Color results

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonloubri

Reaction score
I sent in to find out what is the correct color for my filly. I called before I sent in the samples to find out what to test for in order to find out if she is perlino and was told to test for black/red and agouti.

The results are:

RFactor Ee

Agouti aa

Can someone tell me what this means as I still don't know what color she is.

20100918Patti2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
She has one copy of black, and no copies of agouti, so that makes her "smokey cream" (two cream genes on black). She can have smokey black,and palomino foals for you; and buckskin if the stallion provides the agouti gene. [The stallion could also add dun, silver, and whatever else he may carry, so she can produce just about any single cream dilute possible, depending on the stallion.]

Where's the picture?

Sorry, the only pictures I have are from when she was foaled. I will try to get a couple tonight or in the morning and add them to the post. She is what I would call a cream color with blue eyes. Her grand sire is Little Kings B T Buck Bandito and I believe he carries the creme gene and I found out her grand dam is registered as a cremello. I am trying to figure out what color to put on her registration papers.

Sorry, the only pictures I have are from when she was foaled. I will try to get a couple tonight or in the morning and add them to the post. She is what I would call a cream color with blue eyes. Her grand sire is Little Kings B T Buck Bandito and I believe he carries the creme gene and I found out her grand dam is registered as a cremello. I am trying to figure out what color to put on her registration papers.
You may have no other choice but to put perlino or cremello, depending on the registry, as I'm not sure "smokey cream" is even on the list of color options; while neither would completely correct, I would say perlino is more correct, as at least its black-based.

You may have no other choice but to put perlino or cremello, depending on the registry, as I'm not sure "smokey cream" is even on the list of color options; while neither would completely correct, I would say perlino is more correct, as at least its black-based.
I agree. try to put in the real color, and expect a "correction".

at least you know that if you want a buckskin baby, you will need to breed to a bay or buckskin.

I'd be careful about breeding her to a black-based horse, unless you want an off-black baby.

Doesn't perlino carry agouti? She would have to be cremello, and Ee is red and black. Cremello has blue eyes always, don't know about perlino.

Here is one of my reliable webpages for color. http://www.mustangs4...uble_cremes.htm Perlino is a double dilute bay, or rather a dilute buckskin, carrying agouti. Cremello is a double dilute red based horse. Both have blue eyes, and Smokey Cream is black based. I just confused myself, need to go read some more lol.

Okay, all the calculators state the horse is smokey cream, Chandab was right.

Here is one of my reliable webpages for color. http://www.mustangs4...uble_cremes.htm Perlino is a double dilute bay, or rather a dilute buckskin, carrying agouti. Cremello is a double dilute red based horse. Both have blue eyes, and Smokey Cream is black based. I just confused myself, need to go read some more lol.

Okay, all the calculators state the horse is smokey cream, Chandab was right.
Yes, another edit. Why do the registries update their color allowances to reflect the new genetic tests that are now available. Would too many owners start changing registration certificates? Seems that would be a good new niche for the registries to bring in more moneylol.

very interesting! what I'd like to know.. is what colored horses were bred to produce these, like for example.. I just bought a cremello stallion.. and..what if he's not cremello what if he's a perlino or smokey cream??

I assume it's easy enough to tell when you know what color his sire and dam were..right? ugg..color genetics are soo confusing but so interesting!!

No, unfortunately, unless the sire and dam are tested, it is still impossible to tell. The best thing is to test the horse you own!

CCC

what I'd like to know.. is what colored horses were bred to produce these
It is like a box of chocolates.

Her sire is registered as black:

P9180010.jpg

Her dam is registered as dark grey

PA070012.jpg

rabbitsfizz

I have not tested the sire or dam only this foal.

Her sire and dam are both smokey black which is at least one copy of black, no agouti, and one copy of cream. At least one of them has to be heterozygous for black since your girl is heterozygous black.

Latest posts

Back