Colour 'experts'

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicole-DownUnder

Reaction score
Just by looking at this pic, can someone be able to give me some idea of what colour this mare could be.

I'm not really sure, but this year she seems a lot darker chestnut than she has been in the past. This year she is 10 years old. Sire: registered chestnut taffy, but he's thought to be a silver dapple bay........Dam: dun. I know for a fact she ISN'T a dun!!

Thanks

Nicole

LOL, it'd help if I posted a pic
yes.gif
!!

Here she is.......

DCP_0260.jpg

Nicole

definately silver bay in my book. see the silver mane and silvery legs??

kaykay said:
definately silver bay in my book.  see the silver mane and silvery legs??
498174[/snapback]

No I don´t, silver bay has black legs, when clipped silver, these manes are yellow not white, no bay muzzle, just chestnut.

She is kinda shaded in that picture, so it is had to tell. Does she have any darker hairs in her lower leg area, closer to her hooves? Her muzzle fits the silver bay look.. She appears a richer red than my silver bay, but my picture is also lighter. I am posting a picture of my her for your reference.
Mvc-013f.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone. One thing I forgot to mention, she has white hairs throughout her coat, as well as silvery cream hairs on the back of her legs and around her coronet band. Also she has a lighter muzzle, but i'm sure that can be normal in plain chestnuts.

One thing that makes me think she may not just be a chestnut, besides her sire being a silver dapple bay, is that one of her foals a few years ago was born a dark chestnut with his mane and tail going a cream colour quite quickly. Now this colt did grey out, as his sire was grey, but it happened much quicker than the normal greying process.

Just a thought and again I thank you for your opinions.

Nicole

Princess.jpg

silouhette097.jpg

This is my "pretends to be" "Silver Bay". She is a dark Red Dun

+ Sooty + Flaxen.She has NO Silver in her at all. Looks can

be deceiving.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back