Color and clipping

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessj

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! Many of yall know that I just got my first mini. I have a question about clipping. (im used to quarter horses and they dont require clipping, so forgive me if this is a silly question!) My mare is in her summer coat, and is black with a roan spot on her neck(it carries over in her mane, but not underneath the mane), a bit of roaning on her face, and alot of white hairs and light roaning sprinkled over her body. She also has a tiny bit of white on two feet and a couple of white spots on her back. My question is what color is she? And if she were clipped would she possibly look more roan than she does now? I dont know if it matters but she is only approx 3-4yrs old. I am attaching some pics. (one of them is from above over her back for those of you watching her foaling thread!)

111.jpg

222.jpg

333.jpg

444.jpg

I would say she is a Black Sabino, although the Sabino may easily be one of the forms that there is no test for. I doubt she is Frame, but I always recommend testing breeding animals for LWO (Frame) just to be sure.

I doubt clipping her would show much more white at this point. Summer coat is the most true color.

I bet they would love to see her on the Equine Colour Forum. I love the way the roan is on her neck and is a streak on her mane too - its very funky.

Unless she is sun bleached I wonder if she could be brown?

I didnt know there was an equine colour forum! I think she is just bleached. She looks much more black in person than she does in the pics. Thanks for the input...i didnt know what to call her! Ps... she was bred when i got her...not planning to breed again, to much headache and not enough sleep!!!

Sorry, but I cant remember if you told us who she is in foal too? Do you know what colour - because with your mare's most unusual colouring, I was thinking that the foal's colour might be very interesting!

Can you also find out exactly how old your girl is. To be foaling as a 3 year old may mean that she will required more care/food as she is still growing herself. Most folks dont breed from their mares until they are already 3, to foal in their 4th year at the earliest. You should be able to tell her age from her teeth as she is so young. It would be useful to know.
default_yes.gif

To answer your original question (sorry, I always get 'distracted' when answering posts!) I dont think that clipping her will make her look more of a roan, but as she ages she may go more roany anyway. But if you think about breeding from her again in the future, the I would have her tested for LWO just as a safety precaution.

Interesting indeed! She could be many colours. Tobiano often puts patches of colour as she has, under and on her mane. What colour are her sire and dam? That might help a little.

Lizzie

she isnt registered and I really don't plan to breed her. She came from someone who has only had her for a few months... and when he brought her to me he said oh by the way she maybe bred she was running with a "little bitty stud" so no clue about the dads color!!! she has lost her 3 year old teeth but not her 5. About to do a milk test now!

I have a blue roan that when not clipped is black but when we clip him he is roan.

We must remember that a true roan, has a dark face (no roaning) and intermingled light hairs on the body. Many horses have roaning throughout the body, but are not roans. Patches of roaning like colour, are often caused in Tobiano patterns. Small white spots.can also be cause by an ill-fitting saddle or harness, or an accident. (The hair and skin had been damaged and grown in white.) This is an interesting mare, and I shall be interested to see what the colour gurus say on the colour forum.

Lizzie

Very interesting pattern! She must be one (or more) of the pinto patterns mentioned, so you MIGHT be able to get her registered with the Pinto Association. They should be able to tell you if she has enough white to qualify as a pinto. http://www.pinto.org The white needs to have pink skin under it, which would not be the case if the white hairs were from an old injury.

just found out about dad of colt..... he is a leopard appaloosa! I don't know anything about genetics or color but appy is my favorite color!! what are some possible colt colors from this match?!?

I think the only pink skin is on her feet... I will check out in the sun tomorrow!

I can't post in the equine colour forum from my phone... Will do it later for sure though!

I tried to join that forum and it keeps telling me that my email or user id has been blacklisted! I kept trying different ids and even a different email....still wont let me in!

yup....both are hotmail accounts. that stinks! i dont have another email account!

Latest posts

Back