color help on this guy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Relic

Reaction score
This is one of the stallions here coming 5 and was solid chestnut when l got him as a baby now the past year he's gotten a lot of light hairs throughout on his head and just starting on the back legs and coming in on his back plus l have no idea what or where he got the white spots there's a few now at first when l saw the one in the picture is wasn't that big this happened in the past 2 weeks one on his side the others between his front legs. l though ringworm but it isn't and doesn't look like an old injury grown over either. Color dummies here any ideas...l call him my sorrel man all looks the same to my eye.

crazyguy005.jpg

crazyguy.jpg

His color looks a lot like a gelding I own and call "silver chestnut sabino roan". Of course, I have no current pictures of him, but the color is very similar. Mine is out of a silver dapple sabino pinto x palomino.

Silver does not show on Red.

He is a Chestnut with Flaxen, and possibly Sabino.

The spots are called Birdcatcher spots.

I know many people will swear silver does not show on red, but there are others who think that it does on some horses with the lightening up of the fetlock area. My hunch is that your boy has silver, but of course, it's only a hunch :bgrin

I second the "silver bay" color. I just got to see the yearling colt from my stallion (avatar -silver dapple) and a chestnut (or maybe silver bay) roan-looking mare. He looks the exact same. The mane and tail are pure white and the body the reddish chestnut color.

He's probably a Silver "Wild"-Bay with Sabino roaning, which is causing the white hairs you are seeing.

Wild bays don't have as much of the black on their lower legs. And of course, when Silver is added, it dilutes what dark color there is. Hence, the reason his legs don't show much of the bay coloring.

Silver on Red is not a matter of opinion- sorry- it does not show on Red- this is the ONLY place I have ever heard the theory that it does.

The cream around the lower legs is caused by Flaxen- even my Red Dun has some cream round his lower legs on top of the dark shading- due to Flaxen not Silver!!!

If you really want to know I would test him for Silver and Black.

Dona is quite right though about the Wild Bay thing- funny I never considered a Wild Silver Bay- more than possible.

I tend to take the the simplest route though and he is not a typical Silver Bay- has he ever sired Silver??

Last edited by a moderator:
I know many people will swear silver does not show on red, but there are others who think that it does on some horses with the lightening up of the fetlock area. My hunch is that your boy has silver, but of course, it's only a hunch :bgrin
I am in that camp. I have a chestnut filly she is now 3 she shows silver in her mane it is flaxen however it has silver hairs in it as well. I have clipped her several times she does not show the usual silvery or gray color of a silver based horse clipped she is the pumpkin shade of a chestnut but like I said it is very visable in her mane and tail

Lisa could you e-mail a good picture to Sarah at Equine Color??

She is starting a log of Red based horses tested with the Silver gene whose owners feel they show the Silver- they have to be tested though.

Yep I will..I will send her a picture of the mare as well as one with a big clipped strip on her neck so you can see there is no silvery or gray tint she is chestnut true and true.. but i am 95 percent ok actually 99 percent sure this mare carries silver

and one of her mane I will take those this weekend so you can see the silver hairs .

She is out of a silver dapple and by a buckskin

Last edited:
Great but the mare does have to be tested for Silver for it to be any use- guesswork is not enough- I think what Sarah is trying to do is to build a gallery of horses their owners thought carried Silver- the reasons why they thought it and the results of the subsequent tests.

So far the only Chestnut I have seen who is tested for Silver has a red mane and tail- no blond at all!!!

Okay the guy l posted his sire is Lazy NS Boogerman who l'm certain is a chestnut and my guys dam was a buckskin. He's only had 2 foals to date and that was this spring here's the foals both out of bay mares...what color are the FOALS for paperwork l call them as l see them sorrel but l don't have a good color eye and also see pink as red. l still don't know what my Booger son's color should be for his paperwork is he chestnut?? l see today he has more of the round spots coming in on the one side and on his back seems to be getting more white or gray hairs. Good grief l'm afraid to clip this guy in case he's turning gray or something....

This is his second foal beside mom he's in the background

boogerpuff.jpg

His first foal

boogerspuds.jpg

Latest posts

Back