Color DNA results

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sedeh

Reaction score
100_3476.jpg

I just got the color DNA results back on my filly from this year. Nikki tested Tobiano TT(homozygous), Red Factor EE(homozygous black) and Aouti Aa(heterozygous bay factor). Color genetics are soooo not my thing! I know she'll always throw tobiano but does this mean she'll most likely throw either black or bay foals??

yep, she is homozygous black so all of her foals will be black based. Some of them will be bay. If you were to breed her to a dilute you could get a smokey black or a buckskin. Never will she produce a chestnut (nor palomino either, if bred to a dilute)

Congrats - I would say that is a very nice position to be in and a cute filly too!

Her foals will all be tobiano (of course) and black based, but you could get silver dapple (if bred to stallion with silver gene) or silver bay... And as Minimor said if you add in a cream gene, you can get buckskin.

Also if bred to dun, you can get the black based duns such as bay dun, grulla etc. Also, even though she is homozygous for tobiano, if you were to breed her to other patterns such as appy, splashed white, sabino, frame etc., she can throw those patterns in her foals, along with the tobiano. They will not necessarily be tobiano only.

default_thumbup.gif
Great news on those test results!! I'm still waiting to find out if my colt is homozygous tobiano...
default_wink.png

Thanks all!! It amazes me how many color combinations these guys can throw! It really is like Christmas every year at foaling season!

Latest posts

Back