Color question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iowa

Reaction score
I know a horse that has its sire listed as sorrel and the dam is palamino. They say that one of their foals is white/cremello, but this is not possible is it? In what situations could this even happen? Even going back it doesn't look like there was any dilute gene on the sire's side. Both parents of the sorrel sire are listed as chestnut. If the sorrel had a cream gene wouldn't he be palomino? Just wondering how this could happen.

Here is the pedigree with the names of the horses left off.

Sire: sor 33.5

Colt w 30.5

Dam: pal 33.25

Last edited by a moderator:
No....not possible. To get cremello...both sire & dam would have to pass the creme gene to the foal. A palomino would have one copy of creme, but a Sorrel would not carry creme.

Either the wrong stallion is listed as the sire of the colt......or the colt is not Cremello.

Does the colt have blue eyes? A cremello would have to have blue eyes. If it doesn't, it may just be a very light colored Palomino. If it does have blue eyes....could they be caused by an overo gene? Are either of the parents pinto?

A white foal could actually be a max white Sabino.

I found a picture of the horse in question and he does not have blue eyes. I think he must be a very light palomino and the listing as white is wrong. No parents were listed as pinto. It was on All Breeds Pedigree so it could be wrong. I don't know what they have for his color with the AMHA. I know he does carry the cream gene as one of his foals is a true cremello out of a palomino. Guess I should call the owners and ask if I need to know!

You definitely cannot get a cremello from a true sorrel and a palomino.

I agree, he might be a very light palomino, or maybe a max white of some kind?
default_unsure.png

I found a picture of the horse in question and he does not have blue eyes. I think he must be a very light palomino and the listing as white is wrong. No parents were listed as pinto. It was on All Breeds Pedigree so it could be wrong. I don't know what they have for his color with the AMHA. I know he does carry the cream gene as one of his foals is a true cremello out of a palomino. Guess I should call the owners and ask if I need to know!
OK....with dark eyes, he is definitely not a double dilute. He is most likely just a light Palomino.
default_wink.png

You can get palomino from sorrel........but for cremello you need the dilute gene from BOTH sides in some form.

Colors in the stud book/registry could also be wrong.

I know a horse who has his sire listed as sorrel and his dam as palomino and he is buckskin. But how can that be because buckskin is black based????

We ALL know this horse as a matter of fact....

Many horses that are listed as solids ARE a form of pinto.
default_smile.png

Big snips are Splash, many/most face markings are Splash (some are Sabino) and if you breed those two "solids" together, you can sometimes get wild Splash horses or Maximum Sabinos (depending what pattern they carry)

They might look solid with markings but they still carry those pinto patterns and Can throw them!

REO and Targetsmom = TRUE FACT.

I know of a mini stallion (not our own) who was listed as solid......He ended up having a salad plate sized color spot on his BELLY. He was color tested as HOMOZYGOUS.

I also know of a mare only showing two tiny white marks on her feet, but she was tested as TOBIANO.

Please remember that the Registries do NOT know color! (AMHR is at least beginning to be more open minded, IMO)

I know a horse who has his sire listed as sorrel and his dam as palomino and he is buckskin. But how can that be because buckskin is black based????
It could be that his dam is actually a smokey silver bay, not truely a palomino. (??)
default_unsure.png

It could be that his dam is actually a smokey silver bay, not truely a palomino. (??)
default_unsure.png
It's just as likely the "sorrel" sire is actually a misidentified Silver Bay.

Pictures would probably tell the story...can you tell us who it is, or do you have pictures of the sire and dam? If "we all know him", and he is a buckskin, could it be who I think it is?
default_rolleyes.gif
default_laugh.png
Edited to add...yup, it IS who I thought it was... There HAS to be pictures of his sire and dam.

default_unsure.png
My first mini was a 13 year old mare that was registered as a palomino. She was in fact a silver and I did get questioned about it when I took her to a show, but they let it pass. I guess her original breeder thought the white mane and tail made her a palomino, plus it is sometimes hard to tell a color on a foal. Her parents were listed as unregistered. It was a few years ago when unknowns were hardshipped in AMHR.

Latest posts

Back