Color question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well her eyes are a lighter amber color than brown. And I remember Angie Sauer , (Buck On Ranch--previous owner) saying she has had foals with lighter amber eyes in the past.

I think mostly for her she had black foals and an occasional buckskin but was usually bred to BOB
As far as I know, BOB is a solid black, so if she produced a buckskin from him then she would have to carry the cream gene. The amber eyes could be an indicator too.
I thought BOB was a Smokey Black, but I could be wrong. I may be thinking of Black Velvet.

She had a buckskin foal when bred to BOB? That would have to mean she carries the agouti gene too. Maybe she is liver chestnut then because she certainly does not look silver bay. She is a very interesting case! In that picture her color reminds me of my late stallion whom I am certain was a black silver or possibly smoky black silver:

173850571.jpg

Here's one of his foals out of a black silver mare. As you can see she had a darker colored mane and tail as a foal and her dam has the white mane and tail:

62404331.jpg

In this picture you see the above filly as a yearling and you can see how her mane has a lot of darker hairs like her sire's. The colt she is sniffing is by the same stallion so you can see that he has to be black based not liver chestnut to produce a black foal out of a red mare.

102871800.jpg

Silvers come in such a wonderful variety of shades!
default_yes.gif

Just to be clear, the only buckskin this mare produced was when she was bred to a buckskin. She was bred to Jandt's Grand Fanta Czar who is a buckskin and produced a buckskin. When bred to Bob she produced 2 blacks and one that was registered as a chestnut.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since she had a buckskin when bred to a buckskin, I will go with black silver or smoky black silver for her then.

Since she had a buckskin when bred to a buckskin, I will go with black silver or smoky black silver for her then.

Why? Just curious. A liver chestnut -or plain chestnut, for that matter- bred to a buckskin, is very likely to have a buckskin foal.

http://www.animalgenetics.us/CCalculator1.asp
I know that a liver chestnut can have a buckskin when bred to a buckskin but she looks like a black silver to me to begin with. The only reason I said she must be a liver chestnut in a previous post is because I thought she'd had a buckskin foal when bred to BOB, a black.
default_biggrin.png

yes, so sorry for messing everyone up. She had a buckskin bred to a buckskin.

Now throwing a little more information in the mix---Angie emailed me and said she was told by the previous owner that Spunk's dam was white with blue eyes----cremello or perlino I would think?

yes, so sorry for messing everyone up. She had a buckskin bred to a buckskin.

Now throwing a little more information in the mix---Angie emailed me and said she was told by the previous owner that Spunk's dam was white with blue eyes----cremello or perlino I would think?
If one parent was a double dilute, she CANNOT be a Liver Chestnut, she would be a Palomino or Buckskin. More evidence supporting a Smokey Silver Black.
default_yes.gif

Well here is Angie Sauer's list of Spunk foals and their sires--

does this help anyone?

I guess I didn't realize smokey black would be a brownish body--figured more lighter black but still black.

thanks for all the help everyone-

From Angie--

Dustbuster 93 colt buckskin, shadow SIRE

95 sheza a nightmare liver chestnut Dell teras Midas touch SIRE

Darktacular Speedo 97 colt weird color... Palimino or silver buckskin?

SHADOW SIRE

Buck Ons Dangerous curves black BOB

Buck ons captain hook spunks color BOB

THIS IS HIS FOAL AND HIS THREE YEAR OLD PICTURE.. I LOVED THIS HORSE. HIS

EYES WERE KINDA GREY AS A FOAL

HE DIDNT CHANGE MUCH DID HE??

Buck ons fatal attraction black BOB

Cindy Lou who.. Buckskin, czara

I may have missed some.. I don't have amhr..STUD BOOK.. She was not

hardshipped until 5 and she started having foals at 2!!!!! Her dam is

Misty Pines Snowflake 18463P is anyone has the amhr stud book...she was

registered unknown dam and I could not get it changed once I found out who

she was.. Her sire is High hopes Medicine Man.. He is a black with 5 socks.

She looks just like our liver chestnut mare, Trisha

Trisha_lft.jpg

Ok, now I am confussed LOL! I thought my mare was simply a silver. Some of these examples have really got me thinking though. i think for the most part she looks like the first mare the most.

Do you think she may have cream as well?

The first one is her soaking wet.. The next two are in full winter fuzzies and heavily in foal..

100_0549.jpg

PC270031-1.jpg

P4200173.jpg

Woops, should have seen that-lol

He is a very close color to Spunk-I think-

tell him I'm sorry for doubting his masculinity-you know men can be so sensitive!lol

default_biggrin.png

I think you are getting confused between smoky black and smoky black silver. Smoky black is a black horse with one copy of the cream gene. It is not necessarily any different looking than a regular black horse. Smoky black silver is a black horse with a copy of the cream gene plus at least one copy of the silver gene. It will look like a silver dapple/black silver but often the mane and tail especially are not diluted quite as much. They aren't quite white like a regular black silver. I'm not sure the darker mane and tail mean it has to have cream but it can point to that. I would think your mare is the second option smoky black silver not regular smoky black. If you want to know for sure you could get her tested for red factor, silver, and cream.

I'm a big BOB fan, and although he had been speculated to be a smoky black, I have never seen him throw a dilute from a non-dilute mare. Although he has had a couple buckskin babies, it's not 50% of his foal crop so I sort of doubt it.

I would venture a guess that your mare is a smokey silver black. Test her for the creme gene, the silver gene, and the chestnut(red) gene. I think she's heterozygous for red, and has one cream and silver gene!

I really like the mare, her foal "Buck Ons Captain Hook" was one of my favorite babies! I would guess he got a silver and cream gene from his mom ;)

Please get her tested and tell us the results!

Andrea

PaulaR, did you see the photos of my gelding I posted? He looks a lot like your mare and is silver black, NO cream, tested. So it is possible your mare has cream, and it's possible she doesn't! If neither parent does, she does not. If a parent does, you can test her for $25 to know ;)

Jessi

Latest posts

Back