color help!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steph G

Reaction score
I have an '08 colt that has me stumped. I keep flip-flopping back and forth as to what color he is. He was born late so never fully shed out and was not clipped. His face shed out before fall hit and it was the color of his mom (very light palomino). His mane started out red, but is now white just like his tail. He has a lot of white hairs scattered all over his body. His legs look to be a silvery color.

Is there a such color as orange!!!
default_wacko.png

Anyway, just check out my photobucket. He's the only "orange" foal.

http://s262.photobucket.com/albums/ii103/minis140/

Steph

I am certainly no colour expert but I'd say he's a palomino and i think he will shed out in the spring to a more golden colour with less of the reddy tone to it. What a cute little crumpet he is.

Congrats on a gorgeous boy!! But you might have to wait till spring to see what is under that coat.

I have had both palominos and chestnuts born here. And your boy looks kinda like my Red Hot Chili Pepper boy did as a baby. Born really red, got lighter with age, but is definitely a chestnut/flaxen today at three years of age. And when clipped looks very palomino.

It takes the "red gene and the creme gene" to make palomino. Just for fun check out the following website.

www.doubledilute.com/color-chart.htm

or just google palomino to see all the various shades of palomino.

Wendy

Does he have a silver parent, I think he is silver sorrel...any stripes on his hooves?

I'm not sure what he is but I wanted you to know how gorgeous he was, what a cutie..... TJ

He looks like a silver dorrel to me. Any palomino I have had born (I have had quite a few) always has a white mane and tail at birth.

Typically a palomino will be lighter, almost white when their winter coats come in, then darken in the spring and darken with age. My palomino stallion Riverdances Desperado, is a very dark palomino, but he gets rather light with his winter coat.

Pale Chestnut + Pangaré
100% agree with Rabbit. No doubt in my mind. My Scarlet born this year was as red as red can be when she was born...hence the name Scarlet
default_rolleyes.gif
. But now (when clipped I should say) everyone how doesn't know her calls her a palomino. And she does "look" palomino, but I don't have to have her tested to know she's pure sorrel/chestnut!
default_wub.png
I've had one other sorrel horse that when clipped also looked palomino.

He sure is a cutie!!!!
default_wub.png
:wub I'm gonna guess chestnut too, though he does look just like mom in one of those pics!

His mom is a palomino and dad is a sorrel son of Sids Rebel. His mom has a palomino sire and a silver dapple dam, so the silver may be coming from her. I'm not sure what color his sire's dam is though.

He was born with a white tail, but red mane. I'm just trying to get his registry papers sent in and I'm stuck on what color to put down.

I'll have to go out and look at his feet. I don't know if they're striped or not. He does have the silvery looking legs though.

Steph

BTW - Thanks for the compliments. I'm afraid he knows how cute he is. He doesn't go anywhere without his tail up. In fact he almost got named bucky (not by me) because he looked like a white tailed deer.

I had a colt born this year and he was also a very bright red. when we got to clipping him so we could start showing he was a red roan.. Also he is out of a non-fading black stallion and a blue roan mare that has gold melody boy breeding. its hard to guess what color minis will be you just never know. charles

My Friend has 2 Fillies the Same Color!

They are Both Red Duns (Sired by Silver Bay Dun Stallion)

Cute Boy btw

You could always color test him to be Sure
default_wink.png

I had a filly the exact same color when she was hairy. She was a silver red roan (I know weird), she was just a red roan with the flaxen mane and tail with silver highlights on her legs.

Melinda

tn_MCS_0041.jpg

Latest posts

Back