color question on 2012 colt

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not think he is Palomino- there is actually no genetic reason why he could not be, but that "cast" to his coat just makes me suspicious. I have bred an awful lot of Palominos in my time and although they can, of course, be that dark, I have never had one that colour, personally.
He real life he has that silver cast to his coat; it doesn't always show in pics.

Yes, I’m probably wrong but the only reason I thought of palomino is because in this older photo, He appears to have a lot more Gold color under the baby fuzz (around his eyes). Unless this is a silver buckskin we are looking at.

Now correct me if I’m wrong but my smokey silver blacks never had this shad of gold in their coats. Again I never had a smokey silver black as a foal, just full grown mares so I’ll be grateful to admit that I’m wrong.
Silver buckskin is something I suspect with those golden goggles he had mid-summer, but without testing we won't know for certain. When extra funds are available, I may consider having him tested, if he's here long enough. He's supposed to be for sale, but I'm not a very good salesperson.

He really looks black based to me so I can't see him as a palomino. Some sooty silver buckskins are darker like this guy, but he just looks silver smokey black to me. They often go through stages of looking like palominos. Supaspot on here has a stallion who did that very same. If she showed you foal pictures through yearling yr pictures you'd swear he was palomino. He is tested and now very much appears as a silver smokey black.

I was looking through my photos and found a photo that looks similar to your guy just without the silver and a bit darker.

This is my guy Cooper when he was about 3 months old (from the other colour thread, everyone voted smoky black)

cooper (2) - Copy.jpgcooper 2 - Copy.jpg

They both have the golden goggles, so i think that might be the smoky black, and then the lighter colour on your guy i think is a result from the silver. (sorry if this doesnt make sense haha)

post-2416-0-84398100-1358521428_thumb.jpg

Anyway i agree that he is silver smoky black (although im definitely not a colour expert)

They both have the golden goggles, so i think that might be the smoky black, and then the lighter colour on your guy i think is a result from the silver. (sorry if this doesnt make sense haha)

[Anyway i agree that he is silver smoky black (although im definitely not a colour expert)
Yep, makes sense.

Latest posts

Back