Color Experts Please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Debby - LB

Admin / Mod
Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]2009 Colt -Walbon Tequilla Sunrise[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Pictured with his Dam: LN Putting on the Ritz[/SIZE]

TequilaSunrise3_sm.jpg

TequilaSunrise2.jpg

TequilaSunrise1.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]His maternal Grandsire: Falabella Guille [/SIZE]

FalabellaGuille.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]his maternal Granddam: G ES Golden Girl, is a Palomino [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]And now his Sire: HSF Hilltops Whippoorwill[/SIZE]

whip.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]Who is by Toyhorse Treacle and out of HSF Willow[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I would like to know what all his color patterns are!!!!??? I think he is a apron faced, medicine hat, sorrel splash, tovero! He might even be a pintaloosa. You probably can"t see it on the pictue but in the sorrel area on his back he has some white snowflaking!!!!!! Let me know what you think!?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]posted for: Bonnie Smith[/SIZE]

Walbon Acres

Last edited by a moderator:
He is definitely splash! I can't see the appaloosa but very possible with his pedigree.

I see no indication of tobiano in either your cute baby or the parents, so he's not a tovero. He's splash overo, possibly with an appy gene if there is indeed snowflaking or any mottling. Appy characteristics could always show up later if he doesn't have them now.

He's adorable!

Pat

I want to thank Debby for posting this on the Forum for me. I am a computer idiot and I can't post pictures. I am very curious about his markings and genetics. His dam is a "brown" snowflake App. Debby posted pictures of his sire and maternal grandsire. His sire, Whippoorwill, has sired several tobiano pintos from solid colored mares. "Whip" has also sired several solid color foals with blue eyes! Whip's sire is a red dun and his dam is a silver dapple like him. I am really curious about what everyone thinks his markings and color patterns are!!!??? It is hard to see the slight "frosting" in the red area on his back.

He is a Splash White....you can call him "overo" if you wish
default_rolleyes.gif

His sire does appear to be a strange colour/pattern.....have you got any full body pictures??

It must all have come from his dam as Treacle is a plain Red Dun.

Dam does have Appy characteristics so it is possible that the foal has Appy characteristics that are "masked" by the pattern but since there is no test for Appy (and not likely to be one any time soon it would seem) it would not be correct to describe him as Pintaloosa as he does not show the pattern...what you see could just as easily be Sabino as Appy.

He is a nice loud chap though, so just enjoy him.

Oh and he is not Medicine Hat, sorry!

I would like to see full photos of his sire as well. His sire looks sabino and that could be creating the frosting on the colt.

Sire must carry splashed white. The dam certainly does not!

Just nosing around on your website there is definitely more evidence of splash in that line. I see that one of his sons, Strike Em Out, looks pretty much like a classic tobiano. I think he actually got that from his dam as her leg markings look like minimal tobiano to me. He must have also gotten the splash from his sire as Strike Em Out has sired some loud splash babies himself as well. Also I wanted to point out that the blue eyes in his foals would also be from the splash gene.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to thank everyone that have replied. I really love all my foals but he is so unique and he has a great personality also. (all his brothers and sisters are all very friendly!) If you go to my web site you can see pictures of some of his maternal sibs. Look at Walbon Victory, He is all white with just a red V on his fore head. He is a 3/4 (?) brother. Rabbitfizz and Joanne - I can't post a full body picture of "Whip" (his sire) but Whip is a true silver dapple just like his dam. If you go on the All Breed Pedigree Query web site and look up HSF Hilltop Whippoorwill you can see a full body picture of Whip. Thank you crponies, Rosaroca, and CheyAut for you comments. Pedigrees, color patterns and genitics really fascinate me. I wish I knew about genetics. Rabbitfizz you are probably right about sabino but I was really hoping for pintaloosa! Also Rabbitfizz why is he not considered a medicine hat?

Also Rabbitfizz why is he not considered a medicine hat?
Not Rabbitfizz, but I think I can answer this one... Too much color to be medicine hat, they only have a "hat" of color on top of their head and around the ears. Your boy has connecting red all down his neck, so too much color.

Oh, and congrats on a very cute little colorful guy.

I am by far an expert, but from what I know he is not a medicine hat. To be that the color can only be around the ears with white all the way around like a "hat" The reason he is getting that look from the front is because he looks to be what they call a bald face. Apron face usually has color down one side or at least around one eye.

As far as the rest goes I can't help you there.

Quite right Chanda, a medicine Hat is just that, it has only a "hat" of colour around it's ears.

However the way that the colour is attempting to isolate around the head like that indicates Splash and Sabino.

I am reserving judgement on Tobinao...I do actually think it is there, that is why I asked about Whip.....I can't navigate that stupid site, sorry, I just cannot get the hang of it, any chance you could give me a direct link to the picture???
default_yes.gif

Rabbitfizz - If you go to http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/hsfhilltopswhippoorwill then you will see his pedigree. You should then see a space marked reports, click on that and the click on photos. I hope that will help. I wish I could post pictures or even email them but I am a computer idiot! "Whip" is a true silver dapple with the white mane and tail and he does have a white star. That is the only white markings that he has. Hope this helps. Thank you for your comments and now I understand about the medicine hat.

Thanks for trying but this place hates me....it just says "horse cannot be found"!!!!!
default_gaah.gif

Back