Color Question please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minimomNC

Reaction score
Bred solid chestnut stallion to solid sorrel mare, resulting foal is solid sorrel with one blue eye.

Now I know the stallion probably carries frame through his dam, she has two blue eyes and her sire was LWO+. He also carries silver through his sire. He also sired a silver bay from a bay pinto so I know the silver is there.

The mare is sired by a solid chestnut out of a sorrel pinto, lots are solid red in the background some red pintos. But no blue eyes.

So I know the blue eye must come from the sire, does this mean he does carry frame (tested LWO neg) and can pass it as well as silver.

And if he is bred to a LWO+ mare, are the chances greater for a colorful foal.

Or is this just a fluke with the blue eye.

The colors are what is listed in AMHA. I know the colors are accurate on the generations listed of both horses.

its possible the blue eye could also be caused by splash but if it is caused by LWO+ (and you should test) if that is the case then please dont breed him to a LWO + mare you dont have more chance of pinto but you do have a 25% chance of a dead foal

Hey

Not one of my blue eyed horses have ever tested LWO positive,, even the ones that had a LWO parent.

I would test.
default_smile.png

I don't really understand eye color. Is there any web site that explains equine eye color? Just curious
default_smile.png

My colt... born with brite blue eyes... now are a funny grey/green/blue... weird......

~Sandy

Bred solid chestnut stallion to solid sorrel mare, resulting foal is solid sorrel with one blue eye.

Now I know the stallion probably carries frame through his dam,

So I know the blue eye must come from the sire, does this mean he does carry frame (tested LWO neg) and can pass it as well as silver.

And if he is bred to a LWO+ mare, are the chances greater for a colorful foal.
You say the stallion "probably carries frame.." and then ask "does this mean he does carry frame (tested LWO neg)"

Frame and LWO+ are the same thing. Are you saying he was tested LWO neg? If he WAS tested and is LWO-, then the blue eye is most likely from splash, which they don't have a test for yet. And if he WAS NOT tested, then the blue eye could be from frame or splash and you should definitely get him tested. You should not breed LWO+ to LWO+ - all you do is increase the chance of getting a dead foal - you do NOT increase the chance of getting a frame overo!

There are lots of solid appearing minis - especially those with Rowdy blood - that are LWO+.

BTW, Two of our blue eyed minis have tested LWO+ - Max and his dam - so don't assume anything there!

Ok, let me restate. He has been tested and is LWO-. I did that before I started breeding outside mares. I knew my mares were neg already. So now I can assume that the blue eye is from splash instead of frame. I just want to know what information I can give people asking to breed to him. I did breed a LWO+ mare to him this year and the new owner was asking about what color she could expect. And yes, I sent her to the color calulator with what information I knew. He is solid chestnut, carries silver and is not frame.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back