bay base.

Foal is Red base Appy + (probably) Splash and (probably) Sabino.

The confusion is caused by the Appy- it can mess with your brain, let alone the colours of your horse!!!
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back