Color Question,

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharon J

Reaction score
How soon can you tell if a foal is going to be roan? Does anyone have pics? Our colt is only 1 month but I'd like to know what to look for
default_rolleyes.gif
: . Also, have any of you ever seen a silver roan? Is that color possibe?
default_wacko.png
: Thanks in advance
default_yes.gif
: The more pictures the better! The foal in question is in my avatar.

Roans are born roan you can tell at birth. However to find this out you might have to part the hair to look or clip a spot. However if they are going to be gray they may take longer to show it.

I know he is not going to be grey. His dam is a silver dapple pinto and his sire is a black/blue roan. No grey at all. The sire is out of a black and white overo and his dam is blue roan. The dam of this colt is out of a sorell pinto sire and a black and white pinto dam. Has anyone ever had a silver roan?

I have a silver roan. It's a pretty wild color. She has a very silver body (kind of bluish gray in the winter, very silver blue in the summer) flaxen mane/tail, and diluted leg markings, but a very dark mask. She's registered as a silver dapple, because at birth, I really thought she was. The leg markings didn't become apparent until much later, and I don't know for sure, but I don't think silver roan is recognized anyway.

This is a picture of her as a foal

Genny10.jpg

I don't have any really recent pics. If it's not raining tomorrow I'll go out and get a few. Her summer color is pretty much the same as what you see in the above foal pic though, except for smokey dark shading on the legs.

Forgot to add: Mom is a silver bay, and dad is a true, blue roan

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a silver roan. It's a pretty wild color. She has a very silver body (kind of bluish gray in the winter, very silver blue in the summer) flaxen mane/tail, and diluted leg markings, but a very dark mask. She's registered as a silver dapple, because at birth, I really thought she was. The leg markings didn't become apparent until much later, and I don't know for sure, but I don't think silver roan is recognized anyway.

This is a picture of her as a foal

Genny10.jpg

I don't have any really recent pics. If it's not raining tomorrow I'll go out and get a few. Her summer color is pretty much the same as what you see in the above foal pic though, except for smokey dark shading on the legs.

Forgot to add: Mom is a silver bay, and dad is a true, blue roan
As Ashley said, a true roan is born roan....or roan coloring is evident upon foal shed or first clipping.

My Baylee was born looking straight bay. I even parted her hair to see if I could see any evidence of roaning...and there was none! (her dam is a bay roan)

But after just a week or so...I could tell when parting her hair that she DID have roan hairs coming in.

Here is Baylee at just one day old.

f41d4c61.jpg

And here she is at a couple months old after her first clipping.

f39d27c9.jpg

And here she is after her second clipping....even lighter (3 mo.)

f351c966.jpg

CountryHaven....your Silver Roan is really cool!
default_yes.gif
:

Sharon, your colt is the same color as my filly this year.

Shasta is out of Buttercup{ chocolate silver dapple} mare

And by Smokie {black/blue roan} stallion

Shasta is rubin off hair on her head and butt , on her butt i'm not seeing any roan yeat.

I was told by an old horseman that roan horses roan out after there a month old.

Or after the first shedding.

Bandit my yearling colt out of same sire and dam was black born and roaned out after he was a month old.

He is full out roan now.

I love that silver roan colt.
default_yes.gif
:

Sharon would love to see more pics of your colt.

My Silver Roan filly was evidently that at birth but her mother , who is a visual Black Roan but a genetic Bay Roan, was solid Bay at birth, so No, they are not necessarily born Roan, in fact none of my Roans has been born Roan, before this one.

They do shed to Roan in their first coat, though
default_yes.gif
:

Here is a picture of my Filly that was born May 3. I thought she was black and white but now that she is shedding I'm seeing blue roan. You can see the white hairs coming through on her face and she has some spots on her rump where she is shedding off too with the same coloring. Dam is Blue Roan and Sire is Black and White.

Angel730.jpg

Here is a picture of my Filly that was born May 3. I thought she was black and white but now that she is shedding I'm seeing blue roan. You can see the white hairs coming through on her face and she has some spots on her rump where she is shedding off too with the same coloring. Dam is Blue Roan and Sire is Black and White.

Angel730.jpg

This looks more like Sabino roaning to me. True Roans should not roan on their heads/faces. The points of a Roan (head, lower legs, mane & tail) should remain dark. Altho...mane & tail sometimes has roan hairs mixed in.

THank you guys
default_yes.gif
: Country Haven my colt looks a lot like your filly
default_yes.gif
: I hope I can see some new pics of her. I clipped him yesterday and he is super frosty lokking especially over the rump
default_yes.gif
: His head stayed dark, and I can see definate shaded points above his knees. I am having a hard time trying to picture this color in my mind, it's crazy
default_wacko.png
:

PixiesBaby061.jpg

PixiesBaby060.jpg

PixiesBaby059.jpg

PixiesBaby058.jpg

I took these this morning, I don't know if you can see the shading in these photos or not.

Angel730.jpg

This looks more like Sabino roaning to me. True Roans should not roan on their heads/faces. The points of a Roan (head, lower legs, mane & tail) should remain dark. Altho...mane & tail sometimes has roan hairs mixed in.

Thanks Dona! :saludando: I sent you a PM about Sabino Coloring.

Latest posts

Back