Color Experts......

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SBrown

Reaction score
Edited to add additional photos and text to clarify............

We thought at first this filly, Thousand Oaks Lancelots Lady Stetson, was black but now as a yearling she clipped off more a dark liver color. Smoky do you think?

6485.jpg
6483.jpg

Sire of Lady Stetson, Thousand Oaks Sirs Lancelot, a silver bay (his sire is a bay pinto and dam is a sorrel pinto)

Lance250A.jpg

Sire of Sirs Lancelot, a bay pinto (grandsire of Lady Stetson on top)

CrossCountrysCallMeSir.jpg

Dam of Sirs Lancelot, a sorrel pinto (granddam of Lady Stetson on top)

Rosebud288.jpg

Dam of Lady Stetson, Harlans Jesters Exquisite, a palomino pinto with a previous foal (Harlans Jesters Exquisite's sire is listed as a solid chestnut and dam a cremello according to the studbook)

Sissy270.jpg

Thanks for your input!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks more like silver at work to me. Her sire is a silver bay, not a sorrel. There could very well be cream there, but I would guess more on silver black.

All 3 are lovely!!! I would bet she has a cream gene. I have had several dnaa tested that were chocolate looking and they have all carried cream. Of course she could have silver too, lol. Time for a dna test

I would agree with Silver. The stallion shown is definately Silver Bay, but if I'm reading correctly, that is not the sire of the filly??? If both parents are actually Sorrels (or even Silver Bay), it is impossible for the foal to carry Cream.

I also bet she is smoky. I just sent Erica the stuff to test our Destiny for cream to see if he is smokey silver black... My hunch on your girl is that she carries cream but not silver, just looking at the darkness where here tail is colored and her forelock. With Destiny, his mane and tail are not as light as a plain silver dapple, since supposedly the cream inhibits the lightening silver would normally do. However, his mane and tail are still considerably lighter than his body where on your girl, the color looks to match her body color.

I would agree with Silver. The stallion shown is definately Silver Bay, but if I'm reading correctly, that is not the sire of the filly??? If both parents are actually Sorrels (or even Silver Bay), it is impossible for the foal to carry Cream.
I added more information to my original post. Yes, the silver bay stallion pictured, Thousand Oaks Sirs Lancelot, is the sire of the filly and Lancelot's parents are the bay pinto and sorrel pinto I included pictures of.

The dam of the filly is Harlans Jesters Exquisite, the palomino pinto at the bottom.

She is a Silver Bay X Palomino- right????

I think she needs to be tested- and I would test for Cream and Silver- she obviously has not got Agouti.

It just is not possible to tell a Smoky Black by eye- a lot are just black as black- I think it is when Cream and Silver get thrown into the mix that things start changing.

The only way to be sure is to test- she could easily be that colour and be "just" Black!!!

She is a Silver Bay X Palomino- right????

I think she needs to be tested- and I would test for Cream and Silver- she obviously has not got Agouti.

It just is not possible to tell a Smoky Black by eye- a lot are just black as black- I think it is when Cream and Silver get thrown into the mix that things start changing.

The only way to be sure is to test- she could easily be that colour and be "just" Black!!!
Yes, the filly is a Silver Bay x Palomino. Test results will be interesting.

Latest posts

Back