Color Folks

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That last horse is a definite true gray (that was born another color) as Blue Boy was a true gray as well- so are many of his offspring. I would want to see pics of him when he was born, not after he grayed out. Some take years to gray out, some are gray by the time they are weaned.

I have to agree that mom is a silver bay and dad is a smokey black and foal is a beautiful palomino!! What a little doll. When that palomino color comes in golden and those beautiful bright blue eyes...ooohhhlala!! She can come live with me anytime!!
default_wub.png

Dam is silver bay and sire is (not brown!) blue-eyed, looks silver to me, as I've seen some awfully dark silvers or could he be a dark buckskin?

Here are two of ours for comparision - bad photos but that's the photographer!!!

Jiji - sorrel sire x silver buckskin dam. Jiji is registered palomino but we'e question if that is correct or not. I've never had her tested yet.

jiji_8_28_01.jpg
jiji_01-06.JPG

Dash - bay pinto sire x palomino dam. Dash is a blue eyed palomino pinto

dash_5-1-02_10.jpg
dash2_lside_6-1-06.JPG

Jiji - sorrel sire x silver buckskin dam. Jiji is registered palomino but we'e question if that is correct or not. I've never had her tested yet.
jiji_8_28_01.jpg
jiji_01-06.JPG
This gal looks silver buckskin to me, NOT palomino..

The true gray son of FWF Blue Boy (sire of the stallion) could very well be carrying silver, as I believe I learned on this forum that Blue Boy carried the silver gene. So the "brown" sire could easily be carrying silver as others said. Testing will answer your questions.

Thank you all so much for your help and added pictures to compare! I have enjoyed reading everyones post on the matter. I will have them tested for sure and let y'all know what the out come is!
default_yes.gif

Like Miniv said (Is color genetics FUN????
default_rolleyes.gif

I totally agree!
default_biggrin.png

Joyce

Here is our silver buckskin filly.. When she was born she was very "peachy" color which at first I thought she was palomino, but she had a smokey tint to her mane/tail.. After posting her on here, we determined that her dam was a silver bay, not a sorrel with flaxen mane/tail.. Her sire is our buckskin stallion..

FOAL:

Trixie17days.jpg

Trixie17days2.jpg

WEANLING:

Trixieext.jpg

101_0888.jpg

(Even in the pic above some people would think she was palomino with the light yellow tinted body and blonde mane/tail)

YEARLING:

DSCI0010.jpg

DSCI0027.jpg

And now as a 2 year old:

Trixie6.jpg

Trixie5.jpg

Trixie3.jpg

Trixie2.jpg

I would be willing to bet the dam is Silver Bay (I am 100% sure on that, she is a classic Silver Bay in my mind) the sire is a little trickier, but I would guess at Smokey Silver Black.

The baby I have no idea! But for $25 per color it would be worth it to test for silver and cream for sure!!!

Let us know!

I pulled hair on my own foal today to pay the $50 to test for tobiano and LWO, I figure it's better to KNOW than to just guess at phenotypes!

Andrea

Silver buckskin can be really interesting... see my filly, Harrells Flirting With Perfection, in chronological order. I will get pics of her this season as well, she is now a gorgeous 2yo. I just love this girl and all her color changes, but she has gone from looking buckskin to silver bay to palomino and back to buckskin. Her dam is a nice Reflection daughter that I own and her sire is a Buck Echo bred perlino stallion (so that she is cream dilute has always been known -- but to look at her at some points, you'd not have known it).

Flirt%2006012006%20wet%201.jpg

Flirt%2006062006%203.jpg

FLIRTFACE%2006212003.jpg

Flirt%2007102006%206.jpg

Flirt%2008262006%203.jpg

Flirt%2011052006%2018.jpg

Flirt%20--%202007%20VMHC%20Summer%20Classic%20--%20100%20Touched.jpg

Latest posts

Back